Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films from the 70s - Saturday Night Fever

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I always liked the merging of lyrics and music in songs, I like and have liked loads of bands and singers who's songs " Tell a Story " . I don't know what the Bee Gees are saying in many of their songs and in fact, I have had to look some up on lyric finders . I have not had the problem with any other band on a regular basis so the Bee gees are not for me, if Crowded House sang beautiful songs like Fall at Your Feet or Distant Sun like the Bee Gees I'd avoid them too.

I defy you to dislike this beautiful Bee Gees song. All the lyrics are perfectly comprehensible with no intruding falsetto...

https://youtu.be/jrg1UAixGaM

Mind you I like the Faith No More version even better and love the accompanying video which really evokes the lyrical quality of the song...

https://youtu.be/JKDo6g4CCeU

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Watched the first the other day, it’s still brilliant, but yes all of those are great great films.

I’m going to give a mention to Watership Down. Those were the days when kids used to leave the cinema in tears and traumatised, not pumped full of coke and demanding a cheese burger like today. All we wanted after seeing was therapy...but you had to wait until the 90s for that!
If you want real trauma, try Bambi when the mother deer is shot dead, or Ring of Bright Water when the otter is beaten to death with a spade, or Kes when the kestrel is killed - they are '60s films admittedly, but I was in junior school when I first saw them, and can't watch them again even now....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I defy you to dislike this beautiful Bee Gees song. All the lyrics are perfectly comprehensible with no intruding falsetto...

https://youtu.be/jrg1UAixGaM

Mind you I like the Faith No More version even better and love the accompanying video which really evokes the lyrical quality of the song...

https://youtu.be/JKDo6g4CCeU

Better. It's not just the Bee Gees so don't take offence, I also avoid Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and Bronski Beat for the same reason.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Better. It's not just the Bee Gees so don't take offence, I also avoid Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and Bronski Beat for the same reason.

So if Bronski Beat come on the radio you Run away, turn away, run away, turn away, run away?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I see watership down has been mentioned which is a great shout but obviously in a sad way.
Another good 70s animation is the lord of the rings animation.
If memory serves me correctly I think JRR tolkien himself worked on the animation but died before he could finish the series.
It's a good way of seeing how tolkien envisaged the scenes from the book.
I have a feeling Peter Jackson was strongly influenced by this animation when he was working on his live action versions as when I saw the fellowship of the ring for the first time I was instantly reminded of the 70s animation.
The animation probably looks dated now and unfortunately it says to be continued at the end but sadly it was a one off,but still worth a watch I reckon.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This one not had a mention?

scum.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The French Connection
Five Easy Pieces
Midnight Cowboy
The Conversation
Serpico (what a film!)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Never seen and I’m a big fan of westerns. But I’ve heard similar stories so I’ve always given it a swerve. I don’t like violence for violence sake even though aware it’s an anti war film and know how appalling the atrocities were by both sides.

It's not a traditional western as the US Army are very much the bad guys. The massacre is based on a real one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Imagine back in the late 80's and your a Russian Submarine hunting Britain's main Nuclear Detterant and you pick up a faint contact ahead of you somewhere in the depths of the Ocean somewhere.
As you fine tune your system to find out what the noise is and all you can hear is 70 voices singing along word perfect to "Grease"
Well that was us on HMS/M Revenge as on a 3 month Patrol we knew it word perfect.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s probably shit but I bloody loved it at the time. Gutted by the well worked ending

Car chases and Susan George, what’s not to like?

227EA6C0-0B1E-46BF-A2E7-2940E52645FE.jpeg

Just reminded me of this “must watch” film, if you haven’t already

D15C62AB-F368-4CE9-9771-C1B4CD09D00F.jpeg

Ignore the image below, it’s the remake and I don’t seem able to delete it

Attachments

• FBBC0D33-FD11-4947-BC33-289581667D98.jpeg
    FBBC0D33-FD11-4947-BC33-289581667D98.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here