Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was our season determined in the summer transfer window

Garfield

Feb 28, 2021
Ollie Watkins Brentford to Villa £27M.

Not blaming Bloom etc for not getting him, but we weren't even in the bidding as far as I know, quite odd when you think of him and Maupay together at Brentford, and were quite successful, he surely would have been a natural fit.

To me this smacks of us not wanting to take the chance on spending on a hungry young striker, perhaps not surprising after the money wasted on Andone, Locadia and imo Jakhanabash! Did we lose our nerve, or is the money now gone?

It has resulted in Murray not being replaced, and apart from a misfiring Maupay we have no strikers to improve us, as we are seeing dominating game after game currently.

I really don't get it, unless we're broke or we have bottled the chance?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nothing like that is determined with just one transfer or just one summer. The main reasons Brighton is not in the top 10 is because about 100 years ago a bunch of clubs developed an advantage they have never lost and today this means they are big, global brands who in different ways aquire massive resources meaning they can, often without even thinking too much about it, spend massive money on quality players. Thats the main reason the club is where it is.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Not blaming Bloom etc for not getting him, but we weren't even in the bidding as far as I know, quite odd when you think of him and Maupay together at Brentford, and were quite successful, he surely would have been a natural fit.

To me this smacks of us not wanting to take the chance on spending on a hungry young striker, perhaps not surprising after the money wasted on Andone, Locadia and imo Jakhanabash! Did we lose our nerve, or is the money now gone?

It has resulted in Murray not being replaced, and apart from a misfiring Maupay we have no strikers to improve us, as we are seeing dominating game after game currently.

It’s not breaking news.. there were a number of us here pretty aghast we weren’t in for Watkins and said as much at the time. Certainly the transfer fee seemed reasonable.

The perceived wisdom is that we couldn’t compete or get anywhere close to the wages Villa were offering.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Nothing like that is determined with just one transfer or just one summer. The main reasons Brighton is not in the top 10 is because about 100 years ago a bunch of clubs developed an advantage they have never lost and today this means they are big, global brands who in different ways aquire massive resources meaning they can, often without even thinking too much about it, spend massive money on quality players. Thats the main reason the club is where it is.

Not quite. Some are. A lot of the big clubs from the formation era are nowhere near the top anymore, Blackpool, Stoke, Blackburn, Preston, Bolton (off the top of my head, sure a Stato will correct me).

And when I was a kid getting into football, Chelsea had been known as a bit of a yo-yo side until they started a new era with Hoddle as manager and then Gullit. And Man City were typically in the second division and struggled when promoted to the PL.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

When you put it like that, we've probably progressed the furthest over the last hundred years of any of the current Premier league clubs (no I haven't checked which league all of them were 100 years ago today). At least we're moving in the right direction, unlike some of the sides who had their success back in those days. At this rate we'll be champions of the universe in another 100 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Calling [MENTION=34942]Dr. No[/MENTION]

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Not quite. Some are. A lot of the big clubs from the formation era are nowhere near the top anymore, Blackpool, Stoke, Blackburn, Preston, Bolton (off the top of my head, sure a Stato will correct me).

And when I was a kid getting into football, Chelsea had been known as a bit of a yo-yo side until they started a new era with Hoddle as manager and then Gullit. And Man City were typically in the second division and struggled when promoted to the PL.

I'm still backing Darwen to make a big comeback.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Welcome to the site Garfield. You sound quite battle-weary already.
You will be pleased to hear we don’t need strikers anyway.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I even suggested going for Toney but was laughed out of the building.

The £5m price tag (with another £5m in add ons) looks a snip, and I'd be surprised if he's not in the Prem next season either with Brentford, or for someone else for a fee far in excess of their £5m initial outlay. 24 years old, tall and quick which I felt would be worth taking a punt on, but most others thought we should have gone for Nunez and he's hardly pulling up any trees in Portugal in an inferior league (and cost 5 times that of Toney).

I said in the summer he would be the perfect type of forward for us but no sniff we even considered him. Oh well, I suppose he's only got 25 this season, so maybe's he's not all that.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I even suggested going for Toney but was laughed out of the building.......I'd be surprised if he's not in the Prem next season........24 years old, tall and quick which I felt would be worth taking a punt on.......I said in the summer he would be the perfect type of forward for us but no sniff we even considered him. Oh well, I suppose he's only got 25 this season, so maybe's he's not all that.

Maybe the problem is that he’s not that tall? I’m assuming that you’re about 4ft 10” if you classify 5ft 10” as tall? [emoji23]

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Maybe the problem is that he’s not that tall? I’m assuming that you’re about 4ft 10” if you classify 5ft 10” as tall? [emoji23]

We could have done far worse than him in my view and could we not afford £5m? Didn't appear to even be on the clubs radar and I for one would have been happy to take a punt at £5m. In the end we sign a journey man injury prone striker and an injury prone midfielder. Don't think our 2 big additions this season have managed even 5 goals between them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We could have done far worse than him in my view and could we not afford £5m? Didn't appear to even be on the clubs radar and I for one would have been happy to take a punt at £5m. In the end we sign a journey man injury prone striker and an injury prone midfielder. Don't think our 2 big additions this season have managed even 5 goals between them.

Its a fee potentially rising to £33m and he is probably on a very high wage compared to all or most Brighton players.

The fee is just one reason though. Dean Smith was his manager in Brentford and it would have been very tricky to compete with them in trying to make him pick Brighton over Villa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here