Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Peloton Style Bikes

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm in the market for a Peloton style bike. Just before I shell out the cost of a small family saloon has any of the great and good on NSC done the leg work around all the other options? I've done some research and concluded that there are many variants and some swear by Peloton and others hate them, mainly due to cost.

Why do I want it?

Mainly fitness, I've a long term ankle injury which is making running and being out on a bike difficult

I like the idea of racing others and challenging myself, i.e. if I do a 10, 20 etc Km course I can do it again and see a ghost of where I was last time at any giving time / point etc, so very techy interactive would be good.

Any ideas most welcome and thank you the great and good of NSC

P.S. Yes, I have tried turning it off and on again, I'd suggest folded into a sheet and wiping and cheese 'n' pickle, on white with plain crisps.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not looked that closely but seem expensive - and suffer from being ‘vendor locked’ - I.e if they go bust, get sold off as a company etc then what?

Also interestingly some talk that Amazon were looking at similar. Raised some concern at Peloton as they use Amazon Web Hosting for their own platform...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is there an option to get a standard spin bike and using a phone or tablet to connect to classes/groups? Looking at google, a standard spin bike starts at £170 (but can go up to £900), compared to the basic £1,750 for a peloton bike.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A lot of my friends use Zwift

https://www.zwift.com/

It probably covers most of the tech stuff you're after and it works with most bikes.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Went on holiday to Hawaii 18 months ago, used the Peloton in the gym every day and purchased the bike from the hotel. 18 months later still a big fan. If moneys not a deal breaker I would go for this. Just got the tread but may return (30 days, same for bike) as my feet are struggling

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Wife got the Apex rides bike which whilst still pricey is competing with pelaton

Bike is great and App is very good with UK instructors so less in your face than some of the American instructors.

Things to consider I would say are

App is currently only IOS supported and whilst they say they are working on android version it is not currently available

Older iPads that cannot run later versions of IOS are not supported on the app.

The Bluetooth from the bike only works on their app so the key data from the bike is not compatible with other spinning apps.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Not interested in them, but the wife's got well into hers, Sybian or something like that.
Always upstairs on it, sounds like she’s riding over cobbles.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Another vote for Zwift (3 years now and still loving it). Can't comment on Peloton but I used to do Spin classes and Zwift is leagues above those.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Zwift is great...group rides, races, meet ups and quite a few good events.
Also very good for targeted work outs.
If you own a bike get the best turbo trainer you can afford. It also needs an iPad or laptop to run

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Excellent, thanks for the tips everyone ��

I’m thinking of a static spinner with screen, more than likely Peloton

richzl

Jan 18, 2011
Bike and turbo trainer linked to zwift all the way.
Training session, group rides and races. Makes indoors training fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If you go for the turbo trainer /Zwift don't forget to get your Bluetooth speed and cadence sensors for your bike.
I do my training outside and it's far less messy clearing up the puddles of sweat after a 40mile ride up the Alps and through the desert

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
How are you supposed to jump red lights and pay no road tax if you’re riding at home? They could at least throw in an exhaust box kit to fill the room with fumes for a more realistic road riding experience.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
A friend of mine has just bought an Echelon. Similar to Peloton from what he says with a monthly membership, but he said Peloton had a 2-3 month waiting list? I don’t think he got much change out of £1500!

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here