Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hayden roberts

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Good player no doubt - we are well stocked in his position but we do need players in all positions that can score goals .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Hmm. Turns out he’ may not be the new messiah after all

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/forum/268014/4077242/

Most of the complaints about his height. Yes also some 'caught out of position' comments but that's what happens to defenders...

I am not sure how big he is but one of our best players in recent years (Bridcutt) was pretty good in the DM role and could out jump people a lot taller than him.

Also glad he is not the new messiah , less pressure on him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hopefully to be followed by a round of #FreeHaydenRoberts in the summer following when the club involved suddenly realise he's not their player
Rochdale understand the loan system very well, and appreciate us loaning them promising youngsters for a year.

They had Big Bob Sanchez last season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Got dropped after 1-4 against MK Dons and since then they have conceded one goal in three games...

Obviously havent seen them play though so I cant say too much. I still think he needs to change position if he wants to establish himself. Sure, everyone always mentions Cannavaro when it comes to short centre backs but the reason everyone mentions him is because he was the exception and Roberts reaching his level is a little bit too much to ask for tbh.

Agreed.

He may make it as a Defensive midfielder, but personally think he’ll struggle at CB even at championship level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
From what I've seen of him he is absolutely suited to playing DM. It would be worth trying to get him a loan next year playing there, even if it is in League One again.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
From what I've seen of him he is absolutely suited to playing DM. It would be worth trying to get him a loan next year playing there, even if it is in League One again.

Agreed. He played CM for Hove Park School (reached National cup final) and West Hove Dynamos for years. He was the fulcrum, everything went through him. Never could understand why Albion moved him to CB.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Hmm. Turns out he’ may not be the new messiah after all

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/forum/268014/4077242/

Supporting obviously means different things to different people. This is an incredibly snide post. It is always easy to be negative, because you can ALWAYS find something to support your view and prove you are right.

I was really excited when Stuart Myall broke into our first team. He briefly looked like he could be a future star. As did a composed young left back called Joel Lynch. If people want to lable me a happy clappy because neither really shone for us and Myall in particular faded from football, I can live with that. what joy do you get from trawling around to find negative coments about an 18 year old, whose only impact thus far for the team you support was to score in a cup game versus Aston Villa?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Supporting obviously means different things to different people. This is an incredibly snide post. It is always easy to be negative, because you can ALWAYS find something to support your view and prove you are right.

I was really excited when Stuart Myall broke into our first team. He briefly looked like he could be a future star. As did a composed young left back called Joel Lynch. If people want to lable me a happy clappy because neither really shone for us and Myall in particular faded from football, I can live with that. what joy do you get from trawling around to find negative coments about an 18 year old, whose only impact thus far for the team you support was to score in a cup game versus Aston Villa?

You’re reading quite a lot into that post , my friend.
Roberts had rave reviews from rochdale fans when he first joined, as someone previously mentioned. I pointed out what they were saying now. All part of the learning curve for Roberts. Remember Sanchez had his ups and downs on loan and it didn’t do him any harm
Full respect to any 18 year old happy to leave home and head to somewhere like rochdale to further their career. He looks like a very good player from the little I’ve seen,although height maybe an issue at cb, as alluded to by our friends in the north.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed - always bothers me that people assume footballers are some kind of robots.

I was 20 and moved to London for 12 months for work - and even that was a fairly daunting experience living in a house share, new surroundings, new job etc - without people discussing my performance on social media and writing off my career because of a bad day at the office.

18 is very young for a CB in the lower leagues for sure

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You’re reading quite a lot into that post , my friend.
Roberts had rave reviews from rochdale fans when he first joined, as someone previously mentioned. I pointed out what they were saying now. All part of the learning curve for Roberts. Remember Sanchez had his ups and downs on loan and it didn’t do him any harm
Full respect to any 18 year old happy to leave home and head to somewhere like rochdale to further their career. He looks like a very good player from the little I’ve seen,although height maybe an issue at cb, as alluded to by our friends in the north.

Fair enough - If he was ready for the first team at 18, he wouldn't have gone out on loan. Bound to be a few mistakes along the way, which is part of the learning curve.

Of late Webster has been getting tons of praise for some excellent performances, whereas some fans are desperate to cash in on Ben White, who has less than a season's experience in the premier league and still has so much potential.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Fair enough - If he was ready for the first team at 18, he wouldn't have gone out on loan. Bound to be a few mistakes along the way, which is part of the learning curve.

Of late Webster has been getting tons of praise for some excellent performances, whereas some fans are desperate to cash in on Ben White, who has less than a season's experience in the premier league and still has so much potential.

Young players making their mistakes on loan is superb for us.Better than the other way round, which has often been the case for us over the years.
Ben White is a contentious one. I maybe in the minority but I would accept a £30m or so fee, for three reasons - we are well stocked at CB, we could use that money to reinforce upfront, and there’s no guarantee White will fulfill his potential. Webster’s ceiling potential is higher than white’s IMO.
That said, it was great when we gave Leeds the middle finger.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agreed - always bothers me that people assume footballers are some kind of robots.

I was 20 and moved to London for 12 months for work - and even that was a fairly daunting experience living in a house share, new surroundings, new job etc - without people discussing my performance on social media and writing off my career because of a bad day at the office.

18 is very young for a CB in the lower leagues for sure

You look at Sanchez.
Left his home country at 15.
Went on loan to forest green and then Rochdale.
Career now flying.
What an example to young players at the club.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You look at Sanchez.
Left his home country at 15.
Went on loan to forest green and then Rochdale.
Career now flying.
What an example to young players at the club.

Exactly. The patience to wait until you are about 23 is a very good example for youngsters. Being good in positions like goal keeper and centre half is reliant on the ability to read the game, this often means experience is a huge asset.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

What is a football forum for if its not an avenue for supporters to give opinions for and against on team , manager and players.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here