Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How difficult can it really be to hit the target with a penalty?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Think you may be forgetting that they are living, breathing, sentient human beings before they are footballers and to err is human. As frustrating as it is to see them miss the target (it definitely feels different to the pen being saved), it's clearly a mental block as opposed to a technical shortcoming. You're also forgetting the big penalties penalties that Gross and Maupay have converted, vs Liverpool and Man Utd.

Saying that, Dunk should be on that second penalty yesterday. Never felt confident that Welbeck would convert.

This. The percentage of penalties scored is 76% - so 1 in 4 are missed. You just have to look at the number of misses ones in nearly every penalty shootout in major international tournaments - ie the world’s best players - to see that there’s far more to it than simply hitting the target from 12 yards.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought both penalties were slightly unfortunate.

However, in training this week. Everyone should allocate at least 3 or 4 hours to it. Establish wh is good at it and who would feel confident in a match day situation. Can't really afford to pass up these much more.

For me the thing I think is missing is analysing what has generated points recently and the following that formula.

Points have been garnished when the 5 big centre backs have played across the back. Getting a lead and the seeing it out. If that has worked. Why not follow that model until you get the points to be safe. Then try out new formulas when errors won't be costly or dangerous.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Why is a striker with Welbeck’s experience trying to connect with the rebound!? :shrug:

Maupay looked right in line to miss the rebound behind Welbeck if he’d got out the way. Basics if a pen doesn’t hit another player when it comes back to you.

Probably because he's only taken one penalty during a game before?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here