Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It’s the stats that count!

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
‘ITS THE STATS THAT COUNT!’

This is what my friends and i used to shout whilst playing FIFA back in the day, launching a speculative shot at goal from the halfway line. This was because the rules we played, in the event of a tie at full time, the game was then decided by shots on target, or failing that shots at goal.

As far as I know none of my friends are staff. But it would explain a thing or two...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The generation of fans who play FIFA are part of the problem that is modern football in my opinion. No offence like. The only stat that counts is the result.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm convinced without FIFA games there'd be no xG. It's the ultimate pointless stat. It's like when Jim Bowen went "Here's what you could've won" at the end of Bullseye.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
The generation of fans who play FIFA are part of the problem that is modern football in my opinion. No offence like. The only stat that counts is the result.

Very fair and valid point tbh

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Football really is a very easy sport

Why they're trying to turn it into some sort of unfathomable scientific art

I've no idea,justify the wages I suppose

Ball hits onion bag=goal

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Yeah all decisions based on whether things are working/planning for the future/players and staff to keep should solely be based on the result.

Seems logical.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Football really is a very easy sport

Why they're trying to turn it into some sort of unfathomable scientific art

I've no idea,justify the wages I suppose

Ball hits onion bag=goal

Precisely. End of thread.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Too bad none of the Premier League clubs heard your wisdoms as they are all investing millions of pounds in data analysis tools and data analysts.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Too bad none of the Premier League clubs heard your wisdoms as they are all investing millions of pounds in data analysis tools and data analysts.

I don’t think man City need data analysts to beat Brighton do they

You cannot predict how 22 individuals are going to play

Let alone react to making a split second decision

It's football,not formula one

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Disagree. I think you're all dinosaurs.

Top teams will have top analysts and adapt accordingly.

We're doing that. Only difference is that although all the stats point to us being a top quality side if we had a goal scoring striker - we have not signed a striker.

Maybe that will change in the summer... or maybe we'll ignore the stats and not sign anyone who can score, and it'll be the same again.
I think we know what it'll be..

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Imagine a lot of PL teams are going to come calling to posters in this thread with their pearls of wisdom.

Nah they wouldnt dare, they know they will never be as competent and insightful as a bunch of blind old men saying "you just need to use your eyes!"

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

It is strange that there are people who think football is like a computer game on the xbox. However it's not just them. Remember, England managers decided to keep Waddle and Barnes on the bench. We also had someone who genuinely thought that CMS was a better centre forward than Murray. Some people understand football and some just don't.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It is strange that there are people who think football is like a computer game on the xbox. However it's not just them. Remember, England managers decided to keep Waddle and Barnes on the bench. We also had someone who genuinely thought that CMS was a better centre forward than Murray. Some people understand football and some just don't.

Very true but don’t get me wrong, that’s always been the case. However the phenomena that is an obsession with ‘stats’ as ‘proof’ is relatively new. And very very tedious. Stats bores are everywhere these days. And they don’t seem to understand the lies lies and damned lies that can be levied at ‘em! :)

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Seems a bit off to say the stats are just a playstation thing when we have a chairman who made his Starlizard fortune with this type of analysis.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Very true but don’t get me wrong, that’s always been the case. However the phenomena that is an obsession with ‘stats’ as ‘proof’ is relatively new. And very very tedious. Stats bores are everywhere these days. And they don’t seem to understand the lies lies and damned lies that can be levied at ‘em! :)

Yep and what is weird is that when proved wrong as with CMS or Maupay, they still think they are right. Statistics are essential in all fields, whether gambling, football, cricket, insurance or banking. But statistics without context are as useful as a chocolate tea pot. Putting the context is the skill.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Here ye, It’s been decided!

All sports and data science centres up and down the country and around the world to be closed. Shut down. Kapoot. No more.

What’s that? You’re a data analyst for Man City? Get out. Your entire department are out of a job. Man City and all PL clubs were clearly mugs paying all your wages.

Not just football, but all professional sports who have data analysts; NFL, basketball, baseball, hockey. You’re all OUT, sorry, off you go.. because some bloke online called “smeariestbat” who used to play FIFA with his mates has decided all stats don’t count.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here