Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham potter: Genius or fraud?

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
I found this on the Eurosport website written by Ben Snowball ...... Your thoughts please.

BRIGHTON ARE OFF TO EUROPE (IN XG LAND)
Brighton are in a real scrap to retain their Premier League status after losing 2-1 to Crystal Palace on Monday night, despite dominating.

GRAHAM POTTER: GENIUS OR FRAUD?

In our age of technology, where we can even hear what Mars sounds like, it seems silly that we still hand out a blanket three points for a win regardless of the performance. If we used a fairer method - expected goals (xG), expected goals against (xGA) and expected points (xPTS) we would have an improved Premier League table.

Using this method, Manchester City would be nine points clear of Chelsea at the top, with Manchester United and Liverpool completing the top four. And in fifth place? That would be Brighton & Hove Albion.

You see, Brighton are basically a PG version of Russian roulette: all of the threat with none of the devastation. They carve out chance after chance, the xG-o-meter siren constantly blaring, and then concede to a last-gasp Christian Benteke goal and end up losing to a Crystal Palace side that had 22 fewer shots.

Instead of dreaming of trips to Qarabag and Viktoria Plzen in Europe, there is a very real chance that Brighton will be carving out 100 chances in the Championship next season. And still losing 1-0.

We can draw two different conclusions from this. One, Graham Potter is the ultimate stat-padder, your mate on FIFA who shoots from the halfway line a couple of times and then claims to have "dominated". The second is that he is a genius surrounded by dross, a perfect appointment for a team that has attacking players but plays defensively... a team that is currently devoid of inspiration and whose manager refuses to accept fault. Sadly, no one springs to mind, so Potter's pain at Brighton must go on.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Oh my goodness. If they ever do that I won’t be around to watch it. I rather wish those who watch football as though it were on a PlayStation consul would disappear back to the solitude of their bedrooms and leave the rest of us to enjoy SPORT.

The answer to the question is that he is neither but just like any ‘guru,’he has his disciples. My view is that he is a very good coach who (in his own word) is still ‘learning’ at PL level.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Laughable journalism. Reads like an interns work experience assignment, a D-grade essay or a drunken mates rambling Facebook post. Poor.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looking at Snowball’s ‘features’ list over the last 8 years, he’s simply a paid troll. Clickbait.

Controversial headlines, then nothing but conjecture.

He clearly know bugger all about football.

I wonder which club he supports? The bitchy tone suggests a rival.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Laughable journalism. Reads like an interns work experience assignment, a D-grade essay or a drunken mates rambling Facebook post. Poor.

Hmmm.... it's part of a light-hearted football round-up, with some fun embeds (which will be familar to Albion fans but not many others). That's it.

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...ps-scoring-the-warm-up_sto8144945/story.shtml

That said... it’s not in the same league as this beauty, from Eurosport’s old morning briefing.

ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC: STILL RUBBISH

https://www.eurosport.com/football/zlatan-ibrahimovic-still-rubbish_sto4713230/story.shtml

The comments are long-gone sadly - it flew over the heads of 90% of fans. Lovely stuff.

Last edited:

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Neither. Done a superb job with the midfield and defence. However very slow to sort the keeper out, but he got there in the end. He is even slower to sort the forward situation, by circa 3 to 4 months and counting. Football is a results business and unless he does soon, then he might be out of a job by summer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
XG is the biggest load of nerdy bollocks. It means absolutely nothing in the real world but fill your boots if it floats your boat.

Anyone who thinks Potter is a fraud is a completely clueless moron in my very humble opinion. He’s short of being a genius though

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Snowball? Seems a bit of a melt to me.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
XG is the biggest load of nerdy bollocks. It means absolutely nothing in the real world but fill your boots if it floats your boat.

Anyone who thinks Potter is a fraud is a completely clueless moron in my very humble opinion. He’s short of being a genius though

Only a centre forward short of a genius. Totally agree re XG. If you know football you can watch a player. I think we signed CMS on statistics, but within 20 minutes of watching him play me and my mate both looked at each other and said that if anyone thinks he is a better centre forward than Murray then they know sod all about football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Neither. Done a superb job with the midfield and defence. However very slow to sort the keeper out, but he got there in the end. He is even slower to sort the forward situation, by circa 3 to 4 months and counting. Football is a results business and unless he does soon, then he might be out of a job by summer.

However this season pans out, I can absolutely guarantee you GP will not be out of a job this summer. That is cast iron.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only a centre forward short of a genius. Totally agree re XG. If you know football you can watch a player. I think we signed CMS on statistics, but within 20 minutes of watching him play me and my mate both looked at each other and said that if anyone thinks he is a better centre forward than Murray then they know sod all about football.

You only had to look at the Peterborough goals video from the season before we signed him to see he was a very duracell batteried poacher and nowhere near the quality of Glenn. Poyet’s obvious dislike of Murray’s apparent attitude blinded him imo. I was absolutely gutted when we showed Murray the door in preference to CMS.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
However this season pans out, I can absolutely guarantee you GP will not be out of a job this summer. That is cast iron.

Will have to defer to you on that, I'm just a long standing Albion punter not ITK. One thing I do know is that if he keeps putting Maupay as first name on the team sheet without trying other options or even "doing a Chris Sutton" then he needs some serious questions asked on his next review. I agree tho' he didnt assemble the squad so the forward options are not his fault. But then, neither are the midfield players his triumph.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I remember when football used to be a simple game, I’m not convinced possession counts for much two decent wingers a striker like Murray with a nippy partner, solid back four and a midfield general. All this pretend goal xg nonsense does my tits in.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
You only had to look at the Peterborough goals video from the season before we signed him to see he was a very duracell batteried poacher and nowhere near the quality of Glenn. Poyet’s obvious dislike of Murray’s apparent attitude blinded him imo. I was absolutely gutted when we showed Murray the door in preference to CMS.

CMS control of a football was worse than mine and his finishing would fit into the current side. The old "head down, stare at the ball and smack it as hard as you can" method that is most common in children's under 10's football. No dea why they think they can score without looking where the keeper is in relation to the goal. Inept, utterly inept.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I remember when football used to be a simple game, I’m not convinced possession counts for much two decent wingers a striker like Murray with a nippy partner, solid back four and a midfield general. All this pretend goal xg nonsense does my tits in.

Calling Mr Dyche.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here