Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] From the book of terrible excuses

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If the police unearth evidence of wrongdoing, that’s a very different matter.

The poster was saying that we should assume guilt of various hypothetical crimes as the trainer looks the type that’d be up to no good.

Hardly the same thing!

if you are referring to me then i said he should be sacked because of what he did NOT what he might have done BUT also said felt it was very unlikely that was the first time

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Crikey. That’s not a good look is it? What a plum.

Jul 7, 2003
Very good piece by Matt Chapman on Sky Sports Racing earlier on this. Elliott has been an idiot - the picture really doesn't look like a man distressed at the loss of a horse - but his response has only made things worse.

Although O'Leary has publicly backed him, the other major owners are likely to want to disassociate themselves with him. Now the BHA have banned him, owners with Cheltenham prospects are likely to switch their horses to a new trainer and will need a lot of persuading to go back again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Rob James video that has now come to light is of a similar ilk.

At least he had the good sense to try and not come up with piss poor excuse, although I'm not sure he has anywhere to go.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s not a photo that I’d choose to pose in, but I genuinely can’t see what all the outrage is about.

The horse is dead, it apparently died of a heart attack, so he’s not causing it any further pain from its life as a racehorse.

I totally get the outrage about perceived cruelty in the sport, but that’s different.
A very brave post!! But broadly I agree with you. I've no doubt it was extremely bad taste and a pretty dumb thing to do - but the level of online outrage ............... it seems Jihadi John got off lighter with a head in one hand and his bloody knife in the other!
That poor old carcass will by now have likely suffered fay worse indignities than merely being sat on - dragged up on to the back of a truck with an old tarpaulin chucked over it and carted off the be 'processed', and probably appreciated by the local pack of ox hounds.
Sorry for the poor old horse.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The Rob James video that has now come to light is of a similar ilk.

At least he had the good sense to try and not come up with piss poor excuse, although I'm not sure he has anywhere to go.

I've seen the video. There is really no plausible excuse except "I was having a laugh with my mates", which is no excuse at all.
It's now clear that this "unique" occurrence is twice as common as we thought it was yesterday. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a normal Irish racing portrait picture.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm edging towards becoming vegan. I've cut out most meat already but still have dairy. This kind of thing makes my blood boil.

In 200 years time I believe our generation will look as bad as the slave traders did. We have no right to treat animals in the way we do.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
He should have said. I am a dickhead, I did a stupid an regrettable thing and here is a whopping donation to Equine welfare charities. It will never happen again.

Jul 7, 2003
He should have said. I am a dickhead, I did a stupid an regrettable thing and here is a whopping donation to Equine welfare charities. It will never happen again.

That is just what Matt Chapman said on Sky Racing

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm edging towards becoming vegan. I've cut out most meat already but still have dairy. This kind of thing makes my blood boil.

In 200 years time I believe our generation will look as bad as the slave traders did. We have no right to treat animals in the way we do.

I wonder how many people expressing outrage over this, and it is outrageous to be fair, are vegan or vegetarian?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I struggle to get outraged about anything tbh. This is just rank idiocy though. WHY would you actively choose to walk up to a dead horse, and straddle it ? He works in the industry, he must have some kind of clue as to the general reaction. So what was the point, was it for a laugh ?

Weird.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wonder how many people expressing outrage over this, and it is outrageous to be fair, are vegan or vegetarian?

I'm not veggie or vegan but I do know that Horse Racing is a business that exploits on many levels and really isn't relevant in 2021.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Did he kill the horse too?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, a year suspension, with six months suspended, for what the Irish authority calls an 'unforgivable' offence. Similar to the suspension Cantona got for kicking the Palarse gobshite. Nice to know the going rate for unforgibability :shrug:

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not veggie or vegan but I do know that Horse Racing is a business that exploits on many levels and really isn't relevant in 2021.

Whilst I'm under no illusions as to the challenges our industry faces to bring in more of the younger generations, must reject the notion that it's not relevant in 2021.

Over a million people watch racing on a Saturday when it's the main channel on ITV, a large and loyal audience still exists for horseracing.

Incidents like this really don't help however and there is going to be quite the campaign needed to demonstrate the love and respect given to the horses in our the industry. In this vain, I would have liked Elliott to get a longer sit on the subs bench.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Whilst I'm under no illusions as to the challenges our industry faces to bring in more of the younger generations, must reject the notion that it's not relevant in 2021.

Over a million people watch racing on a Saturday when it's the main channel on ITV, a large and loyal audience still exists for horseracing.

Incidents like this really don't help however and there is going to be quite the campaign needed to demonstrate the love and respect given to the horses in our the industry. In this vain, I would have liked Elliott to get a longer sit on the subs bench.

Shhhh ! you are meant to say it is a " Sport " ! Industries die, a sport shouldn't, if it was a sport .

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Crap excuse and a weird thing to do but is sitting on a dead animal that died of a heart attack really worth him being “cancelled” over?

It’s obviously a deliberate photo, so that excuse he gave is, um, horse shit, but should it cost him his livelihood?

Whether horse racing with jumps should be allowed at all is another matter. It’s a rare Grand National that doesn’t end up with a dead horse or two on the course.

Agree on your last sentence. I can't imagine any owners/ trainers are in the business for the good of the horse, shirley it's all about the money and fame for themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here