Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Funeral Plan

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I have signed up for my body to be donated for medical science , thus relieving my nearest family of the need for a funeral altogether. I detest undertakers who charge the Earth , taking advantage of the emotional situation of the bereaved.

4/10 not even a good attempt.:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I detest undertakers who charge the Earth , taking advantage of the emotional situation of the bereaved.

That is harsh, imo

Ian’s company arranged my Mum’s funeral and these thoughts didn’t even cross my mind.

She would have come back to haunt me if I’d given her body to medical science at over 90 years old!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I raised this thread as I was cold-called by a company called Dignity.
My barriers are always hoisted pronto with any such call and Funeral Plans have never been on my agenda before.
Chap agreed to email me some literature and prices [which he duly did] and asked if he could call back in a week.
During that week, I went on Money Saving Expert [see link above] and this was helpful but Dignity was not one of the 3 listed provider comparisons, although the prices for the various "packages" were within a couple of hundred pounds [Dignity were slightly cheaper].

The price-locking appeals - I'm 60 now and hoping to get to 80+ but being a type 1 diabetic I'm well aware this may not be the case.
If I were to go first, I'm very sure the missus would absolutely welcome the one-call-sorts-all, kind of service.
£3,850 gets a decent policy: car, service, crem fees, everything but flowers & food at the wake.
A funeral in 10 years time is likely to be close to double this.
So, I've read all the Ts & Cs and it does seem like a good idea.

Any further thoughts / experiences welcome ....

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
We have both signed up with Golden Charter. After my MIL's funeral we realised we did not want to leave someone else the job of what felt like arranging a wedding in two weeks and paying for it. By the time I find out whether it's a good idea it will probably be too late!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought these plans offer no protection if the provider goes bust - is that right?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I got Sun Life because I fancy Carole Whwoaaardaman .

You also get 20% off dying if you go with the company Sun Life have teamed up with .

Plus my £110 free gift was delivered 3 months early !

Bargain , 8k of cover for £21 a month .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I got Sun Life because I fancy Carole Whwoaaardaman .

You also get 20% off dying if you go with the company Sun Life have teamed up with .

Plus my £110 free gift was delivered 3 months early !

Bargain , 8k of cover for £21 a month .

I’ve sold my soul to the devil............ wonderful rates I got.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Anyone bought one?
Anyone actually needed to use one?
Can you recommend a provider?
Seems a good idea/plan - anything to be wary of?

Not had to use one yet. When I do, I'll let you know how it went............:amex:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I raised this thread as I was cold-called by a company called Dignity.
My barriers are always hoisted pronto with any such call and Funeral Plans have never been on my agenda before.
Chap agreed to email me some literature and prices [which he duly did] and asked if he could call back in a week.
During that week, I went on Money Saving Expert [see link above] and this was helpful but Dignity was not one of the 3 listed provider comparisons, although the prices for the various "packages" were within a couple of hundred pounds [Dignity were slightly cheaper].

The price-locking appeals - I'm 60 now and hoping to get to 80+ but being a type 1 diabetic I'm well aware this may not be the case.
If I were to go first, I'm very sure the missus would absolutely welcome the one-call-sorts-all, kind of service.
£3,850 gets a decent policy: car, service, crem fees, everything but flowers & food at the wake.
A funeral in 10 years time is likely to be close to double this.
So, I've read all the Ts & Cs and it does seem like a good idea.

Any further thoughts / experiences welcome ....

Along similar lines are you also looking into a Lasting Power of Attorney as part of your planning for the future

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I thought these plans offer no protection if the provider goes bust - is that right?

Half right, these plans are not yet regulated by the FSA [due in 2023 I believe] - however, you are covered for such an event if your Plan provider is registered with the Funeral Planning Authority [most are]

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not had to use one yet. When I do, I'll let you know how it went............:amex:

Very pleased to hear you have not yet died. Also good to know that your parents don't yet need one either - maybe buy them one for Xmas, then you won't have to spend any of your inheritance on their funerals when the unthinkable happens. Maybe beneficial for siblings too [if you have any].

Yes, I realise you were just trying to be funny - wrong thread and wrong subject, old chap.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
That is harsh, imo

Ian’s company arranged my Mum’s funeral and these thoughts didn’t even cross my mind.

She would have come back to haunt me if I’d given her body to medical science at over 90 years old!

I am just working from my own experience with undertakers, notably when my mother died and the oily obsequious salesman did his best to talk my dad into expensive add-ons that Mum would never have wanted. The cost of funerals has often drawn negative comment from others besides myself.
You cannot give somebody's body for medical research . It has to be agreed by yourself while still alive. I see it as something useful - a means to help the next generation of anatomy students and budding surgeons , better they train on me dead than you alive, I think.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am just working from my own experience with undertakers, notably when my mother died and the oily obsequious salesman did his best to talk my dad into expensive add-ons that Mum would never have wanted. The cost of funerals has often drawn negative comment from others besides myself.
You cannot give somebody's body for medical research . It has to be agreed by yourself while still alive. I see it as something useful - a means to help the next generation of anatomy students and budding surgeons , better they train on me dead than you alive, I think.....

And those beautiful Albion coffins haven't changed your mind?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I love the arms race on these plans - you see a lot of ads on furlough! Join now and get a £100 gift voucher.

Join now and get a £105 gift voucher.

£110 gift voucher just for signing up.

Sun Life are now at £115. :) I remember when it was a Parker Pen just for enquiring.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I love the arms race on these plans - you see a lot of ads on furlough! Join now and get a £100 gift voucher.

Join now and get a £105 gift voucher.

£110 gift voucher just for signing up.

Sun Life are now at £115. :) I remember when it was a Parker Pen just for enquiring.

Win, win in this household. I've had my plan for several years now, and my other half decided it was about time he got sorted out. When he rang up, he was asked if he knew anyone who had a plan with them, so he told them about me.
We both got £100 M&S vouchers, because I had recommended him.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No, already have the older Enduring Power of Attorney - me on Missus and Missus on me - signed back in Sep-2007.

Enduring power of attorney only covers financial issues. You should add to it with a lasting power of attorney for health and welfare issues.

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

https://www.gov.uk/enduring-power-attorney-duties

You might want to cancel the EPA and replace with a financial LPA anyway, as the two are not the same. The LPA is easier to administer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here