Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2030 World Cup

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm sure either 2030 or 2034 will be in England... they are going to want to add more teams (more money) to the competition and then there is just a handful of countries that got the number of stadiums to support a change like that, most of which already arranged the tournament in a recent past.

when England went for the 2018 WC (a 32 team tournament) the bid involved quite a few new/massively renovated stadiums

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can’t see us garnering too many votes from European nations for any sporting event to be held here for quite some time.

Did we ever?

Even our friends the Germans were embroiled in bribery claims.

I’ve long assumed that we’ll never see another WC on these shores.

We don’t play the game of £10m’s in gifts to shady football characters.

(This isn’t UK party political. 2006 failed under Labour, 2018 under Coalition/Tory).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. Even without the corruption within FIFA, it cannot be ignored that we came last in the first round of the 2018 bid with only 2 votes out of 22, one of which was by the English delegate. This isn't the fault of the FA, but England as a country needs to undertake a massive PR exercise to make us less disliked.

Russia and Qatar have many enemies across the world, their aggressive PR is assassinating opponents.

It’s all about money.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Did we ever?

Even our friends the Germans were embroiled in bribery claims.

I’ve long assumed that we’ll never see another WC on these shores.

We don’t play the game of £10m’s in gifts to shady football characters.

(This isn’t UK party political. 2006 failed under Labour, 2018 under Coalition/Tory).

We have plenty of shady characters we hand £10m's in gifts to. Why on earth would we want more :wink:

Failure, Doomed, To (see if you can arrange these words into a well known saying)

But it will give keep the front pages busy for another day, so all in all £2.8M well spent.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This. Even without the corruption within FIFA, it cannot be ignored that we came last in the first round of the 2018 bid with only 2 votes out of 22, one of which was by the English delegate. This isn't the fault of the FA, but England as a country needs to undertake a massive PR exercise to make us less disliked.

That was nothing to do with PR. We weren’t as corrupt as other nations and didn’t bribe our way to votes a la Russia and Quatar.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah! I missed that.

In that case, so far the bids are from:
Morocco (potential with Algeria and Tunisia)
Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile
Romania, Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia
Spain and Portugal

Also considering bidding:
Cameroon
Egypt
Colombia, Ecuador and Peru
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales (United Kingdom) and Republic of Ireland

Do you think this might be the last legacy of Boris, the Great Unificator?

Or do I mean lying fornicator? ???

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
FFS. Spending £2.8 million on something doomed to failure, and at this time of national crisis and economic shit. Twats.

As said above, typical populist bullshit from this bunch of inept shysters.

There is an economic case to be made for hosting an even like this as well. £2.8m whilst a lot of money to most of us is a tiny fraction of government spending.

If successful, hosting a World Cup can provide an incalculable economic boom to a country, covering the costs and then some.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
There is an economic case to be made for hosting an even like this as well. £2.8m whilst a lot of money to most of us is a tiny fraction of government spending.

If successful, hosting a World Cup can provide an incalculable economic boom to a country, covering the costs and then some.

Go and tell that to the South Africans and Brazillians.

And we're throwing money away as we won't get it anyway.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ah! I missed that.

In that case, so far the bids are from:
Morocco (potential with Algeria and Tunisia)
Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile
Romania, Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia
Spain and Portugal

Spain & Portugal would be pretty good for a classic LADS LADS LADS football holiday.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If only FIFA could start up a PPE supply company the government would bung them £200m no problem.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It will go to Uruguay / Argentina.

Centenary of the first World Cup final between them.

Will be 16 years since a South American-hosted World Cup.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Our bid was a shambles. Among other things, 2 of the stadiums, Bristol and Nottingham were never going to happen. Obviously I am bitter about the latter but to reject a stadium (Derby) that had previously held an England international and many U21 internationals with great success in possibly the most accessible city in the country in favour of a pipe dream 15 miles down the road wasn't a great call.

The lack of political nous shown by the bid team was astonishing.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

If I recall we wheeled out the big guns, Prince William and Beckham, got us nowhere, whoever led that campaign dropped a clanger

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Is this some masterplan by Johnson to stop the break up of the United Kingdom by getting the World Cup so that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland get the best chance in a generation of playing in the finals.

Doomed to failure

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On a positive note, we’ve got a government who can probably work very well with FIFA now. I think they’ll be able to ‘accommodate them’ if you know what I mean.

Brown envelopes and diamond encrusted watches?

I genuinely believe we’ll never get a WC tournament, whether the government be Tory, Labour or coalition. Murderous regimes across the globe, bent football associations. UK politicians, investigative sports journalists (UK, US and ROI) and ex-FA execs were mocked in Europe and beyond when they led the way in exposing FIFA corruption.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here