Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What would be your solution to this conundrum ?

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Need to find a place to rent,

Cons

Unemployed
Claiming universal credit
made bankrupt
No deposit

Pros

Got many years of excellent references from previous rentals

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Cons

Unemployed
made bankrupt
No deposit

Pros

Get the ferry to France, come back on a small dinghy. Sorted!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Try and find a dwelling that perhaps doesn’t meet the usual criteria, by that I mean I’ve seen converted garages, barns, even static caravans etc, cash in hand of course , good luck mate

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
NSC - where a bloke in genuine need reaches out for help and is greeted with hilarious casual racism.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Anything though a letting agent isn't going to happen for you.

Speak to individual private landlords and explain the situation, nine out of ten will knock you back, but i'm sure you'll find someone who will listen

Also I guess shelter have an advice service about this sort of thing, (the idea being to stop people becoming homeless before it happens)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Cons

Unemployed
made bankrupt
No deposit

Pros

B&B in Eastbourne. thats how Brighton is dealing with homeless, follow their lead.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Try and find a dwelling that perhaps doesn’t meet the usual criteria, by that I mean I’ve seen converted garages, barns, even static caravans etc, cash in hand of course , good luck mate

Static caravan is the way to go, there's plenty of site around that do casual weekly lets pay upfront. Around Hastings there's three sites where you can rent for 50 weeks a year for around £120 p/w, normally no questions asked but pay upfront job done.

https://www.gumtree.com/property-to-rent/east-sussex/caravan

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Cons

Unemployed
made bankrupt
No deposit

Pros

If the deposit is the main issue it may be worth looking into a deposit replacement scheme to circumvent this.

Despite that, it seems as though you are at risk. I would recommend looking into working with a housing association to find an affordable rental situation. The council are there to help you - use them.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Cons

Unemployed
made bankrupt
No deposit

Pros

What about contacting all your previous landlords, to see if they've got anything empty, and ask them for first refusal if they haven't? They may not have anything available immediately, but they might have in a short while.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What about contacting all your previous landlords, to see if they've got anything empty, and ask them for first refusal if they haven't? They may not have anything available immediately, but they might have in a short while.

True that.

Also Landlords speak to each other, they might know someone who has something coming up

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I was in a similar, post divorce, situation in the 90s. I ended up renting rooms on a weekly basis, bought a van and lived in that for a while and eventually bought a narrowboat and lived in that for 7 years until I got myself up and running again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here