Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Chris Barber - RIP

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
I opened this thread with a fair bit of trepidation, just relieved that he's not a relation of our Paul.

Never heard of the jazz musician. 90 isn't a bad innings though. It must have kept him going. :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, there's someone I thought had blown his last chord.

A big name in British jazz though, Lonnie Donegan started with him

He features prominently in George Melly's memoirs of the British jazz scene and comes across someone who did a lot for jazz and blues

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never a fan of Trad Jazz, but definitely an influence/mentor of a lot of people whose music was part of my young life. Decent innings too. RIP

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Never a fan of Trad Jazz, but definitely an influence/mentor of a lot of people whose music was part of my young life. Decent innings too. RIP

I think he was far more interesting and diverse than other trad jazzers - loved the Blues and brought Muddy Waters over to this country, fostered Alexis Korner in his band, who went on to form Blues incorporated which was influential in churning out future members for the Stones and Cream..... and so it goes

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think he was far more interesting and diverse than other trad jazzers - loved the Blues and brought Muddy Waters over to this country, fostered Alexis Korner in his band, who went on to form Blues incorporated which was influential in churning out future members for the Stones and Cream..... and so it goes

Exactly. That's why he meant more to me than if he'd just played trad jazz.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here