Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Why is a dangerous precedent....the advantage to the attacking side has partly been taken away by this ponderous approach to letting the defending side (they committed the foul) sort out for what seems ages their defence ...and feel aggrieved? I’d only feel that way because of that pillock Mason.

Dunk showed innovation for the second time...that’s what I want to see....bit like the time Ernie Hunt scored for Coventry...and then it was banned..pillocks

It's at the refs discretion when they blow their whistle, and as you see in almost all cases they wait until the keeper is ready. If Sanchez had been setting up his wall and West Brom did this, we would be fuming.

It's clever play by Dunk but as evidenced by the ref blowing his whistle for a 2nd time, he didn't mean to let him take it before the keeper was ready.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's at the refs discretion when they blow their whistle, and as you see in almost all cases they wait until the keeper is ready. If Sanchez had been setting up his wall and West Brom did this, we would be fuming.

It's clever play by Dunk but as evidenced by the ref blowing his whistle for a 2nd time, he didn't mean to let him take it before the keeper was ready.

You would be fuming at the ref the rest of us grown ups know different.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Given that i applauded Dunks goal against Liverpool...no I wouldn’t be fuming ...as said before I welcome innovation....I am fuming that Mason disallowed a perfectly good goal

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Not at all, we've been "victims" of a quick free kick before and have also benefitted from them if anyone remembers the Zamora Brooker one ?

You are more annoyed at your players turning off than the referee.

The goalkeeper would have time to recover in most instances with a run up from the taker, but no-one is ready for the patent Dunk Dink..

Everyone has missed that. If there had been a run up we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Since the quick one has almost disappeared from the game (and most of Twitter have only experienced football since it turned into the ArsePool United Globetrotters) many are shouting unfair! believing the referee has to wait for the goalkeeper, ask if he is "feeling ok" or needs to check his Instagram before the whistle is blown.

I say bollocks.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not at all, we've been "victims" of a quick free kick before and have also benefitted from them if anyone remembers the Zamora Brooker one ?

The goalkeeper would have time to recover in most instances with a run up from the taker, but no-one is ready for the patent Dunk Dink..

Everyone has missed that. If there had been a run up we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Since the quick one has almost disappeared from the game (and most of Twitter have only experienced football since it turned into the ArsePool United Globetrotters) many are shouting unfair! believing the referee has to wait for the goalkeeper, ask if he is "feeling ok" or needs to check his Instagram before the whistle is blown.

I say bollocks.

The exact point Alex does not appear to appreciate.

There is only one mention in the Laws of the game about the position of the keeper, in affect his/her/their readiness but still not truly related to it. That is covered in Law 12 and Law 13 The Penalty kick.

The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker,
between the goalposts, without touching the goalposts, crossbar or goal net,
until the ball has been kicked.

In this statement of fact still doesn't relate to the readiness per se of the keeper and therefore even in this instance so long as the keeper complies with the above, the kick can be taken.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

I say bollocks.

Yes, the way Dunk takes it is certainly pretty unique in that he doesn't take a run up. But my point is, rightly or wrongly, players are conditioned that the ref will blow his whistle once the keeper is 'ready'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, the way Dunk takes it is certainly pretty unique in that he doesn't take a run up. But my point is, rightly or wrongly, players are conditioned that the ref will blow his whistle once the keeper is 'ready'.

Wrongly.

Glad we cleared that up.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

True. We're actually out of the FA Cup because of quick thinking by Leicester's corner taker and not one of us moaned that they should have given us more time to get ready. If you're not switched on to the possibility, it's your fault.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm conditioned not to walk into lamposts.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
True. We're actually out of the FA Cup because of quick thinking by Leicester's corner taker and not one of us moaned that they should have given us more time to get ready. If you're not switched on to the possibility, it's your fault.

First thing that came to mind when the reason for the goal being disallowed was explained.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
After watching " the battle of Bramall Lane " last night i got angry that after the ref had abandoned the game , five days later the FA awarded it to WBA . Why cant our goal and the draw be awarded similarly as many pundits have said it was nothing to do with VAR , or would that mean someone would have to take responsibility ? . Shirley that situation has set a precedent ? .

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Stop the press!

Garth Crooks has stepped forward with his cutting opinion on Lee Mason. Courtesy of his BBC Sports “The Crooks Of The Matter” page. In short, he’s critical of... Dunk(?) for speaking out after the game. What a spectacularly bizarre take:

How was Lee Masons mistake “rectified” Garth? Did we get our goal?

Well Mr Crooks, missing chances and penalties is not bringing the game into disrepute, making up rules because Mason ****ed up is.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
a) that's USSF directives not FIFA or the Laws of the Game. In the same way the Premier league implements some of the laws of the games differently, so do other leagues/football associations, so that directive existing in US soccer doesn't automatically apply.
b) It's from 2009. The rules have changed a bit since then.

EDIT: Here is a link to the FIFA/IFAB laws of the game 2020/21 https://resources.fifa.com/image/up...game-2020-21.pdf?cloudid=d6g1medsi8jrrd3e4imp a ctrl+f search for 'ceremonial' brings up 0 results.

On a completely different topic .....

I believe that Manchester City have now ensured they will not be overtaken by the Seagulls this season, which in the great tradition of NSC, means only one thing - Teams We Can't Catch/Can't Catch Us

There is only one man for this job.

Pretty please?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

You seem to still be under the impression that Mason was entitled to blow the whistle for a second time and therefore stop the game when he realised he had made a mistake.
As has been pointed out by me and several other posters, under the laws of football he had no right to stop the game once the ball was in play, he had to wait until there was an infringement or the ball went out of play, he couldn't stop it simply because of his error.
The fact that he was unaware of this, and that he was backed up by VAR , shows that Mason and Hooper need a refresher course in the laws of the game before they are allowed anywhere near a football pitch again.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
You seem to still be under the impression that Mason was entitled to blow the whistle for a second time and therefore stop the game when he realised he had made a mistake.
As has been pointed out by me and several other posters, under the laws of football he had no right to stop the game once the ball was in play, he had to wait until there was an infringement or the ball went out of play, he couldn't stop it simply because of his error.
The fact that he was unaware of this, and that he was backed up by VAR , shows that Mason and Hooper need a refresher course in the laws of the game before they are allowed anywhere near a football pitch again.

Where have I said this?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm inclined to give Albionalex the benefit of the doubt in that I think when he said it's at the ref's discretion, he didn't specify but I think he was referring to the first whistle only. If so, then he is correct if Mason had told Dunk to wait for the whistle before taking the kick (usually signalled by the ref holding up the whistle and pointing to with his other hand).

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I'm inclined to give Albionalex the benefit of the doubt in that I think when he said it's at the ref's discretion, he didn't specify but I think he was referring to the first whistle only. If so, then he is correct if Mason had told Dunk to wait for the whistle before taking the kick (usually signalled by the ref holding up the whistle and pointing to with his other hand).

Exactly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here