Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea U18s v Albion U18s March 3, 2021.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Clearly some really exciting talent coming through.

This is Tony’s plan, just like in Poker.. think long term.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Jack Leahy has already left, and Marcus Dackers and Nathan Jenkins are not being retained.

Leahy has gone to West Ham¿! Totally missed this. Surely we didn't release him for another Prem team to immediately pick him up?
Did we sell him?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Leahy has gone to West Ham¿! Totally missed this. Surely we didn't release him for another Prem team to immediately pick him up?
Did we sell him?

It happens all the time.

Off the top of my head I know of Marcel Lavinier who spent 12 years at Chelsea, only to be released at the end of last season. He joined Tottenham in October. Zech Medley started his scholarship at Chelsea but left after a few months and joined Arsenal. Brighton-born Charlie Gilmour spent 14 years at Arsenal before being released in the summer of 2019; he immediately joined Premier League Norwich City. Jayden Onen started off the 2017-18 season as a 1st-year scholar at Palace, but left a couple of months later. That December he joined us, only to move on in December 2018 to join Brentford.

Joseph Tomlinson was released by League Two Yeovil Town in May 2018, only to be signed by Premier League Brighton and Hove Albion. Lewis Freestone was released by League One Peterborough United in May 2019, only to be signed by Premier League Brighton and Hove Albion.

There are multiple examples every season of scholars (and U-23 players) being released by one Category One academy and joining another.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
It happens all the time.

Off the top of my head I know of Marcel Lavinier who spent 12 years at Chelsea, only to be released at the end of last season. He joined Tottenham in October. Zech Medley started his scholarship at Chelsea but left after a few months and joined Arsenal. Brighton-born Charlie Gilmour spent 14 years at Arsenal before being released in the summer of 2019; he immediately joined Premier League Norwich City. Jayden Onen started off the 2017-18 season as a 1st-year scholar at Palace, but left a couple of months later. That December he joined us, only to move on in December 2018 to join Brentford.

Joseph Tomlinson was released by League Two Yeovil Town in May 2018, only to be signed by Premier League Brighton and Hove Albion. Lewis Freestone was released by League One Peterborough United in May 2019, only to be signed by Premier League Brighton and Hove Albion.

There are multiple examples every season of scholars (and U-23 players) being released by one Category One academy and joining another.
I noticed that Jaydon Onen was on the Reading subs bench a couple of games ago.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Really wish the club would post more U18 content. This group are surely our best ever crop by some distance. Ifill, Emmerson and Moran look fabulous from what limited coverage I've seen.

Just also realised that Moran is already the highest assist maker in the u18 premier league for the Seagulls EVER. Admittedly we have only been in the u18 premier league for 5 years and the whole squad has improved/ received significant investment but to do it this quickly (17 matches) is phenomenal, other prior contenders have played 30-40 games.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Jack Leahy has already left, and Marcus Dackers and Nathan Jenkins are not being retained.

Had heard a whisper that Leahy would be getting a contract at West Ham (for whom he featured twice at U-18 level recently), but I guess a deal hasn't been done as he has featured in the Millwall U-23 side for the last couple of games:-

[TWEET]1376866806028193792[/TWEET]

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As a comparison, Danny Cashman scored 44 goals during his U-15 season, so it definitely gets harder as you get older!

Antef Tsoungui had already signed a professional contract in Jan 2020; I believe Todd Miller signed a three-year deal when he joined (so probably 2 years scholar/1 year pro or vice versa). Fynn Talley signed a pro in July.

Matt Everitt, Odel Offiah and Ed Turns have been offered pro deals.

Goalkeeper Toby Bull has been offered a third scholar year (he has suffered a couple of injuries, including fractured ulna/radius bones during a tour to Riga, Latvia in February 2020 and a foot injury last August).

Marcus Dackers has secured a two-year deal with League Two Salford City:-

[TWEET]1410566352834867201[/TWEET]

(He was born in Manchester and was in the Manchester City academy system before he moved to Albion in 2015-16 for his U-13 schoolboy season).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Marcus Dackers has secured a two-year deal with League Two Salford City:-

(He was born in Manchester and was in the Manchester City academy system before he moved to Albion in 2015-16 for his U-13 schoolboy season).

Well done that lad. Hope things go well for him.

Now, can you - or somebody else ITK - put me out of my misery? He was 'not retained' so he (or his agent) would been free to tout himself round any clubs he wanted to, looking for a pro contract. As we had let him go, obviously there was no trsnsfer fee - but is this one of the circumstances in which we get some sort of compensation for the six years training and development we invested in him?
And if so, any idea how much that is likely to be?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As a comparison, Danny Cashman scored 44 goals during his U-15 season, so it definitely gets harder as you get older!

Antef Tsoungui had already signed a professional contract in Jan 2020; I believe Todd Miller signed a three-year deal when he joined (so probably 2 years scholar/1 year pro or vice versa). Fynn Talley signed a pro in July.

Matt Everitt, Odel Offiah and Ed Turns have been offered pro deals.

Goalkeeper Toby Bull has been offered a third scholar year (he has suffered a couple of injuries, including fractured ulna/radius bones during a tour to Riga, Latvia in February 2020 and a foot injury last August).

It would seem that Jenkins has joined Hastings United, per this tweet from Saturday. I await the "more news" about Jenko....

[TWEET]1426536776324235270[/TWEET]

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Did we sell him?

Had heard a whisper that Leahy would be getting a contract at West Ham (for whom he featured twice at U-18 level recently), but I guess a deal hasn't been done as he has featured in the Millwall U-23 side for the last couple of games:-

I haven't seen any evidence yet that Jack Leahy has found himself a new club.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

I think this Leahy at Millwall is Tom, Jack's brother.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think this Leahy at Millwall is Tom, Jack's brother.

Whilst you are correct in that Tomas (who spent his U-13 and U-14 seasons with Albion) is now at Millwall (last season he was a 1st-year scholar), this was Jack. He made his first appearance for the Millwall U-23s in the reverse fixture against Bristol City on March 15 - Six goals at Calmont Road

Jack started in four successive matches, bookended by the Bristol City games; Tom made only one substitute appearance for the U-23s, against Barnsley on April 20.

Full details here on the youthhawk website, if you're interested - Youthhawk - Millwall U-23s 2020-21

Leahy.jpg

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here