Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meridian News-Anyone watching?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I went to his testimonial vs Liverpool at the Goldstone back in the day as a kid.

Remember lots of Albion fans all swamping the Liverpool spice boys (Fowler, McManaman, Redknapp) for autographs. I always thought that was embarrassing.. even then.

Seem to recall Le Tiss coming on for us and hitting the bar. Was a great night and I didn’t know much about Case, but he had an incredible response from the crowd. All the best to him and hope he gets well soon.

I went to that match too, it was a great night. I came back with autographs from Nicky Rust, John Byrne and Junior, obviously they were for a friend! ???

Jimmy is a really nice guy, glad to hear he's recovering. :clap:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We were still mocking the first article about a car that flipped onto its roof in a pub garden near Waterlooville.

Covered in great detail including the new mound of old turfs that will stop future crashes, apparently.

No one ever said how the car occupants were.

I seem to remember only one occupant, had to be cut free but minor injuries.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just watched a story on the effect of Covid on staff at
Winchester Hospital.They interviewed a Covid patient who is soon
to be going home.His name appeared on the screen it was Jimmy Robert.
He was a Scouser and I thought he looked very familiar.I thought that’s Jimmy Case
So I googled him and his middle name is Robert.Humble as ever glad your through it Jim
and thanks for that great strike at Highbury in 83
Anyone else see it?
UTA

You were right, great spot.
https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2021/03/02/former-albion-manager-and-1983-cup-run-hero-praises-staff-on-covid-ward/

Get well soon JC.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Well that’s definitely Jimmy Case was unaware he had been unwell but very please to see he’s on the mend, I have a couple of great memories of chatting with him nice guy deaf as a post

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think our ex resident newshound got the story off here.

It crossed my mind that the NSC OP triggered the Argus rival finding out.

Funny thing is, just 2 weeks ago Jimmy Case was in a new article in the Bournemouth Echo about making owl nesting boxes, of all things. Looked really well.

But the same person as on the Winchester CV19 ward.

Glad he’s recovering. Loved him as a player, a legend at every club he served.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Great player at the Albion. Loved his enforcer role in the 2nd spell. Chants of 'Jimmy's gonna get ya' to opposition players!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A little update

I have tweeted Jimmy's daughter yesterday and she said he is now home but feels it will take some time for him to recover but he's doing well.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I went to his testimonial vs Liverpool at the Goldstone back in the day as a kid.

Remember lots of Albion fans all swamping the Liverpool spice boys (Fowler, McManaman, Redknapp) for autographs. I always thought that was embarrassing.. even then.

Seem to recall Le Tiss coming on for us and hitting the bar. Was a great night and I didn’t know much about Case, but he had an incredible response from the crowd. All the best to him and hope he gets well soon.

press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Great spot. Sent the link to my dad as he's one of his hero's and asked him if he could guess who it was. He did get it right but we were both a bit taken aback. No real reason to be, he looks like any other man of his age who's been seriously ill but when you haven't seen someone for years who was previously an athlete and a hardman, it just came as a bit of shock to see him looking like that.

As a kid, he did seem like the oldest football player in history when he got sent off for losing his hearing aid mind you!

Anyway, legend, hope his recovery continues to go well.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I remember being behind the North stand goal watching this little white speck get very big very very quickly , Jimmy had unleashed one of his bullets and it came just over the bar and straight at us , you had to have your wits about you when he was playing to the North .

So glad the great man is on the mend , one tough cookie .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great spot. Sent the link to my dad as he's one of his hero's and asked him if he could guess who it was. He did get it right but we were both a bit taken aback. No real reason to be, he looks like any other man of his age who's been seriously ill but when you haven't seen someone for years who was previously an athlete and a hardman, it just came as a bit of shock to see him looking like that.

As a kid, he did seem like the oldest football player in history when he got sent off for losing his hearing aid mind you!

Anyway, legend, hope his recovery continues to go well.

In the owl sanctuary article, I was pleased/relieved to see how healthy and happy he appeared.

He had a reputation, commonplace in the game in his era, of being a big drinker. Looks like he tamed that demon a long time ago.

He’s a hero of mine too. A brilliant player at Liverpool, the Albion and Stains, hard as nails and he could play. Won a stack of medals. I remember him winning Stains POTS awards in his 30’s. I was gutted when the Albion allowed him to leave the first time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the owl sanctuary article, I was pleased/relieved to see how healthy and happy he appeared.

He had a reputation, commonplace in the game in his era, of being a big drinker. Looks like he tamed that demon a long time ago.

He’s a hero of mine too. A brilliant player at Liverpool, the Albion and Stains, hard as nails and he could play. Won a stack of medals. I remember him winning Stains POTS awards in his 30’s. I was gutted when the Albion allowed him to leave the first time.

One of my favourite Albion moments, and I swear I am the only person that saw it, was one of his. He was breathtakingly dirty when it suited him. Towards the end of his second spell as a player. I was keeping a close eye on him because he seemed to have 'an eye' on on of the opposition who had annoyed him. At one point he played a long ball forward to set up an exciting attack, but I kept my eyes on him rather than the ball; he continued the swing of his leg after the ball left and gave this opponent one hell of a kick. It was a masterclass, and he got away with it. I was going 'did YOU SEE THAT!!??' and the people I was with went 'what? Shut up.' :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One of my favourite Albion moments, and I swear I am the only person that saw it, was one of his. He was breathtakingly dirty when it suited him. Towards the end of his second spell as a player. I was keeping a close eye on him because he seemed to have 'an eye' on on of the opposition who had annoyed him. At one point he played a long ball forward to set up an exciting attack, but I kept my eyes on him rather than the ball; he continued the swing of his leg after the ball left and gave this opponent one hell of a kick. It was a masterclass, and he got away with it. I was going 'did YOU SEE THAT!!??' and the people I was with went 'what? Shut up.' :lolol:

I was too young, naive to see stuff like that then. I followed the ball. Did you ever see Horton or The Tank administer off the ball justice? My Dad watching from the Chicken Run used to tell me about incidents post match. I’d been in the NS.

His autobio Hard Case is an unpretentious read. As a late teen he played for a dockers union team, then South Liverpool. Playing with and against thuggish 30 year olds twice his size. That shaped his ‘combative’ side, in a sink or swim environment.

(Another player like Ian Wright, Vardy and Stuart Pearce who were rejected by pro clubs, so made it via the non-league route).

His best mate Ray Kennedy and JC were eased out of Liverpool after fighting a North Wales hotelier in the middle of the night, both smashed, on a club trip. The Albion’s gain.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Great night that.
John Byrne guested for us and scored, and you’re correct in that Le Tissier came on and hit the bar from about 40 yards out. It was during the season when he was absolutely on fire for Saints.

And then there’s the Robbie Fowler story.....

Last edited:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I was too young, naive to see stuff like that then. I followed the ball. Did you ever see Horton or The Tank administer off the ball justice? My Dad watching from the Chicken Run used to tell me about incidents post match. I’d been in the NS.

His autobio Hard Case is an unpretentious read. As a late teen he played for a dockers union team, then South Liverpool. Playing with and against thuggish 30 year olds twice his size. That shaped his ‘combative’ side, in a sink or swim environment.

(Another player like Ian Wright, Vardy and Stuart Pearce who were rejected by pro clubs, so made it via the non-league route).

His best mate Ray Kennedy and JC were eased out of Liverpool after fighting a North Wales hotelier in the middle of the night, both smashed, on a club trip. The Albion’s gain.

His book is a decent read, some amazing stories of the Liverpool team of that era.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thank goodness he’s ok. Absolute legend. Portsmouth area excluded, must be the most universally loved footballer on the south coast!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here