Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A captain's fury.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So to summarise we didnt deserve to win because of our powder puff efforts on goal but we were denied a point because we were not awarded a goal that was a legitimate goal. No wonder everyone is angry, even i am. It is a seperate issue we are in our position because we cannot score goals, even from penalties. We should have drawn that match and not lost and it is because of a mistake the bungling officials are trying to justify as a correct decision we are closer to the relegation trap door today.

Yes - this is it isn't it. We have such trouble scoring goals at the moment, that when we do score one - having it then taken away is far more galling than it would otherwise be.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Meanwhile, West Brom goalscorer Kyle Bartley said "there was a bit of confusion" but Mason "dealt with it really well and came to the right conclusion

Ye course he did :facepalm:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Meanwhile, West Brom goalscorer Kyle Bartley said "there was a bit of confusion" but Mason "dealt with it really well and came to the right conclusion

Ye course he did :facepalm:
Have now just seen fat Sams press interview and he spouts even more nonsense. He says that over the last 3 seasons he has never seen a player asking to take a quick free kick and then scoring. And he concludes therefore that to disallow the goal yesterday was the right decision.

Now can anyone remember a certain captain scoring a lovely quick free kick against a team in red not that long ago? Hmmm........

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What about the manager doing the same rather than do crosswords on the sidelines

Crossed my mind too. Imagine if the tables were turned, and it was West Brom who had been denied that goal. Sam Allardyce would have been going apoplectic on the touchline, and been up in front of the FA tomorrow morning.

I'm not suggesting that Graham Potter should do the same, but he should certainly have had far more to say about it than he did.

DavePage

Have now just seen fat Sams press interview and he spouts even more nonsense. He says that over the last 3 seasons he has never seen a player asking to take a quick free kick and then scoring. And he concludes therefore that to disallow the goal yesterday was the right decision.

Now can anyone remember a certain captain scoring a lovely quick free kick against a team in red not that long ago? Hmmm........

Yes, but Sam was probably unemployed then, so busy just counting the severance pay from whoever it was that time

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It changes nothing today. I felt that is a point so blindingly obvious it wouldn't actually need clarifying.

The point is, perhaps if Potter had articulately lost his shit a few times this season in the face of (off the top of my head) the Southampton penalty outside the box, the Batshuiyi penalty when Lamptey tapped him on the shoulder, the overturned pen when Pogba clattered Connolly from behind, and now todays DEBACLE from the officials, we might just have half a chance of getting the benefit of the doubt on some of these shithouse calls and falling on the right side of them.

Who did Mason fancy upsetting more ? Allardyce (who he knows would have gone postal on the officials, with WBA on the PL life support machine), or good old shrug-a-thon Graham, who just kind of rolls his eyes and shrinks back down into his cashmere ?

It was incompetent, WEAK referring. And incompetent weak refs will always pander towards the lesser shitstorm. Which is what happened today.

I wish I lived in a world where this absolute claptrap seemed plausible, would make my life so much easier if I could believe absolute bollocks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wish I lived in a world where this absolute claptrap seemed plausible, would make my life so much easier if I could believe absolute bollocks.

Live where you like.

Could you imagine Mason changing his mind 3 times and eventually disallowing a legitimate goal for a Ferguson team ? He'd never ref at OT again. Different standards are applied - if in doubt, its far easier to give decisions against overtly passive managers like GP. Its nothing new.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Live where you like.

Could you imagine Mason changing his mind 3 times and eventually disallowing a legitimate goal for a Ferguson team ? He'd never ref at OT again. Different standards are applied - if in doubt, its far easier to give decisions against overtly passive managers like GP. Its nothing new.

If the managers made that much of a difference he wouldn’t have awarded us the goal at all. That’s why the absolute nonsense about comparing it to Sir Alex Ferguson is just that; nonsense.

It’s just people clutching at straws because they have to find some grand conspiracy or someone within the club to blame.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the managers made that much of a difference he wouldn’t have awarded us the goal at all. That’s why the absolute nonsense about comparing it to Sir Alex Ferguson is just that; nonsense.

It’s just people clutching at straws because they have to find some grand conspiracy or someone within the club to blame.

Listen to ex-ref's and yes it does make a difference. The likes of Fergie would get into them prior to the game reminding them of poor decisions and the likelihood of events in the game such as diving players on the other side and so on. While it shouldn't make a difference it does.

You may get respect for being a fair and nice club but you are not going to get any reward for it.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear Dunk being charged for what he said yet WBA were quoted for their abuse during the game towards Mason and he failed to act.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
It's all good and well venting about that decision but we failed to capitalize on loads of chances to not only get back in the game, but kill it off!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Well it's certainly true to say that if we had converted our penalties, as we should have done, then this wouldn't be nearly so much of a talking point.

Sorry I think it would still be a massive point with all football fans. Of course all sensible fans know it was not that decision that cost us the game. But had we come out 3-1 winners ( two pens & Connoly chance) we should still have been discussing huge refereeing incompetence and the continued mess that the application of VAR is.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Billy Reid is no shrinking violet on the touch line for us....

Bit like Tanno for Poyet (not that he needed much help), or Paul Trollope for Hughton

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Billy Reid is no shrinking violet on the touch line for us....

Bit like Tanno for Poyet (not that he needed much help), or Paul Trollope for Hughton

Maybe not, but he’s a number 2 and the impact and gravitas is very different

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here