Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton & Hove Parking Permits for second household Car Going up by £100pa in

theboybilly

2 or 3 cars per household is unsustainable. The city is gridlocked as it is with a projected 30% increase in the next decade and a half. Just how much land do the road lobby want to grab for their greedy selves? At every attempt to try to get infrastructure installed for better transport car owners come out to try and block everything. The only thing left to do is tax them off the road. Make it as expensive as possible to store their lumps of metal outside their houses. Its the only way.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
An additional £2 per week for a second car parking permit seems reasonable.

But I don't live in the area so I'll keep out of it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
2 or 3 cars per household is unsustainable. The city is gridlocked as it is with a projected 30% increase in the next decade and a half. Just how much land do the road lobby want to grab for their greedy selves? At every attempt to try to get infrastructure installed for better transport car owners come out to try and block everything. The only thing left to do is tax them off the road. Make it as expensive as possible to store their lumps of metal outside their houses. Its the only way.

when did car owners ever campaign against infrastructure? may be huff and puff about some cycle lanes.
land for roads is a fraction of 1%, used for transporting all the goods and services you use.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
All off road parking where I live and think I’m the only single car owner. Couple of households have 4 vehicles. All for it better for the environment as well as me being able to park in my own road!
Not always a tax on the poor, there’s lots of Victorian/ Edwardian areas in Brighton that have no off road parking that have very expensive properties.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Problem I've got is that this is a tax on the poor.

If £100pa is enough to push you to sell one of your cars, then you're probably not very well off.

Equally if you are lucky enough to have a driveway and/or garage you won't be affected by this.

The people who will be affected by this the most are those who need to drive to get to work and are unable to car share.

The way to do this would be a national car tax on 2nd cars, not just for parking, with exemptions for necessity, eg. no viable public transport to area of work.

If you've got two cars you are not poor.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All off road parking where I live and think I’m the only single car owner. Couple of households have 4 vehicles. All for it better for the environment as well as me being able to park in my own road!
Not always a tax on the poor, there’s lots of Victorian/ Edwardian areas in Brighton that have no off road parking that have very expensive properties.

A lot of these old properties are now divvied up into flats. So one old property could have up to half a dozen cars all jockeying for parking. And that's assuming one car per flat. Which is enough of a mess as it is. Factor in a second car and it becomes quite absurd. Need taxing ever upwards til they take the hint :wave:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
All those huge properties up Dyke Road Avenue and surrounding roads (looking at you Woodland Drive) with 3 or 4 (or 5) cars escaping this one then.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I perhaps should have added when I posted this that I have no issue with the proposal and might even be convinced that £100 isn’t enough, make it £500[emoji106]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A lot of these old properties are now divvied up into flats. So one old property could have up to half a dozen cars all jockeying for parking. And that's assuming one car per flat. Which is enough of a mess as it is. Factor in a second car and it becomes quite absurd. Need taxing ever upwards til they take the hint :wave:

Look at Bear Road as an example, when I was a kid they were mostly houses up there if not all, then they’ve slowly be turned into flats and treble the amount of cars and then the parking on the opposite side became out of control, thankfully double yellow lines have been out in on that side now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Some serious sweeping generalisations going on here! What about a house with five adults where the kids can't afford their own place and they need a car for work?

I'm not saying they shouldn't have to pay mind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Agree with this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some serious sweeping generalisations going on here! What about a house with five adults where the kids can't afford their own place and they need a car for work?

I'm not saying they shouldn't have to pay mind.

I do wonder how many people actually need a car for work. Obviously some do, but I’m convinced many who claim so, could find alternatives if they had to.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

My view as well.

This will represent a very small fraction of the cost of running two cars.

The council needs to make money back and clear cars out of the city as much as possible

This ticks both boxes

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017

What an assumption. Couples can easily have two different jobs, in two different places, neither easily reachable via public transport.

If your assumption is that everyone in a two income household is thriving and has plenty disposable income, let me assure you it’s an incorrect assumption.

It’s an interesting social experiment that’s taking place in Brighton. Whether intentionally or not (it looks intentional) the council are trying to ensure that if you live in Brighton, you also work in Brighton.

The wealthy can easily afford a few extra quid on parking permits, those on low wages often can’t, and along with slowly creeping petrol prices things like this could make the difference between a low wage job outside the town being financially viable or not. Fine if there are equivalent roles being created within the city boundaries that are accessible via public transport, not ok if just increasing the competition for existing vacancies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
That article looks misleading to me. It makes is sound like charging more for 2nd and 3rd permits is a new thing, but looking at the current charges it looks like they introduced this last year. Also, note the exemptions:

FeesandCharges.PNG

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's still another tax on the motoring poor. The bloke with his nice new shiny £50K electric car gets a discount, doesn't pay road tax and can sail through clean air zones without a care in the world. The bloke who drives a 15 year old Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra because that's all he can afford gets clobbered all ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here