Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lamptey and Veltman

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So what will happen when Lamptey returns?

Clearly we've missed Lamptey and the unique skills he brings us and he will come straight back in to the side when fit. But that shouldn't be in place of Veltman who has been our best player over the past couple of months and with his overall ability both from a defensive and attacking point of view, needs to start every game when available I feel.

Are we going to play Lamptey as a winger, Veltman at left back, at centre back or centre midfield?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I'd imagine for the next few games it will be Veltman starts & Lamptey comes on during the second half to run at some tired defenders.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is one of the big issues with the squad the way it is. Two top class right backs and no left back. You could play a 4-4-2 with Veltman at RB and Lamptey at RW but that means Burn at Left Back. You could play Veltman on the left (or Lamptey) but you'd be playing with one inverted wing back. I think the suggesting of JV starting and Lamptey on as an impact sub is the right way to ease TL back in without dropping a player who is consistently our best at the moment.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
Is there any reason why Lamptey couldn’t play effectively as our LWB?

It give us threat down the left with him cutting inside with diagonal runs into their box. This leaves Burn just having to hold the line with Lamptey supplying the pace.

Lamptey and Trossard down the left Shirley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9766060 said:
Stick Veltman upfront?

the wee rocket started out as a striker.... obviously too small but given our wtf attitude stick him up front with tau , biss , tross and the dalai llama fizzing balls along the ground ...let him and Connelly tear the opposition a portal to the adjoining galaxy.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Lamptey will be eased back in, due to the type of player he is - ie not just starting and playing 90 mins consistently at first.

However, I'd be quite happy with Veltman to CB in Burn's place until Webster comes back, with Karbownik as the LWB perhaps?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just hoping we get to see Lamptey again this season to be honest. If and when he's fully available then we can worry about where he fits in if this happens.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9766060 said:
Stick Veltman upfront?

I have been saying play Lamptey in the Maupay role for a while now , he would run any defence ragged . Keep Veltman where he is , he is playing brilliantly , and the break would wake Maupay up a bit ...hopefully .

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
Is there any reason why Lamptey couldn’t play effectively as our LWB?

Nice!! Would love to see Lamptey as an inverted LWB! Potter would obvs trial him in this position/role in training before UNLEASHING him. Definitely opposition dependent but given his pace and workrate it's surely worth a go?

Great idea, bring it on!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think Lamptey will be eased back in, due to the type of player he is - ie not just starting and playing 90 mins consistently at first.

However, I'd be quite happy with Veltman to CB in Burn's place until Webster comes back, with Karbownik as the LWB perhaps?

Absolutely this.

I know Veltman has done very well at RWB but his natural position is CB, and Lamptey's RWB. Surely it is a no brainer.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I have been saying play Lamptey in the Maupay role for a while now , he would run any defence ragged . Keep Veltman where he is , he is playing brilliantly , and the break would wake Maupay up a bit ...hopefully .

As a kid Lamptey played as a striker. His first touch is better than Maupay's and his pace would scare the hell out of defenders. Even his shooting accuracy this season (from a very small sample) is very similar to Maupay's.

However, I fancy he might get a game or two on the right of a midfield three in a Christmas tree formation.

Maupay
Trossard Mac Allister
Gross Bissouma Lamptey
Burn Dunk White Veltman
Sanchez

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I know it's not going to happen and goes against most rational thinking, but wouldn't it be exciting to see what happens if he did start up front?!

Sometimes with players like Lamptey though, they are better off starting deeper where they can see the space and build up to top speed so it might be that RB/RWB is his permanent best position but I am intrigued to see him play further forward on the wing and see how he does.

As said above though, the right thing to do will probably be to ease him in off the bench and then when he is ready to start, it will probably be at RWB with Veltman dropping into the back three. If all are fit, our best back three is Veltman, Dunk and Webster isn't it?

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
As a kid Lamptey played as a striker. His first touch is better than Maupay's and his pace would scare the hell out of defenders. Even his shooting accuracy this season (from a very small sample) is very similar to Maupay's.

However, I fancy he might get a game or two on the right of a midfield three in a Christmas tree formation.

Maupay
Trossard Mac Allister
Gross Bissouma Lamptey
Burn Dunk White Veltman
Sanchez
I like that team but would swap Zeqiri for Maupay he`s got a quick mind and a quick turn in the area , i think he will do well for us . I still reckon Tariq would scare defenders into backing off him , he`s just too fast for them he would pull defenders out of position .

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
This is one of the big issues with the squad the way it is. Two top class right backs and no left back. You could play a 4-4-2 with Veltman at RB and Lamptey at RW but that means Burn at Left Back. You could play Veltman on the left (or Lamptey) but you'd be playing with one inverted wing back. I think the suggesting of JV starting and Lamptey on as an impact sub is the right way to ease TL back in without dropping a player who is consistently our best at the moment.

I’m fairly sure I saw veltman make several passes with his left foot so he could move across? We are woefully short of lefties throughout the squad

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I know it's not going to happen and goes against most rational thinking, but wouldn't it be exciting to see what happens if he did start up front?!

Sometimes with players like Lamptey though, they are better off starting deeper where they can see the space and build up to top speed so it might be that RB/RWB is his permanent best position but I am intrigued to see him play further forward on the wing and see how he does.

As said above though, the right thing to do will probably be to ease him in off the bench and then when he is ready to start, it will probably be at RWB with Veltman dropping into the back three. If all are fit, our best back three is Veltman, Dunk and Webster isn't it?

I was thinking that starting TL up top would mean he could put 100% of his pace and energy in their 3rd , take the defensive responsibility`s away from him just concentrate on attack . I can see him coming off the bench as you have said against Leicester on Saturday night , i don`t want to move Veltman because he does so much when he move`s forward , sticking him in the back 3 would negate some of that . I agree our best back three is JV , LD and AW .

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I’m fairly sure I saw veltman make several passes with his left foot so he could move across? We are woefully short of lefties throughout the squad

d&D.jpg

Of me getting a game as a leftie, yes get in and at 55 I wont slow our pace down much!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here