Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How difficult can it really be to hit the target with a penalty?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Really ? Murray had a pretty poor record for us

Didn't think he was poor, possibly improved by the time he replaced Hemed as the main taker in his second spell.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's not taking ability we need, it's mental strength.

Lewis Dunk next time please

Correct, has to be Dunky now.

I’m of the opinion that i don’t have sympathy if you miss two penalties in a game and lose. You kick a ball around all day, you can practice penalties all day, if you’re not good enough stay behind after training finishes and practice some more. you’re paid an awful lot of money. Hit the target.

If the keeper saves it, fair enough, but ffs really. You have to hit the target. You have to in at least one of the pens.

scooter1

How soon is now?
To quote Leon Knight “if you can’t hit the target from 12 yards, you shouldn’t be a professional footballer”. I’m sure he doesn’t have a 100% record, but I don’t think he missed one for us. A professional footballer should be able to put a penalty inside the posts and bar, even if it’s simply blasted with all they have. It worked for Alvin Martin

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Confidence is shot in the team !!!!!

Exactly. It has less to do with skill and more to do with confidence and handling pressure.

I would have still expected Wellbeck to score though, he was signed for his experience and for these types of situations. Very disappointing :annoyed:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Aside from an inability to hit the target from 12 yards, we're generally so wasteful in attack.

75% possession on Monday, 70% today. 25 shots on Monday and 15 today. A total of 40 shots.

All of that and just 1 goal to show from it in over 3 hours of football.

Whatever they're doing in training to improve this isn't working.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Penalty

It's arguable that Welbeck's contribution in not bringing down Ayew in the last minute on Monday night and missing the penalty today has cost us 2 points - more importantly widened the gap on Palace & narrowed the gap on WBA.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn't think he was poor, possibly improved by the time he replaced Hemed as the main taker in his second spell.

I’m fairly sure his record is about 60%

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It's arguable that Welbeck's contribution in not bringing down Ayew in the last minute on Monday night and missing the penalty today has cost us 2 points - more importantly widened the gap on Palace & narrowed the gap on WBA.

Tbh I’d be quite happy not to see Welbeck or Lallana in our shirt again. Play the kids instead.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's not taking ability we need, it's mental strength.

Lewis Dunk next time please

This is the problem, there seems to be some kind of mental sapping thing in the club, confident capable players have been turned into pathetic lemmings every other week, or most weeks. Is Potter a hypnotist on the side ? Is it all part of TB's betting business.

2 no score penalties, a disallowed goal and woodwork twice must be 1000/1 . . . . .

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Tbh I’d be quite happy not to see Welbeck or Lallana in our shirt again. Play the kids instead.
Agree with this. we shouldn't have deviated from our normal strategy.

Lallana plays like someone who doesn't train.

Wellbeck plays like a 5th choice signing when all the others fell through. someone who nobody else wanted.

We need hungrier players than these two

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lallana was much more attacking than AlexMac or Gross when he came on. Kept finding more space than anyone else was getting.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Gross penalty miss was unlucky wellbeck shocking

That’s extreme bias. Both exactly the same. In fact Gross did that stupid stuttered run. At least Welbeck hit it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Welbeck too casual and did you see his attempt at the rebound. Least Gross gives a shit Wellbeck just here for the money

Actually he shouldn’t have done anything for the rebound, that’s why they got the free kick.

If Gross gave a shit he should have stepped up for the second. Or anyone else

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
It’s absolutely ridiculous that we are so poor at penalties. They are also one of the easiest things to practice. Pick you our taker is and have them take 20/30 a day after training so when it comes to match day they know exactly what they need to do.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We struggled to score once against Newport County.

I'd be concerned if it was an open goal at the minute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here