Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No more season ticket cards

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Presumably this can tie in with a vaccine type passport, tickets and vaccine proof all in an app?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You can pick up a smart phone that will be able to do this for less than £100. I would say the % of people who would attend a football match who do not already have access to this technology is pretty small.
About 1 in 6, I believe. Might be less in the affluent south, especially if your stadium is full of people to whom the odd £100 here and there ks just a throwaway sum.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I'm not joking,I am serious.
All these electronic passports,tickets,cashless payments will turn us into a society where unless you have a mobile then you will not be able to function in society.
In the short term it creates a two tier society with some people unable to access venues,events,pubs,vote etc.this in itself is bad enough.
In the medium term the seeds that have been sown will turn into a personal electronic ID card on your device(by this time everyone will have been forced to own a phone or not participate in society)things will start to move in the direction of having a microchip in our hands to make it "easier" than carrying a phone.we will then effectively have been chipped the same as a dog at the vets.
Long term it will end in humans having micro chips in their brain and being controlled directly by the state ,who by then will not be a government that we vote for,it will be a global government run by technocrats.
Previous generations chose to fight against tyranny for our freedoms,but we are the generation that are just rolling over and accepting the growing dominance of big tech and we run the risk of being the generation that failed future generations of humans and just gave away humanities freedom.
So I say again,keep the season ticket cards please.

Seems like you've already got yours in the shoulder.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
You'd better get used to it. There is already discrimination against people who don't have a passport and don't drive. One more form of discrimination creeping in under the radar. Pity if a club that is purportedly totally against discrimination does it.
Still, I suppose some forms of discrimination are more acceptable than others, eh?

Is there not a massive difference between paying the government to obtain a passport or a driving licence and being forced to buy a phone before being able obtain a service from a third party?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
About 1 in 6, I believe. Might be less in the affluent south, especially if your stadium is full of people to whom the odd £100 here and there ks just a throwaway sum.

Again, there will be an opt out and you wouldn't be forced to take a smartphone to a game. As I have already said.

If times are hard and you can't afford less than that to buy a smart phone, perhaps you shouldn't either be chucking £30+ away on attending a football match or have a season ticket.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Again, there will be an opt out and you wouldn't be forced to take a smartphone to a game. As I have already said.

If times are hard and you can't afford less than that to buy a smart phone, perhaps you shouldn't either be chucking £30+ away on attending a football match or have a season ticket.

That's an absurd argument. If a pensioner can afford £200 for a season ticket but hasn't enough left to buy a smartphone he doesn't want, you're saying he shouldn't have the ticket either?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
That's an absurd argument. If a pensioner can afford £200 for a season ticket but hasn't enough left to buy a smartphone he doesn't want, you're saying he shouldn't have the ticket either?

Again, not having or not wanting a smartphone will not be a barrier to attending a game.

There is no £200 season ticket at the Amex so the issue is not of affordability, but of choice.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is there not a massive difference between paying the government to obtain a passport or a driving licence and being forced to buy a phone before being able obtain a service from a third party?

Isn't that down to the third party?

Anyway, based on past practices, highly unlikely that BHA will not have viable alternatives for those that don't have or refuse to have out of principle, a cheap smart phone. If it takes them longer to get through a single turnstile then that's the way the cookie crumbles.

The same crew were probably moaning about the Amex becoming cashless.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Should the club pursue this, and I can see how it makes sense as a continuation of the gradual shift that's been taking place, there is no way on earth they will essentially "lock out" fans who are unable to use Apple Wallet / Google Pay for electronic ticket storage.

I expect there will also be a group of people who have not used this technology before who may feel a bit anxious about doing so. Almost without exception on first using it, whether that's with the Albion or at another entertainment venue, they'll think "oh, that was easy, wasn't it..."

This of course completely ignores the compulsory brain chip implant Barber will be implementing when the season ticket renewals are sent out. Sure it'll let us pass seamlessly through the turnstiles when we are allowed back to the Amex, with a brief radioactive brain scan. But we will also be signing up to having our every move tracked by BHA. No visit to the club shop for 35 days ? Expect a sharply worded 4,000 word email to be transmitted directly into your brain, with a tinnitus-like whine that will only be deactivated once you have been in and bought a BHA-branded hoody or snood.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No there isn't - but it's all to do with the government's 'no identity card' policy - do it by stealth instead. Business being fooled into doing the government's dirty work for them. Let's call it about stopping money laundering eh? Proles without a passport or a smart phone can do one?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This makes passing on your ST for games you cannot make far easier but of course none of us do this as it is not allowed......

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I was thinking that it might actually make it harder.

Depends on what tech they use when I have used smartphone tickets for football stadiums before this has just been qcodes like we see on the printed tickets rather than the contactless technology you use for credit and debit cards.

If the former then as long as someone has a screen grab of your ticket they can use it

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Calm down, grand dad. I'm sure the club will offer a workaround.

I know someone (in his early 50s, so, much younger than me) who refuses to have a bank account. So, the college pay him in a brown envelope that he collects every Friday :shrug:

(He also refuses to wear a mask, and supports Millwall, but hey ho, different stroke and all that. The ****.).

Sorry, back on topic (or is it Snickers?). Ahem. Barber OUT!!!!

Why?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in a supermarket queue behind a lady with a smartphone. A wonderful device. She didn't need cash or a credit card because it was on her phone. Except that it wouldn't switch on.

So she couldn't buy her shopping, she couldn't get a taxi home, and she couldn't ring her husband to come and fetch her. What a wonderful device. I shouldn't be surprised if in the near future your front door key is on it too, so that when you have walked home, you can't get in.

What kind of prat doesn’t have a contingency?

Quite, what [MENTION=29976]dsr-burnley[/MENTION] is detailing here is the digital version of forgetting your wallet, card not working, locked myself out etc. These are all current issues merely in a different form. I doubt this is a true story either.....are we really expected to believe someone in Burnley owns a smartphone?

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Depends on what tech they use when I have used smartphone tickets for football stadiums before this has just been qcodes like we see on the printed tickets rather than the contactless technology you use for credit and debit cards.

If the former then as long as someone has a screen grab of your ticket they can use it

Me too. However this makes season tickets very easy to transfer/sell to people that you don’t necessarily know that well - ie you can just email them the barcode or QR code. If it was a season ticket app, I imagine that the tech would prevent it being used on more than one phone at a time, a bit like banking apps prevent you accessing the same account on more than one phone.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
OK, you're serious. I'm sure there will be some of opt out system as of course the club are shifting from giving you the mode of entry to expecting you to have it.

Having said that, the stadium will be cashless when we return, are you against that? You could say that is already a two tier system against people who do not have debit card at least.

You can pick up a smart phone that will be able to do this for less than £100. I would say the % of people who would attend a football match who do not already have access to this technology is pretty small.

What about those of us that are always breaking them?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here