Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] I'm Listening.........

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hmm, loved the show and still enjoy the regular repeats on C4, but not sure this is a good idea.

Especially as it says "There has been no confirmation that other members of the original cast will also return"

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It was a brilliant show at its peak, but I also have doubts about reviving it. I think it would be sad without John Mahoney now.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I hope it doesn't happen. IMO Frasier was the best American sitcom ever. He could go from highbrow humour to slapstick without missing a beat,

I think he would be shooting himself in the foot or ...................................

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
John Mahoney has died, and David Hyde-Pierce doesn't want to return. Therefore, the reboot will not work. It's a terrible idea.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most revivals turn out a little bit shit but there are a couple of good exceptions and Kelsey Grammar is a decent actor and unlike some failed revivals, Frasier never relied on some kind of "youthful energy/beauty" so the odds should be better than in most cases. Needs to get the dude who played Niles back as well or its going to feel quite weird. The father is a little bit dead and wont return and if I know the yanks right, the female actors will be replaced by younger, hot women.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
John Mahoney has died, and David Hyde-Pierce doesn't want to return. Therefore, the reboot will not work. It's a terrible idea.

Didnt know that. Should end up terrible then. I'm sure the person who will be brought in to replace him will be a fine person (and who I predict will fill a lot of quotas, good luck doing a show based on middle-aged upper class white heterosexual men in 2020) will be a fine person and actor but the show cant live without the Frasier-Niles dynamic.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Didnt know that. Should end up terrible then. I'm sure the person who will be brought in to replace him will be a fine person (and who I predict will fill a lot of quotas, good luck doing a show based on middle-aged upper class white heterosexual men in 2020) will be a fine person and actor but the show cant live without the Frasier-Niles dynamic.

That's my feeling - it needs Niles to play off Frasier. It also needs Daphne and Roz back. It might just be a case of the actors wanting to make as much as possible from a return - I can imagine Kelsey is getting one hell of a payday for returning and I can't imagine that the others want to be too far below his cheque.

In truth, I loved Fraiser so I'll probably watch whatever they produce - but it's a bit like Dexter, I'm not convinced bringing it back is going to do it any favours. Dexter is slightly different in that the conclusion was pretty miserable, Frasier ended very well and bringing it back doesn't feel necessary.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I think the only shows that came back after long breaks and worked were The Likely Lads (7 years) and Auf Wiedersehen Pet (16 years).

Same authors, of course, and I’d addd that with Pet only the first of the two later series was any good and it’d belatedly come after what was itself a disappointing second series that was beset with difficulties after the death of Gary Holton midway through filming.

Usually reunion shows don’t work. I remember the guy who played Greg Brady said that you can do one-off shows as people will tune in to see what everyone looks like and to catch up on the characters, but after that they soon lose interest.

I think that might happen with Frasier.

I just checked Wikipedia and it seems that Kelsey Grammer is now 66 and Peri Gilpin in 59. For some reason I’d assumed they’d both be ten years older than that. Grammer in particular seemed old when I watched him in Cheers when I was a kid. Seems he was 39.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Kelsey Grammer should just stick to making guest appearances as Sideshow Bob on the Simpsons which work very well. There was one when David Hyde Pierce also appeared as Sideshow Bob's brother Cecil and they played it like a Frasier episode and it was just like the good old days

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
Kelsey Grammer should just stick to making guest appearances as Sideshow Bob on the Simpsons which work very well. There was one when David Hyde Pierce also appeared as Sideshow Bob's brother Cecil and they played it like a Frasier episode and it was just like the good old days

In later seasons John Mahoney starred as Sideshow Bobs and Cecils father, I think it was the one where Bob faked his death.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
When Frasier was first announced as a Cheers spin off, there was a lot of nay sayers. It wont work without the Cheers cast, he is a boring character, etc Frasier arguably turned into a far better show than Cheers

The old cast haven't said they wont do it, they just haven't confirmed they will, so its quite possible (even probable) that they will all be back in some capacity
Even without the entire cast, its possible that thiis will work,and as others have said, it never relied on a young , handsome cast, that would now just be a sad reminder of how time ravages us all!

I have great hopes (and maybe slightly less expectation) that this will be a case of lightning striking twice, Kelsey Grammar has been working on this for some time, (there were reports early last year , and pictures) of Grammar in London with a Fraiser script. He doesnt appear to be an actor to take the money and run, and anyone who captained a star trek ship has kudos enough for me to give it a go

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
When Frasier was first announced as a Cheers spin off, there was a lot of nay sayers. It wont work without the Cheers cast, he is a boring character, etc Frasier arguably turned into a far better show than Cheers

The old cast haven't said they wont do it, they just haven't confirmed they will, so its quite possible (even probable) that they will all be back in some capacity
Even without the entire cast, its possible that thiis will work,and as others have said, it never relied on a young , handsome cast, that would now just be a sad reminder of how time ravages us all!

I have great hopes (and maybe slightly less expectation) that this will be a case of lightning striking twice, Kelsey Grammar has been working on this for some time, (there were reports early last year , and pictures) of Grammar in London with a Fraiser script. He doesnt appear to be an actor to take the money and run, and anyone who captained a star trek ship has kudos enough for me to give it a go

I agree. I wasn't around at the time when the spinoff into Frasier was announced, but people are always sneery and downbeat on reboots and sequels (Frasier doesn't have a brother! Frasier's said his dad is dead in Cheers!).

The fact is what made the show great was, of course, the chemistry of the cast but also the writing was amazing. If they can replicate that standard of writing and hire the cast well, then it will be a very good show. The first run is up there with my favourite TV ever, but it lost something when Daphne and Niles finally got together. Freshening it up may well have the same effect as the Cheers-to-Frasier spinoff.

I for one can't wait.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
Jane Leeves has said that she isn't interested as she is enjoying her role on her new show.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Frasier is incredibly well written and brilliantly acted , in a different league to friends in my opinion . Far cleverer.

The original cast members apart from unfortunately Marty who died a couple of years ago , have to be back in the reboot to make it work .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here