Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1985/86 Red Brighton shirt

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
From memory, this is a third-choice shirt.

We started the season with the blue shirt (obvs) and, I believe, the previous season's white shirt (different design) for the second kit. Then November/December time, we played someone where neither kit would do, so we created a red version. And we did well in it - well enough that, for the second half of the season, it become our second choice kit, as it was considered 'lucky'.

All from memory, of course, but I do recall this being the case. Ish.

EDIT - according to Tim Carder's book, we wore the red shirt for the first time in the FA Cup Third Round v Newcastle United. He also states the shirts were considered 'lucky'.

See post #29 on this thread (with the comment from the Albion prog v Middlesbrough). If Tim did state that in his book, it is a rare mistake from him.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Bidding closes tomorrow (Monday).

Good luck.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
From memory, this is a third-choice shirt.

We started the season with the blue shirt (obvs) and, I believe, the previous season's white shirt (different design) for the second kit. Then November/December time, we played someone where neither kit would do, so we created a red version. And we did well in it - well enough that, for the second half of the season, it become our second choice kit, as it was considered 'lucky'.

All from memory, of course, but I do recall this being the case. Ish.

EDIT - according to Tim Carder's book, we wore the red shirt for the first time in the FA Cup Third Round v Newcastle United. He also states the shirts were considered 'lucky'.

I saw us at Craven Cottage in that strip!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Up to £1k now. That is a beautiful shirt, as an adidas fanboy, I'd love that shirt if I had the moolah. Not sure I'd want to wear it out and about though at that price!

Well, I'm the current high bidder but I expect to get outbid soon...

IF I win the auction, it will not be worn, it will be framed with some other special shirts in my collection.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wowsers. All for a good cause too. :clap2:

I bid in 3 digits which made my nuts ache. But If I had the money, what a thing to have on the wall. Can't be many better.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The Albion Roar, in association with Phil Shelley of OldFootballShirts.com, is pleased to announce that, following the auction of our red 1985/86 Brighton & Hove Albion match-worn shirt, which sold for an amazing £1,470, we have made the following donations...

£420 - Cancer Research UK
£420 - St Barnabas House, Worthing
£420 - Brighton Food Bank

Thank you to everyone who bid for this extremely rare item, and congratulations to the winning bidder.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Well done. Would be interesting to know if purchased by an albion supporter or a shirt collector

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Albion Roar, in association with Phil Shelley of OldFootballShirts.com, is pleased to announce that, following the auction of our red 1985/86 Brighton & Hove Albion match-worn shirt, which sold for an amazing £1,470, we have made the following donations...

Thank you to everyone who bid for this extremely rare item, and congratulations to the winning bidder.

For clarity, the amounts donated are after the deductions of eBay commission, PayPal fees and the special delivery cost.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Superb work fellas, boys dun good :clap2:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Brilliant, and great causes. Barnabas looked after my dad his last few days. we donated my Nans savings to them when she died as well.

ebay and paypal can do one though!

download.jpg

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
For clarity, the amounts donated are after the deductions of eBay commission, PayPal fees and the special delivery cost.

Pity you didn't or couldn't have used a sell for £1 final value fee offer to list. I'm getting them most weeks at the moment.

If I had won I would have paid cash and collected.

I thought delivery was £4.95 extra?

Still a decent amount to go to good causes.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Pity you didn't or couldn't have used a sell for £1 final value fee offer to list. I'm getting them most weeks at the moment.

If I had won I would have paid cash and collected.

I thought delivery was £4.95 extra?

Still a decent amount to go to good causes.

You still have to pay the 10% commission, they just don't charge you to list the item, or to relist, or if you use any of their enhanced listing options like larger images, extra lines for the description etc.

The £4.95 was the price I quoted for delivery in the listing, but when it went for so much I decided I needed to have the special delivery with enhanced insurance.

The costs are unfortunately unavoidable, and are all documented.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
ebay is the tool of the devil, but has by far the best reach. a necessary evil in some ways.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
ebay is the tool of the devil, but has by far the best reach. a necessary evil in some ways.

The sad thing is eBay is a perfectly good system, and their fees are totally fair, you'd pay a lot more to sell items in your own shop (rent, rates etc) and even on a webstore, the ongoing costs are there and could well equate to more than 10%, especially if you want global coverage on a site that rarely if ever breaks down. As for Paypal, it's around 3%, which is comparable with credit card fees.

The problem with eBay is the shysters who sell rubbish on it, knackered goods, fake goods, terrible quality goods, non existent goods, at least you're protected by eBay if you don't receive what you bought.

I think that for the casual/amateur seller, the thought of having to pay someone a fee for hosting your listing, running the sale, advertising your product, is what they don't like. You can of course use Vinted, DePop, Gumtree or Schpok, but you don't get the reach, and far far fewer people look on those sites. In my experience, those other sites have even more fakes and crap, and they do little if anything to stop it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here