Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Project FiveThirtyEight (SPI Prediction model)

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Surprisingly our odds haven’t changed massively after last night. I suppose to an unbiased prediction algorithm losing to a Champions League team is not unexpected.

We now have a 9% chance of relegation according to https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Half clutching at straws and trying to cheer us up.

I have been referring to this pretty much every day to keep me positive. I have watched as our predicted final points total has dropped from 46 to 40 over the last few weeks though. Other positive is seeing Norwich this season and wholeheartedly believing we would be very similar (keeping Potter, majority of players and trusting our younger players). Probably not the best mentality though!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Updated: we now have a 1% chance of relegation and predicted to finish on 43pts.

(Newcastle and Fulham 47% chance of going down).

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Hmm. I get the principle but given that the average simulated season gives Newcastle 1 more point than Fulham, how are they on the same percentage chance to get relegated? And how are we still listed as having a chance of reaching the CL - however small? I know we are only 19 points away with 27 points to play for but is there really a set a results that means we get 59 points and only 3 other teams get more? I suppose maybe there is a one in a trillion combination but even that seems unlikely.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Am I reading this wrong or is that site ranking us at number 23 in the world currently (Palace are 103).

You are not reading this wrong.

All you need to know is that the ranking is mostly based on predicted number of goals (both scored and conceded) and squad value.

So given Palace's very low xG and no value in the squad they are obviously worse off.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Hmm. I get the principle but given that the average simulated season gives Newcastle 1 more point than Fulham, how are they on the same percentage chance to get relegated? And how are we still listed as having a chance of reaching the CL - however small? I know we are only 19 points away with 27 points to play for but is there really a set a results that means we get 59 points and only 3 other teams get more? I suppose maybe there is a one in a trillion combination but even that seems unlikely.

Obviously we’re not going to, but technically we could mathematically still qualify for the Champions League I guess?

There is a section on how things are calculated, they take into account things like fixtures, player defence/offence ratings. It seems to be aligned with the bookies as well.

Like the other points tracker here, I’ve found this a reassuring solace this season after our bad results.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You are not reading this wrong.

All you need to know is that the ranking is mostly based on predicted number of goals (both scored and conceded) and squad value.

So given Palace's very low xG and no value in the squad they are obviously worse off.
Liking this. A lot.

"Bright'nAndOveAlbionFC - we're the 23rd best club - the world can currently see"...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Obviously we’re not going to, but technically we could mathematically still qualify for the Champions League I guess?.
I suppose they must have calculated it but a series of games whereby we overtake all but 3 teams when they all have the same number of games to play still seems it should be beyond possibility given they will be playing each other so can't all lose all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here