Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meridian News-Anyone watching?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Unforgettable story from back in about 2003. On holiday in LV where my brother was working. Out there with Mrs W and our 3 young lads, he got us a suite upgrade at Bellagio. Laying by the pool one day, middle son was 11 at the time, in the pool wearing an Albion shirt to protect him from the sun. He comes charging back to our sun beds excitedly to say a chap said to him “go and ask your Dad if he remembers Jimmy Case”. Which he did. We went running back to where he had seen Jimmy, and he had gone. Brother was a Director of MGM Group hotels at the time and confirmed, strictly confidentially of course, that Jimmy was on the guest list. We never got to meet him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was too young, naive to see stuff like that then. I followed the ball. Did you ever see Horton or The Tank administer off the ball justice? My Dad watching from the Chicken Run used to tell me about incidents post match. I’d been in the NS.

His autobio Hard Case is an unpretentious read. As a late teen he played for a dockers union team, then South Liverpool. Playing with and against thuggish 30 year olds twice his size. That shaped his ‘combative’ side, in a sink or swim environment.

(Another player like Ian Wright, Vardy and Stuart Pearce who were rejected by pro clubs, so made it via the non-league route).

His best mate Ray Kennedy and JC were eased out of Liverpool after fighting a North Wales hotelier in the middle of the night, both smashed, on a club trip. The Albion’s gain.

Thanks for that. Very interesting. Albion's gain, indeed.

By the time I saw Case administer Treatment I was wearing glasses. When I was younger I couldn't tell one player from another owing to undiagnosed myopia. After getting glasses I was transported to another world and became fascinated, watching things and people that had been virtually invisible, previously. A case in point (gedditt? ???) :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

By the time I saw Case administer Treatment I was wearing glasses. When I was younger I couldn't tell one player from another owing to undiagnosed myopia. After getting glasses I was transported to another world and became fascinated, watching things and people that had been virtually invisible, previously. A case in point (gedditt? ???) :wink:

I first realised I needed specs when the blackboards at school were blurry, age 14, when sitting at the very back being a nuisance.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Just seen this. The last thing you would have thought a football "hard-man" would be doing would be making owl-boxes! Good on him.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

It's strange as NSC appears to attract quite a few myopic types!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Typical of that era, he was a big boozer …. including before us with his best pal Ray Kennedy.

So pleased that he looked healthy, I’d hazard a guess that he’s given it up.

Lovely to see him. From a time when our heroes were so close to us :thumbsup:

(It's not a moan, just an observation :wink:)

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I absolutely loved JC.
I can remember going away to Leeds and losing 0-3 and that scoreline flattered us.
Our coach arrived back at Newtown Road at silly o clock and we noticed the team bus pull up.
We went over to see them get off the coach, and witnessed JC, Frank Worthington and Chris Hutchings all fall down the steps on to the floor.
They were all wasted, and when I asked where they were heading next, they said in to town.
Chris Hutchings got in to his BMW and drove all 3 of them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lovely to see him. From a time when our heroes were so close to us :thumbsup:

(It's not a moan, just an observation :wink:)

As a kid, I found out that my hero goalie Peter Grummitt lived at the back of Saltdean. I went there after school to get an autograph. I think I woke him up :lolol:

These days you’d have to negotiate an electric gate, security guards and K9.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here