Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films from the 70s - Saturday Night Fever

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm a massive fan of 70s movies, and hoping to get some gems to revisit.

I say this because on a late drunken WHIM, I bought Saturday Night Fever on DVD a few weeks back, and even though I'd seen it many years ago, was absolutely blown away by it. I was totally unaware that there was a proper dark 18 version, which is the one I now have that I'd never seen before. Bare grungy tits in the disco, a grubby gang-rape in the back of a car, numerous N-words that I NEVER remembered from seeing in the original. This was not the SNF I remembered, they totally trimmed it for the cinema / TV. But the soundtrack from the Bee Gees and the (frankly incredible) breakout performance from Travolta in this movie makes it an utter joy. Its so SO good.

[yt]LUID0jSh2Ic[/yt]

Rocky, Dirty Harry and (yeah) Grease are other big highlights for me. Any other 70s movies worth a rewatchable ? I defy you to watch this snap from SNF and not want to watch the whole thing. The 18 version is so shocking, and so brilliant!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh, and fun fact - Saturday Night Fever remains the only soundtrack in history that outsold the movie box office takings. Despite SNF being a bona-fide worldwide smash.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Concept and story excellent, music from the Bee Gees absolutely awful. Why would anyone actually deliberately sing like castrato's?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Blimey [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] only remarked the other day what a terrible film SNF is! ����

Good thread though, watched French Connection last night....

Grease is brilliant, as was Dirty Harry and Rocky. Can I throw in Deer Hunter as well.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Close encounters of the third kind is on a different level to pretty much anything else, decades ahead of it's time

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Jaws
Rollerball
Alien
Star Wars: A new hope
Day of the Jackal

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm a massive fan of 70s movies, and hoping to get some gems to revisit.

I say this because on a late drunken WHIM, I bought Saturday Night Fever on DVD a few weeks back, and even though I'd seen it many years ago, was absolutely blown away by it. I was totally unaware that there was a proper dark 18 version, which is the one I now have that I'd never seen before. Bare grungy tits in the disco, a grubby gang-rape in the back of a car, numerous N-words that I NEVER remembered from seeing in the original. This was not the SNF I remembered, they totally trimmed it for the cinema / TV. But the soundtrack from the Bee Gees and the (frankly incredible) breakout performance from Travolta in this movie makes it an utter joy. Its so SO good.

[yt]LUID0jSh2Ic[/yt]

Rocky, Dirty Harry and (yeah) Grease are other big highlights for me. Any other 70s movies worth a rewatchable ? I defy you to watch this snap from SNF and not want to watch the whole thing. The 18 version is so shocking, and so brilliant!

Totally agree about SNF it as an excellent and gritty film

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm going to LOVE this thread

for your consideration 3 American 'dusty roads and big sky' 70s movies.

first up 'Vanishing Point', dusty road, big sky, cops, belting soundtrack .. bonus point for naked hippy chick on motorbike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P2VCMT8vAw&ab_channel=20thCenturyStudios

next up 'Electra Glide In Blue' dusty road, big sky, cops, even better soundtrack ... bonus point for cameo from Pete 'Chicago/ Glory of Love' Cetera as a leader of a motorcycle gang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ql3l9C_qQ4&ab_channel=Shout!Factory

and finally 'Charley Varrick' dusty roads, big sky, cops, Lalo Schifrin soundtrack ... bonus point for magnificent cast ... Walter Matthau, Joe Don Baker and John Vernon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaqjQWQVAk&ab_channel=MovieclipsClassicTrailers

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The Exorcist is brilliant and the sequel is so mad it’s worth seeing. With the latter, I can simultaneously understand why Mark Kermode thinks it’s the worst film ever made and why Martin Scorsese thinks it’s better than the original.

Other Seventies greats so far (I believe) not mentioned...

Smokey and the Bandit
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Straw Dogs
A Clockwork Orange
The Poseidon Adventure
The Towering Inferno
La Cage Aux Folles
Wim Wenders’ The American Friend, Kings of the Road, The Wrong Move
Taxi Driver
Enter the Dragon
The Land/People That Time Forgot
At the Earth’s Core
Warlords of Atlantis
Harryhausen’s two 70s Sinbad films
The Black Hole

Oh, and Star Wars.

And as a kid I greatly appreciated...

The Rescuers
Freaky Friday
Candleshoe
Pete’s Dragon
Escape To/Return from Witch Mountain

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Dog Day Afternoon and The Taking Of Pelham 123 were excellent heist movies.
Apocalypse Now, Alien, The Godfather 1&2, Mean Streets, Deliverance, Chinatown, Network, Taxi Driver, The Wicker Man, The Exorcist, The Warriors..... so many gems.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Second helping....

Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Dirty Harry films
Serpico
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Jaws 2
Airport 1975/77
Swallows and Amazons
Tales of Beatrix Potter
Hindenburg
The Bad News Bears 1 and 2 (definitely not 3)
Satyajit Ray’s The Chess Players
Passe Ta Bac D’abord
Day For Night
Claire’s Knee

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Totally agree with OP, but I loved the film from its release even though I was a kid, loved the soundtrack the dancing, the acting and the story.
The film encapsulated that era of a gritty New York, the disco scene, and 70's youth.
The music was of its time and of course as usual The Bee Gees got it perfectly.
The film was laughed at by the time because of the music which was very narrow minded.
The album sold really well but for a while The Bee Gees were not taken seriously by narrow minded people like Clive Anderson (Bee Gees walked out)
But over time they made a lot of fame and a lot of money because of it.
As expected from one of the greatest songwriters this country or the world has ever produced, Barry Gibb absolute musical genius.
https://youtu.be/CzQPJy8Q6qE

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Phantom of the Paradise - an early Brian De Palma and a bit of a cult classic. It is a take on the story of Faust, with elements of the phantom of the opera. Stars Paul Williams (who wrote the music for this film, Bugsy Malone, the original muppet movies, the carpenters, helen reddy, daft punk - though they may have just sampled an old song of his, I'm not sure).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here