Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How difficult can it really be to hit the target with a penalty?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Welbeck too casual and did you see his attempt at the rebound. Least Gross gives a shit Wellbeck just here for the money

Welbeck shouldn’t have attempted the rebound as nobody else had touched it. That’s why it was a free kick to WBA.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's extremely difficult as we have just proved.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'm far from being a Gross fanboy and until recently would have been delighted if GP didn't even include him in the matchday squad, BUT, am I the only one who thinks he's earned the grace from enough penalties he's scored this season to have taken the second? If the line is now "one miss and you're out", it's no wonder they feel the pressure.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm far from being a Gross fanboy and until recently would have been delighted if GP didn't even include him in the matchday squad, BUT, am I the only one who thinks he's earned the grace from enough penalties he's scored this season to have taken the second? If the line is now "one miss and you're out", it's no wonder they feel the pressure.

Agreed. He should have taken it, 100%. The fact he ran over to the touch line for a drink etc after it was given days a lot I think.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How difficult is it to move on?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Confidence is shot in the team !!!!!

When it comes to scoring goals absolutely agree. They are still playing really good football. But when the inability to score also includes penalties (and this is the first time I have said this) I fear we may be headed down, it seems pretty obvious to me that if we cannot score we are fvcked. I remember a few folks on here at the start of the season saying that unless we got a decent striker we would be relegated, you folk clearly had a better handle on the situation than I did.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agree with this. we shouldn't have deviated from our normal strategy.

Lallana plays like someone who doesn't train.

Wellbeck plays like a 5th choice signing when all the others fell through. someone who nobody else wanted.

We need hungrier players than these two

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Agreed. . . . Scenario . . .1-0 down . . . Maybe inject an element of surprise, and/or some pace.

No, bring on a few predictable fragile pensioners.

To be fair, they're not bad, but as we've repeatedly seen, make no difference when difference is needed.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Although Gross has an ok penalty record, I hate his stance when kicking the ball. He always leans back and tends to swing his leg around strangely from the inside and round. Every time he hits it hard and down the middle as well which I don't particularly mind but it's his stance at impact that does me in.

Look at his free kicks/corners, he is standing about 60° the wrong way and then a) never gets it past first man b) never scores one.

I'm up for Dunk from now on. He should be practising in training from Monday.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It worked for Hemed and Murray, don't recall many missed between them.

Ashley Barnes was also a good penalty taker.

Now we have a gallic ponce and a collection of pretty boys and bottle jobs.

Veltman or Dunk for me.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Ashley Barnes was also a good penalty taker.

Now we have a gallic ponce and a collection of pretty boys and bottle jobs.

Veltman or Dunk for me.

Yes I agree with this - Veltman or Dunk for pens. It doesn't need to be an attacking player, they just need to be cool under pressure. Perfect example - Sergio Ramos, who has an 88% success rate (as of last year..not sure what it is now.).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I wondered why neither was straight down the middle? They should all be told to aim straight down the middle ffs!!!!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Why is a striker with Welbeck’s experience trying to connect with the rebound!? :shrug:

Maupay looked right in line to miss the rebound behind Welbeck if he’d got out the way. Basics if a pen doesn’t hit another player when it comes back to you.

DH12

Jan 7, 2016
Southsea
Consider you're an extremely well paid footballer who spends their entire waking existence playing football or thinking about playing football.

Then imagine you're presented a free kick at the goal.

The goal in question is 24ft x 8ft in size.

You're kicking from 12 yards out entirely unopposed.

How hard can it really be to kick that ball so it hits that big old hole between the white bits?

Apparently, if you're Pascal Gross, Neal Maupay or Danny Welbeck this season it's really ****ing difficult.

NOTE - I am not criticising players who get an on-target penalty saved, that's unfortunate. But to not even hit the goal itself is criminal.

Think you may be forgetting that they are living, breathing, sentient human beings before they are footballers and to err is human. As frustrating as it is to see them miss the target (it definitely feels different to the pen being saved), it's clearly a mental block as opposed to a technical shortcoming. You're also forgetting the big penalties penalties that Gross and Maupay have converted, vs Liverpool and Man Utd.

Saying that, Dunk should be on that second penalty yesterday. Never felt confident that Welbeck would convert.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Why is a striker with Welbeck’s experience trying to connect with the rebound!? :shrug:

Maupay looked right in line to miss the rebound behind Welbeck if he’d got out the way. Basics if a pen doesn’t hit another player when it comes back to you.

That's one good question, the other is, having tried to kick a ball that came straight back at you, now about 8-10 yards out with the keeper on his arse at the other end, why did you fluff it and trip over the ball!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here