Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's home fixtures against West Ham and Man City in front of fans?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The Athletic are reporting that there is a chance that the Premier League could adjust the dates of the last three rounds of fixtures to allow all teams to have games in front of fans.

https://theathletic.com/news/premier-league-fans-fixtures-move/5IJFx09LPN9j

Here's part of the article:

What’s the latest on matches being moved?
The Athletic revealed that on Thursday conversations were being held around moving the 37th match-day so fans could attend.
Now, it is understood that the 36th round is being considered as an option to be moved. These fixtures are already scheduled to take place midweek — on May 11-12 — so would be moved instead to the following midweek.
It’s also understood that the league are in discussions with the government over the return of fans later in the year.

Why would fixtures be moved?
This would be done to avoid potentially damaging the sporting integrity of the Premier League if only the final round of matches — and only half the teams — were able to have supporters in attendance.
There are fears that key matches, such as Fulham against Newcastle in the relegation battle, could be held in front of fans at Craven Cottage — with the visitors not having the same opportunity to play in front of their own supporters.
Some clubs have also not had any games with fans and it would allow them to test the protocols before the start of next season.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Good news maybe. Ballot for 7500 tickets if this happens.

Perhaps the bars would be open as well.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good news maybe. Ballot for 7500 tickets if this happens.

Perhaps the bars would be open as well.

IF IF IF, let's wait and see huh?

Personally, as someone else said a couple of posts ago, l think l'd rather wait until the beginning of next season. I was 'lucky' enough to obtain a ticket for the last match at the Amex able to aceept fans, Sheffield United, l then started to have serious doubts as to whether it was a good idea to go, so ended up changing my mind.

Once all adults have received their vaccine, by the end of July according to the Government, l will feel a lot more optomistic about things.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
(The latest update on the article from a week ago)

Here is part of an article from The Athletic discussing a proposal to juggle the 36th and 37th fixtures of the season.

If I've read it correctly it would mean our home game with West Ham being played on the weekend of 15/16 May in front of 10,000 fans.
And our game with Man City being played midweek on 18/19 May also in front of 10,000 fans.

Nothing yet decided, but these things seem to have a habit of being drip fed before confirmation and so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

https://theathletic.com/news/premier-league-fixtures-fans-coronavirus/aEdZNtsWLmES

The Premier League is planning to shift its 36th and 37th rounds of fixtures back to ensure that all of its clubs can welcome 10,000 fans for one game before the end of the season, it can be revealed.
It is hoped that fans will be able to return to Premier League matches from May 17, after Prime Minister Boris Johnson last month outlined his road map for easing COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.
As it stands there is just one round of Premier League fixtures scheduled after that date, with the top-flight keen to avoid a situation where fans only return to some stadiums before the end of the 2020-21 season.

What does the plan involve?
The Athletic understands that the Premier League is planning to push the 36th round of fixtures — scheduled for midweek kick-offs on May 11 and 12 — back to the weekend originally reserved for the 37th round of fixtures, on May 15 and 16.
The 37th round of fixtures would then be pushed back to the following midweek, on May 18 and 19. This would mean fans could attend.
The 38th and final round of fixtures would still be played on Sunday May 23.

What about the FA Cup final?
The FA Cup final is scheduled to take place on May 15, which is when the Premier League hopes to complete its 36th round of fixtures.
Fixtures involving FA Cup finalists will therefore be played earlier in the midweek originally scheduled for the 36th round.
Seven Premier League teams have made it to the last eight of the FA Cup: Chelsea, Everton, Leicester, Manchester City, Manchester United, Sheffield United and Southampton. They are joined by Bournemouth of the Championship.

What happens next?
The Athletic understands that these proposals have been casually discussed by Premier League clubs but that no hard decision has yet been taken.
Premier League clubs will need to agree on changing the calendar at a meeting, although one has yet to be scheduled due to the continued uncertainty around the government’s COVID-19 planning.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
(The latest update on the article from a week ago)

Here is part of an article from The Athletic discussing a proposal to juggle the 36th and 37th fixtures of the season.

If I've read it correctly it would mean our home game with West Ham being played on the weekend of 15/16 May in front of 10,000 fans.
And our game with Man City being played midweek on 18/19 May also in front of 10,000 fans.

Nothing yet decided, but these things seem to have a habit of being drip fed before confirmation and so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

https://theathletic.com/news/premier-league-fixtures-fans-coronavirus/aEdZNtsWLmES

The Premier League is planning to shift its 36th and 37th rounds of fixtures back to ensure that all of its clubs can welcome 10,000 fans for one game before the end of the season, it can be revealed.
It is hoped that fans will be able to return to Premier League matches from May 17, after Prime Minister Boris Johnson last month outlined his road map for easing COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.
As it stands there is just one round of Premier League fixtures scheduled after that date, with the top-flight keen to avoid a situation where fans only return to some stadiums before the end of the 2020-21 season.

What does the plan involve?
The Athletic understands that the Premier League is planning to push the 36th round of fixtures — scheduled for midweek kick-offs on May 11 and 12 — back to the weekend originally reserved for the 37th round of fixtures, on May 15 and 16.
The 37th round of fixtures would then be pushed back to the following midweek, on May 18 and 19. This would mean fans could attend.
The 38th and final round of fixtures would still be played on Sunday May 23.

What about the FA Cup final?
The FA Cup final is scheduled to take place on May 15, which is when the Premier League hopes to complete its 36th round of fixtures.
Fixtures involving FA Cup finalists will therefore be played earlier in the midweek originally scheduled for the 36th round.
Seven Premier League teams have made it to the last eight of the FA Cup: Chelsea, Everton, Leicester, Manchester City, Manchester United, Sheffield United and Southampton. They are joined by Bournemouth of the Championship.

What happens next?
The Athletic understands that these proposals have been casually discussed by Premier League clubs but that no hard decision has yet been taken.
Premier League clubs will need to agree on changing the calendar at a meeting, although one has yet to be scheduled due to the continued uncertainty around the government’s COVID-19 planning.

I believe the 36th round of games (ie West Ham for us) would still be behind closed doors, so it would just be our home game against Man City with fans (plus the final fixture at Arsenal).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
A empty Emirates creates more atmosphere than 10k home fans in it so that's no bother .

Can't really see the point in it tbh , start afresh next season when the science suggests the jabs are still working plus by then most of the population will have been vaccinated as well .

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I believe the 36th round of games (ie West Ham for us) would still be behind closed doors, so it would just be our home game against Man City with fans (plus the final fixture at Arsenal).

Well spotted AZ!

That would make sense bearing in mind that Stage 3 of Lockdown easing isn't due to happen until Monday 17th May.

So for Brighton, probably Man City at home on Weds 19th after they've just won the FA Cup on the previous Saturday, and wanting to rest some of their key players before the Champions League final on the 29th May.

We might be able to nick a draw.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Yes,
Roadmap Stage 3 starts Monday 17th May.

'Performances and large events will be subject to limits though. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend'

So the games on 15th/16th would be behind closed doors.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That Palace cup game we had 13k didnt we. Was no hangers on and the atmosphere was terrific.

Would jump at the chance to get back there , making a day of it.

No concern with safety now the top groups vaccinated and being a healthy person myself.

Great news if it happens.

Not sure how the pubs would work before hand though

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The last two rounds include one home and one away for every team so there's no advantage for anyone. Picking up on Fulham, they may have 5,000* fans at home to Newcastle but then Newcastle will have 10,000 at home to Sheff Utd mid-week.
Worth noting it's 10,000 or a quarter of the venue, whichever is the lower.
*Fulhams capacity during the building works is 20,000 so only 5,000 allowed in.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Yes,
Roadmap Stage 3 starts Monday 17th May.

'Performances and large events will be subject to limits though. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend'

So the games on 15th/16th would be behind closed doors.

Bob, where did your quote come from. gov.uk doesn't say the 40,000 capacity only In the largest outdoor seated venues, where crowds can be spread out, up to 10,000 people will be able to attend (or a quarter-full, whichever is lower).

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd be happy to go, I'll have had both my jabs by then and as I was one of many who missed out on our games earlier this season, I'll be champing at the bit to go.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To me this is a bit like going to the pub on opening day. I can't wait for a proper pint but happy to hold back until the risk goes down a bit further

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
To me this is a bit like going to the pub on opening day. I can't wait for a proper pint but happy to hold back until the risk goes down a bit further

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Yep, same. Quite happy til wait until August when (hopefully) the place is full again. Euro's fixtures are a handy guinea pig for the Prem really!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here