Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Buying a hybrid

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’m thinking about trading in my diesel Jaguar F-Pace and for the first time going for a hybrid alternative. I’m looking at the Land Rover line-up, and they have a PHEV (plug-in) and MHEV option which appears to combine electric power with conventional fuel to achieve ‘up to’ 10% better fuel economy.

The MHEV option seems a little cheaper, but 10% better economy seems a bit underwhelming, particularly when the car in question would be a bit of a fuel guzzler by default. On the other hand, the plug-ins quote a fully electric range of ‘up to’ 25 miles. That doesn’t sound like much on the surface, but even if that was only about 20 miles in practice, it’s still going to cover about 75% of the journeys I make and therefore seems environmentally quite significant.

I would appreciate any thoughts of any hybrid (or full electric owners). Is the ‘mild hybrid’ MHEV engine as pointless as it sounds? Are quoted fully electric ranges to be believed?

Thanks!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I have a Yaris hybrid.
It's awful.
Don't get me wrong, technologically it's very clever and round town it's frugal but that doesn't make up for the shortcomings; it's got CVT and when you put your foot down there's a noticable delay until the power (what there is of it) comes in. You have to adjust your driving style to account for this.
It's also got a button that says "EV Mode"; when you press it the display says "EV Mode not available".
I prefer driving my 11 year old Transit Connect Diesel and I cannot wait to get rid of it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If going for a Hybrid and not full EV, I'd go for a RAV4 Hybrid.

Assuming your budget is relatively high (due to mentioning the LR), why wouldn't you go for a full EV?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When looking myself recently in the same class of cars as you, I got the impression that mild hybrid technology can make a huge difference to consumption and pollution if your journeys are short, with a gentle driving style.

In the end I moved from diesel to straight forward petrol. We sometimes travel on long continental trips, which wouldn’t work out with an electric car. In addition, space in the rear and boot is severely reduced by batteries.

Hopefully making the move to electric when things have improved next time around.

I know people with a Mitsubishi PHEV and a Porsche Cayenne hybrid. They bought them due to the huge tax advantages. Their fuel consumption and polluting is high, their ‘normal’ driving style, means that the batteries seldom takeover.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Check Land Rover reliability surveys before you take that leap is my suggestion

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Have had a Tesla Model 3 since August 19 (full electric). Plenty of range and never had range anxiety.
On long journeys availability of Tesla Superchargers is a key selection factor.
Don’t see the point of hybrids.
The Tesla technology is brilliant but, some have had issues with build quality which I understand is better now production is in China not California.
If you also have solar PVs you can charge for nothing at home when the sun shines. No road tax, no servicing and zero BIK (if company car).

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Jaguar I-Pace or Tesla? (full-electric)

The range is good enough to make them usable even if you don’t have a driveway or home charging point. You’re paying a premium for them, but the I-Pace keeps you within the JLR family, and you will love the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North East Seagull

Jul 6, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I had a Golf hybrid for two years and loved it. Only 30 miles max range but that was plenty for Mrs NES to do her daily commute and running around. I think we went for about 9 weeks without fuelling up at one stage, and that was using the car pretty much every day. Fast as flip but thirsty once running on petrol only. Great car though. Have a hybrid Mini Countryman now (not my choice) and I am not a fan - nice easy driving but sluggish and the range is terrible. I always go plug in rather than self-charging, I know it's fully charged whenever I leave the house, I cannot get my head round having to drive the thing in order to charge it!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Jaguar I-Pace or Tesla? (full-electric)

The range is good enough to make them usable even if you don’t have a driveway or home charging point. You’re paying a premium for them, but the I-Pace keeps you within the JLR family, and you will love the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got an ipace and it’s great. Decent range (about 240) and when you put your foot down from a standing start it’s like taking off in a plane.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve got an ipace and it’s great. Decent range (about 240) and when you put your foot down from a standing start it’s like taking off in a plane.

My neighbour has one and I used it to drive him to hospital a couple of times in the summer. What a car! :love:

I seem to recall the sum sixty grand mentioned, however.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My neighbour has one and I used it to drive him to hospital a couple of times in the summer. What a car! :love:

I seem to recall the sum sixty grand mentioned, however.

I think that 65K is the list price. The price is however significantly mitigated when you can get it as a company car and enjoy the big tax breaks for full EVs at the moment (0% BIK this year and 1% and 2% in subsequent years).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I had a Golf hybrid for two years and loved it. Only 30 miles max range but that was plenty for Mrs NES to do her daily commute and running around. I think we went for about 9 weeks without fuelling up at one stage, and that was using the car pretty much every day. Fast as flip but thirsty once running on petrol only. Great car though. Have a hybrid Mini Countryman now (not my choice) and I am not a fan - nice easy driving but sluggish and the range is terrible. I always go plug in rather than self-charging, I know it's fully charged whenever I leave the house, I cannot get my head round having to drive the thing in order to charge it!
That's a bit limiting.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I looked into hybrids for my latest car, and the limited electric miles(25), the extra weight and loss of boot space due to the batteries meant I opted for a standard diesel. I only do around 5k a year, but overall the diesel was a better option than the hybrid and better than petrol. Next car will almost certainly be a full EV, but right now they’re out of my price range

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
That's a bit limiting.

You say that, but on a personal note I don’t really do that many journeys that are longer than 30 miles return. If I do, it’s most likely going to be a longer, motorway-based journey anyway where you’re going to get a better MPG than city driving anyway.

While full EV technology remains very expensive, a hybrid with this kind of range surely has to be a good interim option. Better than just optioning for my usual Diesel anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here