Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Ian StJohn

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Shankly and Liverpool were desperate to win the FAC. Since their formation in the early 1890's they had failed to win it. It meant far more to them than winning league titles and it was Ian St John who headed the winning goal in 1965 v Leeds. A really good mobile forward, who later found fame on ITV. To those of us of an older vintage, it was regular lunchtime viewing. The ever smiling Scot and the cheeky chappie from East London.
RIP.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He was fantastic with Greavsie, to this day the show he did when the used Greavsies Spitting Image puppet (because he was unwell) is true football comedy genius

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
RIP Ian, very entertaining guy...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As a kid in Worthing in the 1960s my First Division team was Liverpool. He was a hero and my eyes genuinely moistened when I read this just now.

I don’t know if anybody else would remember, but before the 1970 (?) World Cup the BBC held a competition to find a new commentator. It was won by somebody called Idwal Robling, but Ian StJohn came second, and they were anonymous until the results were announced. He was very good! Which was reflected in the Saint and Greavsie show.

And finally, some graffiti from a Liverpool wall in the 1960s:
“What would you do if Jesus came back to earth tomorrow?”
“Move StJohn to inside right”

Only saw him live once and that was in the mid 60s at the Dell as part of Shankly’s first great team.
Great guy who always happy to sign autographs and chat to the fans. Enjoyed his humour and presentation style with Greaves. Another gone from another era. RIP. You’ll be remembered.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Saint and Greavsie was part of my teenage years. They were a brilliant double act, such superb banter and they were really pioneers in what they did, an inspiration for shows like Fantasy Football League with Skinner and Baddiel, Soccer AM with Tim Lovejoy and Helen Chamberlain and Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling and the crew.

What is also incredible is that St John only played 21 times for Scotland, scoring 9 times. That shows the strength in depth of the Scotland team at that time.

R.I.P. The Saint.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Compared with Football Focus which takes itself far too seriously and increasingly has me reaching for the remote, Saint and Greavsie was a breath of fresh air, albeit as fresh as one you could imagine in a smoky bar with the drinks flowing shortly after the closing credits had run.

In a time before VAR, xG and Opta's paralysis by analysis, it was the perfect partnership of 2 mates who loved watching the game and each other's company.

The success of Fantasy Football League with Baddiel and Skinner on the sofa clearly owed a lot to the relaxed chatty style of S&G.

And Greavsie's comment of "Donald, you don't know what you've done there..." was clearly way ahead of its time.

As many have said, it was part and parcel of the Saturday matchday routine.

Another bit of childhood gone. Thanks for the memories, Saint.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Compared with Football Focus which takes itself far too seriously and increasingly has me reaching for the remote, Saint and Greavsie was a breath of fresh air, albeit as fresh as one you could imagine in a smoky bar with the drinks flowing shortly after the closing credits had run.

In a time before VAR, xG and Opta's paralysis by analysis, it was the perfect partnership of 2 mates who loved watching the game and each other's company.

The success of Fantasy Football League with Baddiel and Skinner on the sofa clearly owed a lot to the relaxed chatty style of S&G.

And Greavsie's comment of "Donald, you don't know what you've done there..." was clearly way ahead of its time.

As many have said, it was part and parcel of the Saturday matchday routine.

Another bit of childhood gone. Thanks for the memories, Saint.

I avoid Football Focus, but loved it as a kid (late 70's/early 80's).

Now very boring, gushing over the Guardiola miracle, predicting the obvious result for each fixture.

The old prog, along with Saint and Greavsie, had a light feel.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As a kid in Worthing in the 1960s my First Division team was Liverpool. He was a hero and my eyes genuinely moistened when I read this just now.

I don’t know if anybody else would remember, but before the 1970 (?) World Cup the BBC held a competition to find a new commentator. It was won by somebody called Idwal Robling, but Ian StJohn came second, and they were anonymous until the results were announced. He was very good! Which was reflected in the Saint and Greavsie show.

And finally, some graffiti from a Liverpool wall in the 1960s:
“What would you do if Jesus came back to earth tomorrow?”
“Move StJohn to inside right”

As another Worthing lad of that era, yes, I remember Idwal Robling but I never knew the Saint was up for it too. Apparently Idwal and St John tied in the commentator comp and Alf Ramsey had the casting vote. Strange that he didn't give it to a Scot!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
How sad. Would never miss Saint & Greavsie - the first programme of its type - and was surprised when it stopped.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yes - it’s been great just watching some of the S and G clips that people have posted here. Definitely of it’s time but it was a great programme and the chemistry between S and G was at its heart. Sadly as people know poor Jimmy has been in very poor health in recent years and now Saint has gone before him. Great footballer and great personality. RIP Saint.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP Saint

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here