Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2030 World Cup

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Absolute bullshit story. £2.8m about to be wasted on post-Brexit ‘we’re a world leader at everything’ PR.

Minuscule chance of landing that World Cup in its centenary year and off to a dreadful start with all the ‘home of football’ guff. That is loathed worldwide and a guaranteed vote loser.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Absolute bullshit story. £2.8m about to be wasted on post-Brexit ‘we’re a world leader at everything’ PR.

Minuscule chance of landing that World Cup in its centenary year and off to a dreadful start with all the ‘home of football’ guff. That is loathed worldwide and a guaranteed vote loser.

I'm not sure that's true. FIFA has moved on a little since we last tried. I'd say we have a reasonable chance.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
could the Amex host some games? Already have experience of hosting a major event and will get some matches in the Womens Euros as well

Minimum capacity required to host world cup matches is 40,000. Euro Championships is 30,000.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not sure that's true. FIFA has moved on a little since we last tried. I'd say we have a reasonable chance.

FIFA may have moved on but the money mentioned doesn’t scratch the surface and English football still has a big image issue worldwide for our perceived superiority complex. We understand the ‘it’s coming home’ stuff is something of a sardonic lament, but it’s not viewed that way abroad.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
FIFA may have moved on but the money mentioned doesn’t scratch the surface and English football still has a big image issue worldwide for our perceived superiority complex. We understand the ‘it’s coming home’ stuff is something of a sardonic lament, but it’s not viewed that way abroad.

Indeed true to some extent but dont think its going to impact your chances of getting the World Cup. Occupying five of the European World Cup spots (for no good reason, surely England alone could have hosted it) is a bigger issue.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If England bid for a tournament they will be one of many countries that could host it.

I'm not sure the press will help the bid either.

I think a Euro tournament remains the best option. Although it would help if the authorities sounded less keen when talking about taking over this current prospect.

How about:

'We would be prepared to help out if needed. But we hope that's not necessary. A European Championships played across the many nations across the continent is a wonderful prospect and has been some years in planning. It will be good for football if this could still happen'

You know, a bit of fecking diplomacy.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
How about:

'We would be prepared to help out if needed. But we hope that's not necessary. A European Championships played across the many nations across the continent is a wonderful prospect and has been some years in planning. It will good for football if this could still happen'

You know, a bit of fecking diplomacy.

That does sound so wonderfully English as well [emoji106]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That does sound so wonderfully English as well [emoji106]

It's the absurd lack of tact that annoys me. The UK is far ahead in the vaccination process and it would be wise not to use that a prop.

When you stand back and look at it, especially when considering future intentions, it would be most appropriate to just shut the feck up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here