Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham potter: Genius or fraud?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
XG is the biggest load of nerdy bollocks. It means absolutely nothing in the real world but fill your boots if it floats your boat.

Anyone who thinks Potter is a fraud is a completely clueless moron in my very humble opinion. He’s short of being a genius though

100% this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
"Instead of dreaming of trips to Qarabag and Viktoria Plzen in Europe, there is a very real chance that Brighton will be carving out 100 chances in the Championship next season. And still losing 1-0."

Say what you like - but that's funny and painfully accurate!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
XG is the biggest load of nerdy bollocks. It means absolutely nothing in the real world but fill your boots if it floats your boat.

Anyone who thinks Potter is a fraud is a completely clueless moron in my very humble opinion. He’s short of being a genius though

It might be the only way to stop Man City at the moment. As soon as a team wins the ball. Encircl e it at the corner flag with 10 players in which Man City would need to foul you trying to get the ball back then keep the ball there for 45 mins each half.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I found this on the Eurosport website written by Ben Snowball ...... Your thoughts please.

BRIGHTON ARE OFF TO EUROPE (IN XG LAND)
Brighton are in a real scrap to retain their Premier League status after losing 2-1 to Crystal Palace on Monday night, despite dominating.

GRAHAM POTTER: GENIUS OR FRAUD?

In our age of technology, where we can even hear what Mars sounds like, it seems silly that we still hand out a blanket three points for a win regardless of the performance. If we used a fairer method - expected goals (xG), expected goals against (xGA) and expected points (xPTS) we would have an improved Premier League table.

Using this method, Manchester City would be nine points clear of Chelsea at the top, with Manchester United and Liverpool completing the top four. And in fifth place? That would be Brighton & Hove Albion.

You see, Brighton are basically a PG version of Russian roulette: all of the threat with none of the devastation. They carve out chance after chance, the xG-o-meter siren constantly blaring, and then concede to a last-gasp Christian Benteke goal and end up losing to a Crystal Palace side that had 22 fewer shots.

Instead of dreaming of trips to Qarabag and Viktoria Plzen in Europe, there is a very real chance that Brighton will be carving out 100 chances in the Championship next season. And still losing 1-0.

We can draw two different conclusions from this. One, Graham Potter is the ultimate stat-padder, your mate on FIFA who shoots from the halfway line a couple of times and then claims to have "dominated". The second is that he is a genius surrounded by dross, a perfect appointment for a team that has attacking players but plays defensively... a team that is currently devoid of inspiration and whose manager refuses to accept fault. Sadly, no one springs to mind, so Potter's pain at Brighton must go on.

What a load of utter bollocks. :D

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What's the highest placed team in England that follows this model?
No idea I just preferred the end to end football it created. I want to be entertained on a Saturday. Poyet’s 100 passes a game zzzzz Hughton championship seasons much more enjoyable, Potter ball has an outcome that’s way to predictable every game a carbon copy of the last.

My favourite Albion seasons are probably BL’s reign Nelson Bremner/Small Byrne I dunno it was just enjoyable.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I remember when football used to be a simple game, I’m not convinced possession counts for much two decent wingers a striker like Murray with a nippy partner, solid back four and a midfield general. All this pretend goal xg nonsense does my tits in.

100% this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is it a fraud when every non-Brighton team with high xG are also high up the table when every non-Brighton team with low xG are also low in the table?

It clearly shows something whether you like it or not. Its, as I see it, far more interesting than statistics/"facts" that people make up in their butthole like "why are we worst in the league at doing x" or "player x is very good or bad at this thing". Like yesterdays "we never get penalties" when it takes about one minute to find out Brighton got more penalties than 15 other teams in the league.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No idea I just preferred the end to end football it created. I want to be entertained on a Saturday. Poyet’s 100 passes a game zzzzz Hughton championship seasons much more enjoyable, Potter ball has an outcome that’s way to predictable every game a carbon copy of the last.

My favourite Albion seasons are probably BL’s reign Nelson Bremner/Small Byrne I dunno it was just enjoyable.

Maybe because you were young and had a future back then. It usually improves any experience. In my mind the 90s were a better time but it might be down more to changes in me than changes in the world. Or not, its hard to tell.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How is it a fraud when every non-Brighton team with high xG are also high up the table when every non-Brighton team with low xG are also low in the table?

It clearly shows something whether you like it or not. Its, as I see it, far more interesting than statistics/"facts" that people make up in their butthole like "why are we worst in the league at doing x" or "player x is very good or bad at this thing". Like yesterdays "we never get penalties" when it takes about one minute to find out Brighton got more penalties than 15 other teams in the league.

You’re allowed to find it more interesting, in the same way I find it unnecessary.

The xG outcome for ourselves is blindingly obvious to anyone who watches our games using their own eyes. If you feel you need to back-up your own observations fair enough.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You’re allowed to find it more interesting, in the same way I find it unnecessary.

The xG outcome for ourselves is blindingly obvious to anyone who watches our games using their own eyes. If you feel you need to back-up your own observations fair enough.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fair enough.

And yes I do like to back up my own observations with information. Eyes = good, information = good, eyes + information = better (= more accurate), as I see it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The football we are playing is top 10 in terms of style, structure , technique & creating chances .

We simply need to take more of these chances . We are 90% there but the remaining 10% dictates where you will finish in the table at the end of the season .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Only a centre forward short of a genius. Totally agree re XG. If you know football you can watch a player. I think we signed CMS on statistics, but within 20 minutes of watching him play me and my mate both looked at each other and said that if anyone thinks he is a better centre forward than Murray then they know sod all about football.

Completely different types of striker, CMS had attributes Glenn didn't, and vice versa, I would have rather have had Murray and played to his strengths, but what pissed me off though was that we got CMS in and didn't play to his strengths.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Will have to defer to you on that, I'm just a long standing Albion punter not ITK. One thing I do know is that if he keeps putting Maupay as first name on the team sheet without trying other options or even "doing a Chris Sutton" then he needs some serious questions asked on his next review. I agree tho' he didnt assemble the squad so the forward options are not his fault. But then, neither are the midfield players his triumph.

Trossard, Welbeck, Lallana, Zeqiri all joined on Potter's watch and he also brought back Tau into first team squad so not quite true to say that he didn't assemble the forward options. And he didn't want to manage Andone. Whether that turns out to be a good decision or a bad one, we are never likely to find out sadly.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Completely different types of striker, CMS had attributes Glenn didn't, and vice versa, I would have rather have had Murray and played to his strengths, but what pissed me off though was that we got CMS in and didn't play to his strengths.

Unless the player is better than everyone else its not a good idea to play according to the strengths of one single individual. Same is said about Maupay today, "should play to his strengths". Fine, to get him to score more (not necessarily the team though) it would probably be wise to play counter-attacking football with a low defense and low possession. This means Bissouma cant play to his strengths, he wins the ball too often. And Gross who is a playmaker that likes to have a lot of ball would need to do less playmaking. Adam Webster would need to do less ball carrying from the back, because the ball needs to go quickly to Maupay. Great, sacrificing the strengths of at least three of the best players in order to accomodate Maupays potential goal scoring ability. Sounds healthy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here