Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Staycation holiday/awayday prices.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Many news reports of interest in U/K holidays or weekends away alas however double or treble the prices as of before so will you pay ? Or rather if everything is open and up and running more simple and low key like a day on the local beach ? A drive into the country pub lunch and stroll ? Take in the local free or nearby attractions,maybe and depending where you live County Cricket the list is endless.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A holiday in the UK is NOT a "staycation". It is a holiday.
A staycation is where you stay at home but do holiday stuff (like get pissed at lunchtime)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Booked a couple of nights in a hotel yesterday as (possibly/hopefully) going to the Open golf in July. Prices were surprisingly normal (not even carrying an ‘Open’ premium).

Oh, and agree. Going away in the UK is a holiday, not a ****ing staycation. :tantrum:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A holiday in the UK is NOT a "staycation". It is a holiday.
A staycation is where you stay at home but do holiday stuff (like get pissed at lunchtime)

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

To answer the OP's question: not willing to pay silly money for a UK holiday. Paying double or triple for a UK break seems mad.

So would take time off to stay at home and do day trips, have nice lunches out etc in a proper staycation.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd bloody LOVE to get on a plane somewhere this year, just can't see it though. I'll be perusing UK options for late summer/autumn when hopefully the worst of this shitstorm will be over, and I can at least go to a pub / restaurant without wearing a gasmask and a hazmat suit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As always, it's all about supply and demand. Myself and a pal have an annual fishing holiday in Cornwall in the Autumn, cancelled last year of course.. In the village where we stay our regular cottage normally costs about £350 for the week for two in October but £700+ in July /August. Its always been that way so we go in Autumn as its cheaper, the fishing is better and we are only there in the evenings as we are fishing all day.

We managed to recently book the week 15th-22nd of May away and it looks like we will just about be legal to do it, this is a bigger cottage that sleeps 5 but it's only £405 for the week.. Cheap as chips!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Going to Rebellion Festival in Blackpool in August as i do every year, except last year of course. All being well hoping it will go ahead this year.
Tenerife booked for July, that will be a tight one if it happens
and Chicago hopefully in August to see my Son, not seen him now in over a year booked primarily to get a seats on the plane more in hope rather than actually expecting to go.

Never heard of the word "staycation" before. is it a new word developed for Covid or just another Americanism from vacation?

Over here i here people saying can't wait to go on "vacation" instead of holiday. or someone has "passed" instead of died. Did catch someone saying that is a film a fews days back so guess how that creeping in.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My Mum (no, my real Mum) has just rebooked a weekend at a Warner Hotel. Cost £15 more than November 2020 for September 2021. Not bad, and a Tina Turner tribute.
My Premier Inn emails used to say 'from £29' now say 'from £35', isn't VAT still 5%?
We had a weeks staycation a couple of years back visiting the local pubs, one a night, for meal and drinks. Including taxi home it would have been cheaper going to Spain.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My Mum (no, my real Mum) has just rebooked a weekend at a Warner Hotel. Cost £15 more than November 2020 for September 2021. Not bad, and a Tina Turner tribute.
My Premier Inn emails used to say 'from £29' now say 'from £35', isn't VAT still 5%?
We had a weeks staycation a couple of years back visiting the local pubs, one a night, for meal and drinks. Including taxi home it would have been cheaper going to Spain.

I'd pay 3x the normal price to avoid a Warner hotel. And 5x if there was a Tina Turner tribute act.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'd pay 3x the normal price to avoid a Warner hotel. And 5x if there was a Tina Turner tribute act.

Grounds enough for Boris to extend lockdown, I’d say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

This is where I lapse into BensGrandad territory by talking about Value For Money. Our country is great and loads to do and all that but I (in normal times) could take my family abroad to be pretty much guaranteed great weather for a lot less money than a holiday in the UK.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I took a punt in January and booked a remote cottage in Wales for the last week in July.

It was £639 then and now a week in August is £989. I wouldn't say that was profiteering.

Not expecting the holiday of a lifetime (What a crap phrase that is, are you supposed to just curl up and die afterwards), but also no major hassle if it has to be cancelled.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
We took a chance on a week in Devon in May and another in July. Booked before Christmas so prices normal. Looks like they will just about come off.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
They've lost a years worth of business, fair play if they want to hike the prices when it opens up.

We're holding off until we can live like normal people, as [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] rightly says.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Going to Rebellion Festival in Blackpool in August as i do every year, except last year of course. All being well hoping it will go ahead this year.
Tenerife booked for July, that will be a tight one if it happens
and Chicago hopefully in August to see my Son, not seen him now in over a year booked primarily to get a seats on the plane more in hope rather than actually expecting to go.

Never heard of the word "staycation" before. is it a new word developed for Covid or just another Americanism from vacation?

Over here i here people saying can't wait to go on "vacation" instead of holiday. or someone has "passed" instead of died. Did catch someone saying that is a film a fews days back so guess how that creeping in.

Lucky you going to a festival, Henry Rollins will be interesting, no psychobilly bands on this year at Rebellion.
The Psychobilly Festival near Barcelona is usually on first weekend of July, that is not happening, maybe later in the year I will go to Berlin or the one in Antwerp.

We have a weekend in a cottage booked for Easter in West Wittering which should go ahead.
Flights for Scilly have been cancelled.
We have flights for Valencia in August booked, but that may also go by the wayside.
Really need to get away. as last year was horrible for everyone I know. last year we had a break cancelled at the last minute because we later found out that they got more for the place than we booked it for basically gazumped.

Interesting your going to Chicago, because if Valencia flights get cancelled or Spain is simply not open, we were toying with the idea of flying to Detroit to see the wife's father and jump in his boat and go up north to the Upper Peninsula and stay in a log cabin away from everyone and spend lazy days on the lakes.

tuff call, I am not staying at bloody home again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here