Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter In or Out?

Potter In or Out

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our striker pool is indeed dire, but we have several very good players, going by lower Premier League standards.
It’s entirely theoretical but I am of the belief that other managers would be able to keep that squad up.
Staying up is, I would imagine, a minimal expectation.
FWIW I think Potter will get us over the line.

Not looking for a row, but which managers? Playing what tactics?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We generally play good football, often go toe to toe with better funded and longer established Prem teams but struggle to put away the teams around/below us despite creating numerous chances .... mainly due to sh*t finishing which is hardly the manager's fault. In!
With that logic no manager would ever get sacked.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not looking for a row, but which managers? Playing what tactics?

If I say Eddie Howe it’s fighting talk on NSC isn’t it !
I dunno maybe you’re right. It is hard to get past the terrible strikers before criticising potter

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Potter in even if we go down. What more can he do? It’s not his fault that he doesn’t have attacking players good enough to score goals at this level.

He is the coach. Who is to blame for shit striking and penalty taking? Does he actually coach anything other than ballet dancing?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
In

But I never believed we would score today, and didn’t kick the cat when the pens were missed. Seemed a bit inevitable really.

Onwards and upwards

UTA

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In.

I agree with THPP, sick of these polls.

Where's the one that says "do you agree our forwards are pretty much all absolutely shit and shouldn't be playing for us next season?"

Put me down as a yes for that one. I don't want any of them in the stripes next season (or even the current crap home shirt)

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Nope, how can you possibly be on the fence with the way things have gone

It's very easy to be on the fence.

We can recognize that we play good football (not as good as some people make out), that Potter has brought through a number of young players and that we have had some rotten luck this year.

But then also recognize that, on the whole, results haven't been good enough (only 1 win vs the teams in the bottom half, only 1 home win per year), that Potter is either unable or too stubborn to change our approach and that we are making the same errors that we have been all season.

imo he is a top 3 manager

It's looking likely by next week he will be a bottom 3 manager.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Or problems will not be solved by changing the manager. They will be solved by improving our forward players.

Sacking Potter is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Or problems will not be solved by changing the manager. They will be solved by improving our forward players.

Sacking Potter is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Yes. The ayers are partly capable, but as they appear to lack any couching who is responsible? The stiff.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes. The ayers are partly capable, but as they appear to lack any couching who is responsible? The stiff.

Probably a coach in charge of forwards.

Perhaps this is where the change needs to be made.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I knew I’d be flabbergasted at the reactions yet again on here. I’m far less frustrated by Potter and more by those who are almost blindly devoted to his team. Has an Albion manager ever achieved so little and received such a degree of loyalty in such a short amount of time?

2 points in 12 against largely bottom half sides. In the space of 5 days we’ve lost to our bitter rivals and relegation fodder. We have only beaten ONE bottom half side all season. Of our 5 wins, only one of those have been by more than a goal - and that was in the second game of the season. And what’s even more laughable is that in the same week as these disappointments, I see utter tosh (IMO) about Potter being too good for us and that we are very close to being top 6! My days, if I was an opposition fan coming into this board, I’d laugh at us.

Of all the things that frustrate me, it’s the fact that the expectations of fans has fallen to such a degree that today’s performance is considered as “good”. Irrespective of missed penalties, today’s performance was absolutely bang average at best. Hardly anybody scored a player higher than 6 on the ratings thread - so how can that collectively be classed as “playing well”?

WBA got an early goal and then sat back, allowing us to have plenty of the ball but stifle us in the final third - every single bottom half manager with half a brain will now know that this is the surest way to beat us. Today’s football was not exciting for me. As Weststander alluded to, our perceptions of a good performance has been radically skewed. A GOOD performance against relegation fodder would have been a comprehensive two or three goal victory. Palace beat them 5-1. Leeds beat them 5-0. Fulham beat them 2-0. And what do we do? Lose 1-0. Even if one of those penalties had gone in, it wouldn’t have led to the complete, confident 90 minute performance that we should be putting in at least sometimes against bottom half teams. It’s not any better than last season. In fact last season the SAME players (minus Mooy and Duffy) produced far more exciting football under the same manager. By their own standards, Potter and the entire team are underperforming and underachieving.

I’ve got to the stage where I almost laughed when we missed the second penalty. I’ve followed the Albion for the entirety of my almost 30 years on this planet and I’m reduced to such apathy that I wasn’t even that disappointed that Welbeck missed. How is it exciting watching the Albion this year when you can predict with 95% certainty that we will not beat the teams around us, irrespective of how “well” we play?

I was OUT at the turn of the year, FENCE after Liverpool and back to OUT now. In truth I have nothing against Potter. He seems like a nice bloke and I still don’t think we’re in real danger of going down. If we did, I think Potter would be the right man to take charge of us in the Championship. But this season has been a regression in almost every department, and he has neither earned the loyalty of his prior achievements (unlike CH or even Poyet) nor shown anything this year that would suggest to me that we would progress next season to anywhere close to the ambitions the club have professed to harbour.

This is because folk recognise, and what a relief that it is given how fickle supporters are, that he is a very talented manager.

My only frustration is that as many fans grow older their rationale doesn't seem to mature. The blind devotion is to the silver bullet theology.

People just want something to pin blind hope to. And a new manager always brings that. But the inevitable reality then sets in.

Ask yourself a question. How often does changing a manager every 18 months actually change things ? And how often has it been proven that sticking with a manager after a bad period can actually reap dividends. Burnley have proven that. The best example was Manchester United all those years back.

But we see it everywhere. Eddie Jones, one of the best rugby coaches the world has ever had is having a bad 6 Nations. 'Sack him' comes the call. I'd actually offer him a new contract myself.

Just because there is an option for change it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
This is because folk recognise, and what a relief that it is given how fickle supporters are, that he is a very talented manager.

My only frustration is that as many fans grow older their rationale doesn't seem to mature. The blind devotion is to the silver bullet theology.

People just want something to pin blind hope to. And a new manager always brings that. But the inevitable reality then sets in.

Ask yourself a question. How often does changing a manager every 18 months actually change things ? And how often has it been proven that sticking with a manager after a bad period can actually reap dividends. Burnley have proven that. The best example was Manchester United all those years back.

I'm not Potter out (and he's clearly a manager with a ton of potential) but as the other poster said, the level of devotion is odd considering he hasn't achieved anything with us yet.

Lots on here mock Leeds fans for their Bielsa obsession but at least he got them promoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here