Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] What salary would this job command?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m amazed at the amount of tasks they want you to do whilst barely parting with £100 a day.

Quite

I'd be keeping a few key facts close to my chest, they're clearly sapping you on the cheap.

Keep looking Spongey . . . . it will turn good.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I will have more money in my pocket. I had no commuting costs at my old job as it was so local.

Then I got the job at globe energy for a massive rise and thought I'd finally made it.

Then Lockdown 4 happened and I was released, the old company refused to take me back (covid, cost cutting, "you chose to leave us so tough shit attitude").

I took this one out of sheer desperation as I needed to get back into work quickly. I'm on a slightly higher basic than the old place but overtime is only paid at x1.3 not x1.5

Due to sheer volume of it I am down slightly and the commuting costs means I'm effectively down £200 a month.

This place is weird. It's a family run firm. But they're Plymouth Bretheren. Very strange people. Radio is banned as its against their religion to listen to music, won't do blood transfusions like JW etc.

They've even taken all the radios out of their company cars and lorries so the drivers can't listen to the radio when out.

They got me there on the premise that they needed someone with experience and the knowledge of lasers to get them more efficient. I've been there about 6 weeks as an operator looking at what's happening. Its an awful set up. They spent £0.5m on it with no knowledge at all. So I came on board.

Spent the last 6 weeks analysing it and wrote a report for them. They're going to (with my guidance) implement most of what I've suggested. But I'm here as an operator. With my experience and knowledge I should have come in as a bloody consultant!

But I'm here on not a great wage telling the people who don't know what they're doing how to do their jobs with none of the benefits of being a director or manager.

I only have 3 goals in my life right now.

Spend as much time as I can with my dad.

Spend time at home with the wife and kids, (working 12 hour days is bad enough but I'm currently on "lates" so 9.30am start, 6pm finish but all overtime has to be done after the shift to avoid doubling up with the other guy. This means I'm not finishing until 8.30pm or later). Then I'm up with the kids for breakfast school run as the wife has been able to start earlier at work and finish in time to do the s hool pick up. Sounds great but I have absolutely no down of free time whatsoever.

I just want a job doing normal hours like normal people and buy my own house and spend time in it doing it up.

I dont earn enough to buy anything I would consider a decent family home despite having the deposit. I know I'll be saving money with commuting costs but what I need to improve is the income figure. Its just not enough to get the LTV. There are options in different areas but I've already moved 5 times in my life (only 2 by choice). Due to me working in Horsham currently and the Mrs in Shoreham we need somewhere at least in the middle.

I was looking at Hailsham the other day but means a 70 mile round trip and would cost more for both of us.

Haywards Heath puts me closer but her further away. Lancing was an option but I'm now looking at working back in BUG.

It's a bloody nightmare.

Our 6 year old still goes to school in Hassocks and due to start primary in Sept. I want to pull her before then so only have one school change but unless we know where we're living what school do I try and get her into?

It's a bloody nightmare.

Sorry for the essay, a lot of it is general stuff and not aimed directly for you.

As you were gentlemen. Quite a good discussion going on here.

On plus side there’s no chance they will ever read about your online account of the firm!

Sounds to me like they need you a lot more than you need them. Even if unsuccessful elsewhere have you considered telling them you are acting way above the role they brought you in on and would be mutually beneficial to promote you and offer better terms?

I recall a business in Burgess Hill when I was younger and seemed to recall them (maybe my younger mind) not being allowed to use electricity fullstop, so how are they justifying this laser?

Somerset live appears to agree with me

“Until 2005, Brethren banned cellphones, computers and fax machines. The Brethren generally have been cautious in embracing new technologies brought about through the electronic age, concerned about how to use these technologies without any harm to the user.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Stick with it, it’s work and pay. Maybe you should wait for the outcome of the interview before taking on the PB.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Very interesting thread, and like others I really hope [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] finds someone worthy of his expertise. Definitely, 100% you should follow Barnet Seagull's advice and ensure they get you on some formal training for industry-recognised (or at least industry-relevant) skills. Getting some lean 6 sigma belts would be a very useful thing to put on your CV.

[MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] I really like the cut of your jib. If you haven't read it already, I think you should grab a copy of 'Corporate Rebels' by Joost Minnaar & Pim de Morree. They went around the world talking to a ton of different companies about how they work, and what makes them different. A lot of talk about salary transparency, one idea I like was that you make it optional for employees to share their salary, but they only get to see others that have shared if they do. Pretty much 100% of employees chose to do this. They also say that this promotes much better pay equality, as people don't want salary discrepancies between genders, race etc. Some fascinating ideas. Also a website https://corporate-rebels.com/

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Very interesting thread, and like others I really hope [MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] finds someone worthy of his expertise. Definitely, 100% you should follow Barnet Seagull's advice and ensure they get you on some formal training for industry-recognised (or at least industry-relevant) skills. Getting some lean 6 sigma belts would be a very useful thing to put on your CV.

[MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] I really like the cut of your jib. If you haven't read it already, I think you should grab a copy of 'Corporate Rebels' by Joost Minnaar & Pim de Morree. They went around the world talking to a ton of different companies about how they work, and what makes them different. A lot of talk about salary transparency, one idea I like was that you make it optional for employees to share their salary, but they only get to see others that have shared if they do. Pretty much 100% of employees chose to do this. They also say that this promotes much better pay equality, as people don't want salary discrepancies between genders, race etc. Some fascinating ideas. Also a website https://corporate-rebels.com/

I've read the book - it's great. But haven't seen the website - tvm...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here