Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Ian StJohn

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes RIP.

However Sky Sports are mentioning it every three minutes I've turned over. Don't think I've seen them centre on an old man dying so much before, of course mention top of the hour but crikey it makes it unwatchable.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just seen this clip appear on Twitter which you may want to avoid if you are squeamish or suffer from flashbacks.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A gifted footballer, creating a stack of goals for Roger Hunt.

In an era of thuggish defenders in domestic and European games, he could more than hold his own with the aggro.

RIP

That was the sport that got me hooked as a young kid, it's changed a little since :wink:

RIP Saint

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A good footballer who had a successive career after playing. If you are puppet on Spitting Image does it get any better.

RIP

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
RIP A great Liverpool legend, and one half of a top football programme. Another bit of my youth gone. Condolences to his friends and family.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As a kid in Worthing in the 1960s my First Division team was Liverpool. He was a hero and my eyes genuinely moistened when I read this just now.

I don’t know if anybody else would remember, but before the 1970 (?) World Cup the BBC held a competition to find a new commentator. It was won by somebody called Idwal Robling, but Ian StJohn came second, and they were anonymous until the results were announced. He was very good! Which was reflected in the Saint and Greavsie show.

And finally, some graffiti from a Liverpool wall in the 1960s:
“What would you do if Jesus came back to earth tomorrow?”
“Move StJohn to inside right”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Saint, You always presented with a smile on your face.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As a kid in Worthing in the 1960s my First Division team was Liverpool. He was a hero and my eyes genuinely moistened when I read this just now.

I don’t know if anybody else would remember, but before the 1970 (?) World Cup the BBC held a competition to find a new commentator. It was won by somebody called Idwal Robling, but Ian StJohn came second, and they were anonymous until the results were announced. He was very good! Which was reflected in the Saint and Greavsie show.

And finally, some graffiti from a Liverpool wall in the 1960s:
“What would you do if Jesus came back to earth tomorrow?”
“Move StJohn to inside right”
”Jesus Saves”
St. John puts in the rebound.

Scrawled on a Liverpool church poster.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Saint and Greavsie was a huge part of my Saturday football watching as a kid. Watched it while having some lunch before heading to the Goldstone.

RIP Saint.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
Always had a smile on his face and he loved Liverpool - not just the football club but the whole city.

I'm genuinely very saddened to hear of him passing away. What a great programme Saint & Greavsie was on a Saturday lunchtime.

RIP Ian. A gentleman and a terrific footballer and presenter. Thoughts with his family and friends at this sad time.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm too young to have known Saint as anything other than a TV presenter. Saint & Greavsie was, as it was for quite a few others it seems, a big part of my Saturdays.

I always thought Greavsie would go first as he seemed more frail. It's a funny old game, Saint.

RIP

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Great anchor for the show and great chemistry with Greavsie

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here