Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] From the book of terrible excuses

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A picture has surfaced of trainer Gordon Elliott sitting astride a dead horse giving a peace/victory sign. It's not a good look. (Image here should you want to see it: https://twitter.com/ianbevis/status/1366348468588081155?s=20 )

However all is not as it appears, according to Elliott, who has issued a statement that includes the following:

The photo in question was taken some time ago and occurred after a horse had died of an apparent heart attack on the gallops.

At what was a sad time, which it is when any horse under my care passes away, my initial reaction was to get the body removed from where it was positioned.

I was standing over the horse waiting to help with the removal of the body, in the course of which, to my memory I received a call and, without thinking, I sat down to take it. Hearing a shout from one of my team, I gestured to wait until I was finished.

Such background information may seem trivial at this time and will not allay the concerns of many people both within and outside the world of horse racing.​

Betfair have already ended their relationship with him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I heard the statement being discussed on Sky News this morning and thought it was a pretty reasonable apology and explanation. Having now seen the picture, however, it's clear it was a very poor effort at excusing his behaviour. The picture is shocking and incredibly damning. I have no doubt he's got affection for his horses having been in the industry as long as he has been, but he's really dropped a clanger there and deserves every punishment coming his way.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Crap excuse and a weird thing to do but is sitting on a dead animal that died of a heart attack really worth him being “cancelled” over?

It’s obviously a deliberate photo, so that excuse he gave is, um, horse shit, but should it cost him his livelihood?

Whether horse racing with jumps should be allowed at all is another matter. It’s a rare Grand National that doesn’t end up with a dead horse or two on the course.

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
So Bozza sensibly posts the link of the dead horse saying if you really want to see it click here. Then some thick 'look at me' d88khead actually posts the pic.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
You know, I've heard this story and thought it was nothing. But then clicked through to look at the picture, as one does, and was shocked. Doesn't matter what it is, it is a dead creature that this guy is clearly sitting astride. I thought it would just be a horse, then you see the face and realise that a few minutes earlier this creature was alive. He was being unbelievably disrespectful. I'd put this in the same class as that lion killing dentist.
Saddened.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
You know, I've heard this story and thought it was nothing. But then clicked through to look at the picture, as one does, and was shocked. Doesn't matter what it is, it is a dead creature that this guy is clearly sitting astride. I thought it would just be a horse, then you see the face and realise that a few minutes earlier this creature was alive. He was being unbelievably disrespectful. I'd put this in the same class as that lion killing dentist.
Saddened.

EDIT
BOZZA, CAN WE REMOVE THE PICTURE PLEASE.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
So Bozza sensibly posts the link of the dead horse saying if you really want to see it click here. Then some thick 'look at me' d88khead actually posts the pic.

:mad:

It's a dead animal. You'll see worse on a roadside or in a butchers window.

But I've deleted it.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bet he's not happy with the photographer stitching him up

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Doesnt look like its a gesture to hang on a few minutes until he's finished his call.

Looks like he is posing for the pic

Whatever, doesnt look good for him, but good on Betfair dropping him

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Straight from the Wayne 'I'd never heard of Adolf Hitler' Hennessy school of excuses for regrettable photographs.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Apparently the photo was ultimately released by a woman scorned by Elliott. Irish racing not in the best of lights recently after Charles Byrne was caught drugging one up so it would run badly (and in the videos it looks like kicking out time will be on a pub on June 21st). Being mindful of being careful what I post, Lets just say that GE doesn't have a good reputation for the horses at the lower end of the quality spectrum in his yard.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you genuinely believe his story then please get in touch, I have a Nigerian prince who'd LOVE to hear from you...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The picture paints to me a very different view of events than his apology does.

When I read the apology I thought "Silly man, you should have thought twice".

When I saw the picture I thought "Nah, that's deliberate, and now you're trying to cover it up with some BS. Extremely silly man; twice over."

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
...I have no doubt he's got affection for his horses ...

The evidence would seem to suggest that he has the same level of affection for his horses as a hurdler has for the hurdles.
Clearly they are a means to an end for him and thus, he should be disqualified from owning, training or otherwise being responsible for horses in the future.

Yes, this is "cancel culture" but sometimes, just sometimes, stopping bad people from doing bad things is right.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think we should cut him some slack.

After all, who hasn't posed on top of dead horse for a jolly photo at one time or another?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here