Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Doubt over Fury vs AJ

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Tyson Fury speaking on ESPN stating they are nowhere nearer signing for the big fight than they were 12 months ago, and that he will fight twice in 2021, whether it’s against Joshua or not.

Sounds like it might be more about the relevant promoters ego’s than the fighters wishes at the moment?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Almost certain it will happen. Just mind games although think Fury might be wanting a tune up fight as AJ has had some activity and he’s not thrown a punch in anger for over a year.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That rules out just about great fight anyone ever saw then :rolleyes:

Not saying its always been like this but certainly often seems to be the case nowadays... hence why fights from the 60s, 70, 80s, 90s are known by people with no real interest in the sport while if you ask a random person about the biggest boxing match in the last ten years, they're quite likely going to look like a question mark.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not saying its always been like this but certainly often seems to be the case nowadays... hence why fights from the 60s, 70, 80s, 90s are known by people with no real interest in the sport while if you ask a random person about the biggest boxing match in the last ten years, they're quite likely going to look like a question mark.

I guess there's something in what you say. Just too much STUFF all jostling for people's attention now. Plus the stuff that would in previous eras have captured the general attention is now locked away behind SKY subscription. So things like heavyweight fights, Champions League and Test Matches (that's a cricket thing [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]) tend to disappear from view from non-subscribers. Funnily enough, once that happens, it's ever so easy to no longer give a shit and just watch the highlights for free some hours later

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I’ve actually always doubted the fight will happen. Don’t know why but Fury seems to talk the talk but always seems to have an excuse not to fight.

Probably be announced tomorrow now!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I guess there's something in what you say. Just too much STUFF all jostling for people's attention now. Plus the stuff that would in previous eras have captured the general attention is now locked away behind SKY subscription. So things like heavyweight fights, Champions League and Test Matches (that's a cricket thing [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]) tend to disappear from view from non-subscribers. Funnily enough, once that happens, it's ever so easy to no longer give a shit and just watch the highlights for free some hours later

This. The amount of sport to choose from and the higher prices to obtain it mean you lose a lot of the more casual audience. I like boxing, but it's not a must watch for me, a fight like AJ vs Fury on terrestrial TV I'd be tuned into it no doubt. I pretty much refuse to pay for anything on box office unless it's something i'm really wanting to see or if I can club together with a group of mates and we all pitched in a bit and watched it and made a night of it.

The other point [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] raises about big names only wanting to fight if they are 99% guaranteed to win is wrong though, sportsmen and women across any sport want to compete. What stops it from happening is all the money men, promoters, TV companies etc who want to get their cuts. In boxing the governing bodies confuse things even more if they want their champion to fight someone that the promoter doesn't want the champ to fight as another match up can make more money. The fighters are just pawns most of the time unfortunately.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I’ve actually always doubted the fight will happen. Don’t know why but Fury seems to talk the talk but always seems to have an excuse not to fight.

Probably be announced tomorrow now!

The guy has literally been the bravest and most successful British heavyweight fighter taking on both the completely dominant champion Klitchko in Germany where almost impossible to get a decision to that point and the heaviest ever puncher in Wilder in their own backyards AND bringing home the belts.

Fury fears no man. This fight will definitely happen. There is just far too much money to be made by both men win or lose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here