Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter In or Out?

Potter In or Out

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But that isn't what everyone's saying.

Most people are saying that Fulham are on a great run and look capable of staying up if they could just score some goals.

No-one is deluded (or fools for that matter) about the gravity of the situation.
It's just that 80% of people don't believe that Potter is the problem.

I can't think of an occasion when a new manager has been brought in to improve the goal count.
Sure bring in BFS or Pulis to shore up a defence, but who do you suggest to come in to improve our goal scoring?

Someone with a bit of passion, isn't going to inspire Trossard or Connolly to start banging them in, IMO.

Clearly you disagree.
So who do you suggest?
Can you provide an example of them being successful at improving a team's goal scoring within 12 games?

You do know that you are wasting your time don’t you? No way will you get a reasonable argument, more likely some abuse,

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Up will be Potter in for a long time still to come. We are currently struggling to adapt to the loss of both March & Webster which is frustrating as teams are picking us off but given time this plan will work and we will be much higher up the table

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And you think GP spent three months planning some master tactic to beat Arsenal?

I think you, as plenty do, overemphasise the value of the coach. The PL winning side does not necessarily have the best coach. The second team does not necessarily have the second best coach. The third placed team does not necessarily have the third best coach.

Just like the relation between wages and league placement suggest, its really to 95% about the players. Those extra 5% are important but just 5% nonetheless. Put Pep in charge of WBA and they are not winning the league. Put GP in charge of Manchester City and they do not end up 15th or 16th. Brighton beat Arsenal and a couple of other teams thanks to the efforts and qualities of the players, with a bit of help/glue from the coach, not because of some masterful tactic developed over 3 months.

Agreed. Perhaps the relative weighting between player quality and management can change a little but again these are the fine margins of PL football. This though is a more mature approach to the debate than Potter In/Potter Out or Potter is God/Potter is passionless. The reality is that GP is working to Tony’s template. We should get behind him for that reason.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
But that isn't what everyone's saying.

Most people are saying that Fulham are on a great run and look capable of staying up if they could just score some goals.

No-one is deluded (or fools for that matter) about the gravity of the situation.
It's just that 80% of people don't believe that Potter is the problem.

I can't think of an occasion when a new manager has been brought in to improve the goal count.
Sure bring in BFS or Pulis to shore up a defence, but who do you suggest to come in to improve our goal scoring?

Someone with a bit of passion, isn't going to inspire Trossard or Connolly to start banging them in, IMO.

Clearly you disagree.
So who do you suggest?
Can you provide an example of them being successful at improving a team's goal scoring within 12 games?

if you shout and scream and swear at players, just before they go out, they score more often, FACT.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Agreed. Perhaps the relative weighting between player quality and management can change a little but again these are the fine margins of PL football. This though is a more mature approach to the debate than Potter In/Potter Out or Potter is God/Potter is passionless. The reality is that GP is working to Tony’s template. We should get behind him for that reason.

this.

i could be wrong, but to my mind, if you think any, or all, of pb, da, or gp is the problem, then you actually have a problem with tb. he is an albion fan, a fan of football, a succeessful gambler on football, and has undoubtably watched more football than most, if not all of us. this project is his baby, he's £300m in, so get with the program. going back to the 70's, i haven't been this enthraalled, ever, watching the albion, i scream and giggle, just watching on a laptop!........ and it can, and i believe will, get better, what's not to like :shrug:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Interesting debate. If shooting practice alone isnt working, Perhaps it's time to bring in an expert to work on the players psyche?

Steven Gerrard credits Professor Steve Peters, Consultant Sports Psychiatrist, with potentially saving his career.

Failing that we could always give Eileen Drewery a bell.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Interesting debate. If shooting practice alone isnt working, Perhaps it's time to bring in an expert to work on the players psyche?

Steven Gerrard credits Professor Steve Peters, Consultant Sports Psychiatrist, with potentially saving his career.

I appreciate it is a different sport entirely, with far more time to think, but I remember a pro golfer once saying "the most important distance in golf is the 6 inches between your ears."

I think there is alot in that, in any sport or job where the margin between success / failure is often dictated by your ability to think and act decisively under extreme pressure. Once you've lost your head then it's game over, no matter how skilled or experienced you are.

I'm not saying the players / team are struggling in this area, but missing 2 pens in one game points towards this, when in training they would probably bang in 10/10. Ultimately, working on mental strength can never do any harm, but I'm sure they are probably doing this already.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Sure there was an article a while back as the club do employ such a person

Edit - https://trainingground.guru/articles/how-brighton-make-wellbeing-a-key-part-of-performance

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
op shoppers are us .....wellbeck , llana ........bore me to tears , cut my head off ........just remember op shop , pound land , super save ....it's worked in some instances but with regard to getting the ball in the net our trolley has been run over by a bus on the pavement outside primark.....too clever we aint....:kiss:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sure there was an article a while back as the club do employ such a person

Edit - https://trainingground.guru/articles/how-brighton-make-wellbeing-a-key-part-of-performance

I should have known the club would have it boxed off. Nice to know that Dan Ashworth is looking at every avenue to untap those marginal gains.

Perhaps he could look at non-football related education for our first team, Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has spoken about how studying for a master’s degree in business has made him a better footballer. Perhaps focusing seriously on something other than football 24/7 would relieve some of the pressure on our profligate strikeforce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here