Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] What salary would this job command?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
After my cluster**** of employment for the 12 weeks I have been approached by an agency about another job.

I havent been actively looking as I'm just still glad I've got a job right now but I left my profile on CVLibrary open.

This role sounds right up my street and is effectively what I was doing before I got royally ****ed over by the last bunch of Complete And Utter Shysters. And the bunch of Complete And Utter Shysters I then joined at the back end of last year.

To me it looks like a "supervisory or 'go-to" role as it reports to a Works Manager.

The thing is that I know the company. At my last engineering place I used to make a lot of their products and they are less than 100 yards down the road from the first Complete And Utter Shysters.

I know a few of the people who work there due to my dealings with them for the past 10 years.

I purposefully haven't added the salary offered and would like some input from your good selves before I think its worth going for....

JOB DESCRIPTION

Job Title: Production Engineer

Reports To: Works Manager

PURPOSE

 Carry out a wide range of assignments to improve the efficiency and quality of the production areas whilst also supporting the achievement of daily business goals and drive long term technical and cost reduction projects.

 To assist the Works Manager in all areas of day-to-day operations in accordance with Company standards

Duties and Responsibilities

 To manage and oversee the manufacturing process to ensure that it is run in smooth, lean and efficient manner.
 Support upfront data/software management of production processes.
 Undertake additional tasks and other reasonable duties as directed by the business from time to time.
 To be involved in and support all aspects of the factory production process including design, manufacturing, stock control and distribution.
 To input into the product design process to ensure that products can be produced in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
 To ensure that materials are researched and selected to ensure the right balance of quality and cost.
 To research, assess and implement improvements and efficiencies in the manufacturing processes.
 Train and develop colleagues and trainees as directed by the Works Manager.
 To ensure that any issues with the manufacturing process are investigated and fixed and to co-ordinate between departments to ensure any issues are resolved.
 To undertake quality investigations and to lead and ensure an ongoing culture of continuous process improvement.
 To ensure that all requirements under health and safety legislation are actively adhered to
 To ensure that the energy consumption and pollution levels are kept to a minimum
 Exercise own judgement and initiative.
 Work with limited supervision and to ensure all deadlines are met.

Person Specification

• Previous experience of working in a Production Engineering role
• Good communications skills and an ability to develop and maintain good working relationships.
• Good organisational skills and an ability to prioritise tasks.
• Maintain good level of accuracy and attention to detail when under pressure
• Self-motivated, able to use initiative and work effectively and responsibly without supervision.
• Awareness of confidentiality issues, including a sense of discretion.
• Ability to demonstrate a commitment to own personal development within the role.

Qualifications

The following are preferred and/or required:

• Ideally, have recent experience in a production environment or a related industry.
• HNC/HND in Mechanical/Manufacturing/Production Engineering or related subject
• Kaizen or Lean Manufacturing techniques
• Experience with CAD/CAM/Solidworks and CNC machine use
• Experience around Automatic Powder Coating lines
• GCSE English
• GCSE Maths
• Computer literate: ability to use varying internal systems.
• Experience of welding processes

Over to you.....

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
After my cluster**** of employment for the 12 weeks I have been approached by an agency about another job.

I havent been actively looking as I'm just still glad I've got a job right now but I left my profile on CVLibrary open.

This role sounds right up my street and is effectively what I was doing before I got royally ****ed over by the last bunch of Complete And Utter Shysters. And the bunch of Complete And Utter Shysters I then joined at the back end of last year.

To me it looks like a "supervisory or 'go-to" role as it reports to a Works Manager.

The thing is that I know the company. At my last engineering place I used to make a lot of their products and they are less than 100 yards down the road from the first Complete And Utter Shysters.

I know a few of the people who work there due to my dealings with them for the past 10 years.

I purposefully haven't added the salary offered and would like some input from your good selves before I think its worth going for....

JOB DESCRIPTION

Job Title: Production Engineer

Reports To: Works Manager

PURPOSE

Carry out a wide range of assignments to improve the efficiency and quality of the production areas whilst also supporting the achievement of daily business goals and drive long term technical and cost reduction projects.

To assist the Works Manager in all areas of day-to-day operations in accordance with Company standards

Duties and Responsibilities

To manage and oversee the manufacturing process to ensure that it is run in smooth, lean and efficient manner.
Support upfront data/software management of production processes.
Undertake additional tasks and other reasonable duties as directed by the business from time to time.
To be involved in and support all aspects of the factory production process including design, manufacturing, stock control and distribution.
To input into the product design process to ensure that products can be produced in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
To ensure that materials are researched and selected to ensure the right balance of quality and cost.
To research, assess and implement improvements and efficiencies in the manufacturing processes.
Train and develop colleagues and trainees as directed by the Works Manager.
To ensure that any issues with the manufacturing process are investigated and fixed and to co-ordinate between departments to ensure any issues are resolved.
To undertake quality investigations and to lead and ensure an ongoing culture of continuous process improvement.
To ensure that all requirements under health and safety legislation are actively adhered to
To ensure that the energy consumption and pollution levels are kept to a minimum
Exercise own judgement and initiative.
Work with limited supervision and to ensure all deadlines are met.

Person Specification

•Previous experience of working in a Production Engineering role
•Good communications skills and an ability to develop and maintain good working relationships.
•Good organisational skills and an ability to prioritise tasks.
•Maintain good level of accuracy and attention to detail when under pressure
•Self-motivated, able to use initiative and work effectively and responsibly without supervision.
•Awareness of confidentiality issues, including a sense of discretion.
•Ability to demonstrate a commitment to own personal development within the role.

Qualifications

The following are preferred and/or required:

•Ideally, have recent experience in a production environment or a related industry.
•HNC/HND in Mechanical/Manufacturing/Production Engineering or related subject
•Kaizen or Lean Manufacturing techniques
•Experience with CAD/CAM/Solidworks and CNC machine use
•Experience around Automatic Powder Coating lines
•GCSE English
•GCSE Maths
•Computer literate: ability to use varying internal systems.
•Experience of welding processes

Over to you.....

46k?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Isn’t like that like asking you how much I should be pricing my electrical jobs at? You probably wouldn’t have a clue either :shrug:

Although from reading the Job requirements they might just as well say ‘ fella how much you want to run the place ‘ :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I can't see the problem. If you already know them, do you think they would be good or bad to work for?

How much?

Can you do the job?

If the answers are "good to work for", "a lot", and "yes" then why not?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yeah good level of basic skills £30/32k

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
one pound fiddy.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Reads like two roles combined. An analysis/project role and then the bosses (works manager) gimp! If it was IT analysis I'd say 45k+ but I know IT pays well as its my field, so 35-45k ish? there's a lot of vagueness in there which would be a concern, but if its your industry and your comfortable with it then go for it :)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How does the role, prospects and package being offered compare to what you are on now? What do you think you are worth and how does this compare?

Not really sure why you are asking and I may have missed the point?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

I have a video interview tomorrow. I'd love £46k. Would solve nearly all of my problems.

That's the ballpark figure I had in my head.

Isn’t like that like asking you how much I should be pricing my electrical jobs at? You probably wouldn’t have a clue either :shrug:

Although from reading the Job requirements they might just as well say ‘ fella how much you want to run the place ‘ :lolol:

This is how I read it.

But the salary on offer is £25‐30k DOE.

I think its on the low side but from what I've researched it seems average for national salary. But this is the South East. I get the feeling with the engineering and manufacturing sector already on its knees due to competition from Eastern Europe and China (not even bringing Covid into the discussion) that companies are chancing their arm and advertising for the lowest bidder rather than what the job is worth.

I'm fully aware that there are lots of people unemployed and desperate for work, particularly in manufacturing/engineering as there are lots of small/medium firms going under. So companies like this are able to drive wages down as its an employers market right now.

I just want to earn enough to go to work to pay a mortgage and still have some kind of reasonable work/life balance.

With the wife still on part time wages and until we qualify for the 30 hours free childcare to allow her t go back to work full time I need to earn as much as I can.

Right now I'm on £28k. With 8 hours o/t a week guaranteed so bring in more than whats on offer here. But I will bring commuting costs back down to £0, and save £50pw on petrol commuting.

Although I will have more disposable income I still can't reach the LTV to get a mortgage.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I wouldn’t have a clue what the salary of the job is, sounds more complicated than changing taps and drinking tea at the same time. :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have the interview, don’t even talk about money if it’s easily avoided. Get them wanting you on board first, then have the money discussion......you’ll be in a stronger negotiating position.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wouldn’t get too hung up on the salary at this point. It’s not a million miles from your current salary.

Concentrate on the interview, making a good impression and asking about prospects, overtime, bonuses schemes etc. If they ask what salary you are on just say that you are currently near the top end of the range being offered plus overtime. If they like/want you they will offer something competitive and/or better prospects (that I would ask for in writing).
Remember, you don’t have to accept the first offer...... just ask for some time to think about it/discuss with the wife. It’s got to be worth a few £000 to them not to have to go thru the process again if they want you.
The interview is a two way process so have some questions lined up for them, eg where do you see the role in 2/3 years? Say you like working with targets and how do they incentive managers to beat these targets?
Good luck

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Have the interview, don’t even talk about money if it’s easily avoided. Get them wanting you on board first, then have the money discussion......you’ll be in a stronger negotiating position.

Sounds advice I'd say. You're always in much better position to negotiate when it's clear they're close to offering you the job. Sometimes it's difficult to swerve the question in the interview but I always hold back my wage expectations as late as possible.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
one-million-dollars-header-1-1-1024x576.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
£32,125

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If that's job description from PB it's probably a job washing pots and pans if so i reckon you will be looking at £8.42 a hour if your over 25 .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here