Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Peter Hook and the Light - Playing Unknown Pleasures and Closer

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
. . . and a warm-up set of New Order songs.

Just booked tickets for this Feb 2022. I was due to see New Order when Covid hit.

Has anyone seen him/them doing this?

Just how excited should I be about the Joy Division stuff?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Saw him in Preston Park a few years ago and he plays well and voice is better than I thought it would be. A friend I went with who is a huge Joy Division fan loved it. For me it lacked the energy of the New Order concert I went to a couple of years ago who also covered a few Joy Division songs.
Still would go to see him again, especially covering those two classic albums.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Saw him in Preston Park a few years ago and he plays well and voice is better than I thought it would be. A friend I went with who is a huge Joy Division fan loved it. For me it lacked the energy of the New Order concert I went to a couple of years ago who also covered a few Joy Division songs.
Still would go to see him again, especially covering those two classic albums.

Yeah, I saw New Order a few years ago and they were great. Missed them last year because of COVID.

Can't wait to hear Unknown Pleasures and Closer played live.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Decent night out, but if it was me I’d probably not take it too seriously.

Huge regret that I never saw Joy Division, but I was just a few years too young. Made up for it by seeing New Order a dozen or so times in their prime - late 80s and early 90s - so I’d only be able to enjoy this if I thought of it as Hooky and his mates having a bit of harmless fun for old times sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Saw him at concorde few years back and punk festival both bloody great. I actually enjoyed it more than the new order recent line ups and songs. Defo worth it.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
As long as he hasn't drafted Rowetta in for vocal duties again it should be grand.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Ridiculous as a Cheshire Boy I never saw either Joy Division or New Order Live back in the day, but I did see Hooky playing bass at a Durutti Column gig in Manchester Cathedral. Was off my tits so can't remember much about it...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Decent night out, but if it was me I’d probably not take it too seriously.

Huge regret that I never saw Joy Division, but I was just a few years too young. Made up for it by seeing New Order a dozen or so times in their prime - late 80s and early 90s - so I’d only be able to enjoy this if I thought of it as Hooky and his mates having a bit of harmless fun for old times sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mate of mine saw Joy Division at Futurama in Leeds in 1979 and told me at the time that they were dreary shit. They really hadn't made a mark then, and were mocked for being a sort of Mancunian Doors. Years later he tells me they were brilliant ??? :lolol:

The list of banads at Futurama, though :love: Anyone here go? [MENTION=16592]Crispy Ambulance[/MENTION]? Here is the line up:

Futurama.PNG

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A mate of mine saw Joy Division at Futurama in Leeds in 1979 and told me at the time that they were dreary shit. They really hadn't made a mark then, and were mocked for being a sort of Mancunian Doors. Years later he tells me they were brilliant ??? :lolol:

The list of banads at Futurama, though :love: Anyone here go? [MENTION=16592]Crispy Ambulance[/MENTION]? Here is the line up:

View attachment 134248

Went to the Sunday one, mostly to see Hawkwind. Remember how shockingly filthy Leeds was, so no change there...:lolol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

View attachment 134248

Wow, what a line up!

Never got anywhere close to that, though did go to a 1987 Factory Records thing in Finsbury Park which had New Order, Happy Mondays, A Certain Ratio and The Railway Children on the bill.

Cracking gig, though I remember being right at the front near Hooky when the temporary barriers started giving way under the crowd pressure. Scary shit. And Hooky bellowing "fookin' move BACK" at us when there was nothing we could do about it...

neworderfinsbury.jpg

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

View attachment 134248

Sadly not, Harry, but what a cracking line up.

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Wow, what a line up!

Never got anywhere close to that, though did go to a 1987 Factory Records thing in Finsbury Park which had New Order, Happy Mondays, A Certain Ratio and The Railway Children on the bill.

Cracking gig, though I remember being right at the front near Hooky when the temporary barriers started giving way under the crowd pressure. Scary shit. And Hooky bellowing "fookin' move BACK" at us when there was nothing we could do about it...

View attachment 134251

I saw that gig at Finsbury Park. Very early days for the Happy Mondays they were off their heads and I seem to remember they cut the power on them to get them to finish!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
. . . and a warm-up set of New Order songs.

Just booked tickets for this Feb 2022. I was due to see New Order when Covid hit.

Has anyone seen him/them doing this?

Just how excited should I be about the Joy Division stuff?

I love Joy Division and have to say Peter does it alright. He puts his heart into it and has that obvious connection to it. He does incredible energy sapping long sets as well.

It is great to see it live and although he is a serious soul about it all. Its good to see it with a crowd of like minded people.

When I saw his last gig in Brighton he did all of the new order albums technique and republic, which the crowd was there for. Not my bag but the audience went mad for it over the Joy Division stuff.

However instead of a support band they opened before a break with the following.

Intro tape (‘Trans Europe Express’ by Kraftwerk)

‘Dead Souls’ (originally found on 1980 ‘Licht Und Blindheit’ single)

‘These Days’ (originally found on 1980 ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ single FAC 23)

‘The Sound Of Music’ (originally found on 1981 ‘Still’ compilation album FACT 40)

‘She’s Lost Control’ (originally found on 1979 ‘Unknown Pleasures’ album FACT 10)

‘Shadowplay’ (originally found on 1979 ‘Unknown Pleasures’ album FACT 10)

‘Ceremony’ (NOT ‘Transmission’ as per the set list) (originally found on 1981 ‘Still’ compilation album FACT 40)

The band are really good and I would recommend it of you a fan of Joy Division. If you want to hear the music live I think its the closet you will get to it. I think its his son on guitar as well.

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2019/02/23/peter-hook-entertains-with-30-tune-set-in-brighton/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 10.30.13.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 10.30.13.png
    1 MB · Views: 37

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here