Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football the Allardyce way

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very good analysis of Alladyce. I’m just wondering if he’ll be as comfortable with 25% possession tomorrow as Hodgson claimed to be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I remember when Big Sam put his survival blueprint up in sky sports

ab5fa5f5a712f121dd5cac906362a7c8.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Doubt any opponent find it surprising tbh, but its difficult to play against regardless.

How about if we play like WBA are likely to play?

I wonder if Potter is capable of setting up a side to play just the one game like a Chris Hughton side and go out to settle for 0-0 and hope for a breakway goal? That would surely completely flummox Big Sam’s tactics on the day? It would be nerve racking for us so business as usual but with a different game plan to watch unfold :lolol:

Obviously if we went 1-0 down it would all turn to shit

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

I wonder if Potter is capable of setting up a side to play just the one game like a Chris Hughton side and go out to settle for 0-0 and hope for a breakway goal? That would surely completely flummox Big Sam’s tactics on the day? It would be nerve racking for us so business as usual but with a different game plan to watch unfold [emoji38]ol:

If WBA come and sit back, like they will, and we do the same, it will be mind games on who attacks first and the most boring game ever! Wasn't there a world cup game where the last 15 minutes they passed it around the centre circle together? Possibly the spurs v Southampton game years ago as well...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Doubt any opponent find it surprising tbh, but its difficult to play against regardless.

Yeah. There’s no easy way against bus Parkers. I wonder if it’s worth us sitting back a bit more - play them at their own game. It would make for a terrible spectacle but The other night I felt we looked as likely to concede on the break as score, even when we had oodles of possession. Our defence is relatively slow so we are more vulnerable than most to the counter, when we’ve committed men forward.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I wonder if Potter is capable of setting up a side to play just the one game like a Chris Hughton side and go out to settle for 0-0 and hope for a breakway goal? That would surely completely flummox Big Sam’s tactics on the day? It would be nerve racking for us so business as usual but with a different game plan to watch unfold :lolol:

No idea if he could but I'm sure he won't. Not sure trying to beat them at their own game is the way to go anyway. Despite their antics, the best way of beating them is to try to outplay them. Surely some adaptions will be done like ahead of any game - I could see BDB stay more at home to deal with their long balls - but going for 0-0 praying for a goal on a counter... not happening.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

The issue for us is we don’t really have the pace for breaking quickly on the counter attack so think we will go with the standard approach to this one and hope we can be a bit more clinical

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah. There’s no easy way against bus Parkers. I wonder if it’s worth us sitting back a bit more - play them at their own game. It would make for a terrible spectacle but The other night I felt we looked as likely to concede on the break as score, even when we had oodles of possession. Our defence is relatively slow so we are more vulnerable than most to the counter, when we’ve committed men forward.

Its a good idea to adapt a little bit, its a bad idea to try to play them at their own game since they are pracitising it every day. Wing backs hoofing it for their penalty area 50 times wont necessarily result in anything, allowing them to hoof it 50 times into Brightons penalty area could very well end in tears. Like I said in my reply to Icy, one thing that might be done is not committing BDB/White the same way as usual. But we'll see. Surely Allardyce will adapt to Brighton as well so its all a bit of blind chess in the first half of the game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Can’t stand the man, really hope we can put him in his place today.

From his pre game press conferences, I got the impression the **** is quite confident about getting a result today. It’s not a must win game but I would LOVE to beat that ****.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Its a good idea to adapt a little bit, its a bad idea to try to play them at their own game since they are pracitising it every day. Wing backs hoofing it for their penalty area 50 times wont necessarily result in anything, allowing them to hoof it 50 times into Brightons penalty area could very well end in tears. Like I said in my reply to Icy, one thing that might be done is not committing BDB/White the same way as usual. But we'll see. Surely Allardyce will adapt to Brighton as well so its all a bit of blind chess in the first half of the game.

I should think Allardyce (having watched Monday ) will say to his players :“don’t worry about them having the ball, let them come forward - they won’t score. Eventually they’ll get frustrated and push one too many forward and we can catch them on the break”.
That wouldn’t work every time but it’s not a bad way to play against Brighton, if you don’t fancy taking us on.
Cant help feeling the game once again comes down to our ability, or not , to finish presentable chances.
That said - if we play well and they play well, we win,

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
His style doesn’t bother me. I’m actually a fan of long ball. Underrated.

However it does baffle me how the FA shortlisted him, never mind gave him the England job considering the direction of travel for the national set up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Correct answer. Both teams camp in their own halves and the ball is left on the halfway line. O-0 until the final 5 minutes when everyone races to the middle with winner takes all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here