Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham potter: Genius or fraud?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
To be fair, a manager who has managed to finish above us (and do a number on us) consistently for some years now

I wasn’t being derogatory. What was being described sounded like Burnley. They’ve done an excellent job. They are what they are.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Unless the player is better than everyone else its not a good idea to play according to the strengths of one single individual. Same is said about Maupay today, "should play to his strengths". Fine, to get him to score more (not necessarily the team though) it would probably be wise to play counter-attacking football with a low defense and low possession. This means Bissouma cant play to his strengths, he wins the ball too often. And Gross who is a playmaker that likes to have a lot of ball would need to do less playmaking. Adam Webster would need to do less ball carrying from the back, because the ball needs to go quickly to Maupay. Great, sacrificing the strengths of at least three of the best players in order to accomodate Maupays potential goal scoring ability. Sounds healthy.

I get your point, but I am not talking about Maupay and this team. At the time, we often faced a team playing a high defensive line, perfect for a through ball for a speed merchant like CMS to run on to, but we kept playing to his feet, despite the fact he had the first touch of a rapist. Many of our games were drawn 0-0. Gus has since said he wanted CMS for his ability to press the keeper for 90 minutes, more than for his goal scoring ability, but to my mind he could have got both with a little tweak in what we did at the time, particularly against a high back line. It would not have required a huge change, and might also have encouraged the opposition to drop the back line a bit further back.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh my goodness. If they ever do that I won’t be around to watch it. I rather wish those who watch football as though it were on a PlayStation consul would disappear back to the solitude of their bedrooms and leave the rest of us to enjoy SPORT.

The answer to the question is that he is neither but just like any ‘guru,’he has his disciples. My view is that he is a very good coach who (in his own word) is still ‘learning’ at PL level.

This.

There was a Snowball around 20 years ago on the old Mailing List, and who played in the SFL. I wonder if this is a relation.

Very wanky article, though. Sorry, if the author is reading :shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
:clap2:
Means absolutely f*** all to me, central heating wiring is easier to understand :)

I got my head around our boiler that after 3 plumbers failed.

2 wires, on/off. NO/NC :laugh:

Potter could be a 'fraudulent genius' . . . but Trying to do the near impossible is neither

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just as a counter point though, where Burnley and Dyche finish is arguably their ceiling, whereas our ceiling feels higher, we're just not realising it - yet

I'm strongly thinking that our football ceiling will strongly reflect our wages ceiling in the short to medium term. Might not be pretty - til we take it to the next level

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sounds like he's been ON the Snowballs :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drunk::drunk::drunk::whisky::whisky::whisky:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In Albion terms for sure. But not in EPL terms. Still perpetually lingering in and around that Mini League Of Death

It’s unacceptable isn’t it. We should be beating “teamslikejustaboutanybody”

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It’s unacceptable isn’t it. We should be beating “teamslikejustaboutanybody”

No idea what that means, if anything :shrug:

Fact is tho, TB is increasingly up against dodgy oligarchs and former/current heads of states of corrupt nations. Maybe he's bet the house on them all pissing off to their own SuperDuperChampionsDoublePremierEuroLeague. If/when that happens, then great, we might well come close to lording it over a parish pump EPL. Guess it's all relative eh? :shrug:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm strongly thinking that our football ceiling will strongly reflect our wages ceiling in the short to medium term. Might not be pretty - til we take it to the next level

Unfortunately true. Someone posted a wage budget league table here once. It’s scary how aligned it is to the real thing.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Unfortunately true. Someone posted a wage budget league table here once. It’s scary how aligned it is to the real thing.

Here's an old one..

Screenshot 2021-02-25 130301.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here