Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We would be top 6

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think we need to clear out some of our fringe players next season, and look to loan market for a couple of strikers to help out Maupay. I also think we should try and sign a striker or 2 from other top academies, loan them out to top league 1 championship teams so we have a contingency plan. We're not in a position to throw 30 plus million at a top striker who might not cut the mustard. Hedge our bets by spending 20 million on a combination of loans and up and coming talent

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So let me get this straight? People on this thread think its a good idea to get rid of a coach who has set up a side that has created 66 shots in his last three games but managed just one goal to replace him with a coach who will set up more defensively and who will presumably create less chances as a result? WTF are some of you on? :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Get a defensive coach with these striker options and we'll be lucky if we score a goal all season :ffsparr:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mentally our attacking players are very weak and none are good enough.

None? You’re saying there’s not one single attacking player who’s good enough for the EPL? I guess it depends who you include in this group.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Potter should quit if we go down or stay up.The idea of bringing him in was fantastic but as we can’t give him the quality he needs up front his style of play can’t work here. It’ll be the same next season. Sad to say we need to go back to Hughtonball football on our budget. He won’t be backed if we stay up so best for all parties if he goes to a club who can give him the players he needs to play Potterball, be it here or abroad.

Gutted to write that but our strikers are not good enough at this level to play expansive football

Did Chris Hughton not say at one time that we did not have the budget to play expansive football?

I am beginning to think he is right.Potter needs backing with quality forwards,not Welbeck and the other sicknote!

Last edited:

boik

Potter should quit if we go down or stay up.The idea of bringing him in was fantastic but as we can’t give him the quality he needs up front his style of play can’t work here. It’ll be the same next season. Sad to say we need to go back to Hughtonball football on our budget. He won’t be backed if we stay up so best for all parties if he goes to a club who can give him the players he needs to play Potterball, be it here or abroad.

Gutted to write that but our strikers are not good enough at this level to play expansive football

That doesn't make any sense. If we stay up then he will have done the same as Hughton but the football is so much more enjoyable. Why would anyone want to go down the Palace route if we don't go down?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
We would be top 6 with 2 decent strikers and that is a fact.

Rub is Tony has to put in £ 50 m plus to secure this and fulfill Potter's plan. Feel sorry for Potter he has the plan but does not have the quality upfront to deliver it.

We are so close to being a top 6 side. We will stay up no chance we will be relegated but he must take a punt for next season but it will cost. £ 20 m in this league does not cut the mustard I am afraid

Olly Watkins would have been cheaper and he cuts the mustard at villa . As does Bamford at Leeds . It may be something to do with the way we play !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That doesn't make any sense. If we stay up then he will have done the same as Hughton but the football is so much more enjoyable. Why would anyone want to go down the Palace route if we don't go down?

I know, I too love Potterball but 25% of NSC want him gone and are the most vocal on here. I can’t be arsed to argue about it anymore as I can’t get my head around anyone who can even begin to blame the manager for yesterday’s result. He is doing the best he can with forwards who are just not up to his style of football. Hence my suggestion he might be better off going somewhere that gives him the tools for the football he plays. We can’t and would need to revert to attrition football to avoid a toxic Amex when we can go back as fans. Make no mistake it would be worse than Hyppia’s last days if there were fans in the stadium. Does he really deserve that shit? I don’t think so. I am gonna try and stay away from these discussions for a while though :smile:

We are all incredibly pissed off and frustrated by it, but the immaturity of some of the comments on here over the last 24 hours is mind boggling imo.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I don't know about top 6 but one good, never mind, very good striker would mean we were mid table. Just someone who is aware of who is around him, and where the keeper is in relation to the goal before shooting. We just trust to luck in front of goal.

boik

He is really getting away with it during lockdown. The Amex would be toxic with these awful home performances. One win in the last 18 PL games is appalling and unacceptable. I wonder how Bloom would be reacting if faced with a regular storm of boos and chanting, instead of a whole host of frustrated keyboard warriors, unseen and unheard

Every time people slag off performances when they mean results. The majority of performances have been pretty damn good. A fair few results have not. Chatting to friends who go to matches I would say the vast majority are happy with the style of football. I'm not sure your dream of a storm of boos is close to reality.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Or we sell a couple of our v good players (where we are developing cover) and invest in a couple of strikers

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
First things first. Get Palace's streetwisery. Fluking a few wins will improve confidence and we are then placed perfectly to build from that.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It's not Potter's fault the players are missing sitters, penalties and chances they are expected to put away. So I wouldn't say that Potterball isn't working entirely. I don't think he can go to a Hughtonball system, as we don't have a Murray type player who is good in the air and can hold the ball up well.

The only change in playing style I'd like to see is higher tempo and more width and pace in the team (Karbownik could certainly help with that, maybe Tau as well and obviously Lamptey will when he's back) and give the fringe players more game time (e.g. Moder and maybe even Caciedo) to create more competition for places. And start Zeqiri, he's young and inexperienced but i see more potential there than with Connolly and I think he's more suited to the lone striker role than Maupay is.

I agree, but with your first sentence surely there's SOMETHING the coaching staff can do to improve the players' composure/ accuracy in front of goal: more practice during training, better training, a psychologist, meditation techniques, a bonus for scoring, a fine for missing a sitter....otherwise, what are the coaches for?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I know, I too love Potterball but 25% of NSC want him gone and are the most vocal on here. I can’t be arsed to argue about it anymore as I can’t get my head around anyone who can even begin to blame the manager for yesterday’s result. He is doing the best he can with forwards who are just not up to his style of football. Hence my suggestion he might be better off going somewhere that gives him the tools for the football he plays. We can’t and would need to revert to attrition football to avoid a toxic Amex when we can go back as fans. Make no mistake it would be worse than Hyppia’s last days if there were fans in the stadium. Does he really deserve that shit? I don’t think so. I am gonna try and stay away from these discussions for a while though :smile:

We are all incredibly pissed off and frustrated by it, but the immaturity of some of the comments on here over the last 24 hours is mind boggling imo.

You could say the same about any manager. As Big Sam said, if he was manager of Real Madrid he would win the double each year. The mark of a good manager is delivering results when everything isn't set up exactly as you want/need it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You could say the same about any manager. As Big Sam said, if he was manager of Real Madrid he would win the double each year. The mark of a good manager is delivering results when everything isn't set up exactly as you want/need it.

:lolol:

I was not thinking of Madrid for Potter and the idea that Big Sam would last a month there amuses me, a lot. Do you know anything about Spanish football?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Sorry Icy but I have no idea why you would say that. You and others are sounding like Leeds fans with Bielsa. GP is a football manager and employee of the club. His budget will have been outlined to him when he joined and he will be well aware of it every day. It’s too easy to say his hands are tied when there have actually been no surprises. TBF to him he has never said that but instead fans such as yourself are giving him that excuse and hanging the club out to dry. I think GP should and will stay whether we stay up or are relegated. Top 6 was never the aim so failure to reach it means nothing.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, but with your first sentence surely there's SOMETHING the coaching staff can do to improve the players' composure/ accuracy in front of goal: more practice during training, better training, a psychologist, meditation techniques, a bonus for scoring, a fine for missing a sitter....otherwise, what are the coaches for?

Radio Sussex said yesterday that the club already have a sports psychologist.

Aspinall, when asked, said that when he went through barren scoring runs, sometimes coaches took shooting practice out of training altogether. Counter intuitive, but it freed the mind.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Make no mistake it would be worse than Hyppia’s last days if there were fans in the stadium. Does he really deserve that shit? I don’t think so. I am gonna try and stay away from these discussions for a while though :smile:

Not starting new "In / Out" polls straight after each game on here would help, in my opinion.

They just polarise the dabate and lead to all of the things you identify in your post above.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here