Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1985/86 Red Brighton shirt

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's not clear (at present) exactly when else these shirts were worn.

However...

One - it was only that season (85/86)
Two - given the teams we were playing that season, it's possible they were only worn another three or four occasions.
Three - the only other players to wear No.9 for the rest of that season were Alan Biley and Dean Saunders.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

However...

Two - given the teams we were playing that season, it's possible they were only worn another three or four occasions.
Three - the only other players to wear No.9 for the rest of that season were Alan Biley and Dean Saunders.

And Mick Ferguson and Martin Keown. Might have to really drill it down and work out who played in away games where we may have worn the red shirt.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
These are the away games where we could have needed a change kit for the 85/86 season.

14/09/85 away at Millwall
26/10/85 away at Oldham
9/11/85 away at Shrewsbury maybe.
26/12/85 away at Portsmouth.
15/02/86 away at Peterborough
26/02/87 away at Wimbledon
18/03/87 away at Blackburn maybe.
19/04/87 away at Huddersfield
29/94/87 away at Carlisle.

Just need to find out the team sheets for those games.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That is a thing of great beauty :love:
The was a team of great beauty.

Froze my knackers off that day, then had to travel back to Hull on a slow rattling diesel train with no heating, that stopped absolutely everywhere in the pitch black night. I never knew how I eventually got home or where I had been on the way.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

However...

It’s an absolute beauty . How do you get hold of it ?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The was a team of great beauty.

Froze my knackers off that day, then had to travel back to Hull on a slow rattling diesel train with no heating, that stopped absolutely everywhere in the pitch black night. I never knew how I eventually got home or where I had been on the way.
We, look at the picture, the players were in shorts and short sleeves!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

I did of course mean /86 not /87

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
These are the away games where we could have needed a change kit for the 85/86 season.

14/09/85 away at Millwall
26/10/85 away at Oldham
9/11/85 away at Shrewsbury maybe.
26/12/85 away at Portsmouth.
15/02/86 away at Peterborough

Just need to find out the team sheets for those games.

Here's one (from the Goldstone Wrap website):-

stevegatting2.jpg

Can't work out which match it is though, as Gatting was out for the first half of that season.

Also, from the report in the Albion programme for the fixture against Middlesborugh on Jan 18:-

Albion's cup win at St James's Park two weeks ago.... With Albion wearing red, a strip that has brought them three of their last four wins....

...which would suggest we wore red at Portsmouth and Leeds as well as Newcastle in the cup.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Only referred to that shirt on a thread the other day. It is beautiful and bestowed great luck on the team when they wore it! My first season as a fanatic and saw them wear it at least 4 times. A great team, whose saleries lead to a cull and relegation a year later.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Marvellous.

Match worn home shirts of that era have gone for north of 1k over the years. Nice to see the red one, that's a rare beast.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Adidas really do, and have always have done, make great football shirts. Rivalled only by Puma and Kappa.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
We know that Fashanu wore number 9 in the Peterborough game (his last for the Albion). Anyone know what other games the red shirt was worn in?

I believe Portsmouth away?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
From memory, this is a third-choice shirt.

We started the season with the blue shirt (obvs) and, I believe, the previous season's white shirt (different design) for the second kit. Then November/December time, we played someone where neither kit would do, so we created a red version. And we did well in it - well enough that, for the second half of the season, it become our second choice kit, as it was considered 'lucky'.

All from memory, of course, but I do recall this being the case. Ish.

EDIT - according to Tim Carder's book, we wore the red shirt for the first time in the FA Cup Third Round v Newcastle United. He also states the shirts were considered 'lucky'.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Fashanu definitely wore the number 9 shirt in the FA Cup games against Newcastle, Hull and Peterborough

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
From memory, this is a third-choice shirt.

We started the season with the blue shirt (obvs) and, I believe, the previous season's white shirt (different design) for the second kit. Then November/December time, we played someone where neither kit would do, so we created a red version. '.

We are very good at doing this. :)

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Up to £1k now. That is a beautiful shirt, as an adidas fanboy, I'd love that shirt if I had the moolah. Not sure I'd want to wear it out and about though at that price!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here