Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How Do We Get Rid Of VAR?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Completely unrealistic, as the majority of fans have already paid for their tickets. And VAR doesn't materially affect clubs revenues, so why would they bother ?

You don’t think mass walk-outs or similar protests over VAR would potentially have an effect once fans are allowed back in?

It’s f*cking hilarious how much people moan about VAR and how it’s ruined football but then continue to pump in just as much money as they did before. Fans will be back in stadiums next season, they’ll spend the entire season moaning about how football is ruined and how you can’t even celebrate goals and then they’ll put their hands in their pocket and sign up for another year of it. It’s absolute mug behaviour.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
They wont go back to occasional goal given when miles offside so for this VAR will stay. Would like all subjective decisions regarding fouls / handballs in penalty area to only be decided by ref. Screen to still be available for ref if he wants to double check his decision

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Very much this - the instant joy of a goal has gone.

But if we find ourselves in the last must win game to stay in the league (which could still happen) and the opposistion scored a goal in the last minute for a draw and it looked like a perfectly good goal but was found to be offside (as it stands now) then are people still going to say the VAR is evil and must die, it is either offside or isn't.
But I do understand the current frustrations and I believe that it is down to no common sense.
So I think that the refs, assistants, managers and players should get together in the close season and showed 20 scenarios off offside from this season and agree that if it is clearly offside then it is offside but in cases where the offside is given by VAR because the player was not circumsised and it was his baggy foreskin that made the decision then that is clearly ridiculous and the goal is allowed to stand.
Once agreed what is sensible then there must be no arguments from the managers.
Regarding goal celebrations, if the ref deems it a goal then celebrate the goal and play on, VAR can look at it as play continues, if it is not a goal the electric scoreboard can scotch it off, but no stopping of the game for an offside free kick, just play on, players, managers and fans will all know and the game continues.
With other decisions the monitor still needs to be used, it worked perfectly well in the world cup.
Now, handball, it really is silly and nobody knows what handball is anymore, so, you are not supposed to touch the ball with your hand or lower arm (upper arm should be discounted) so if it does whether it is intentional or not or if your hand/is by the side or up in the air, then it is handball, unintentional gets a penalty/free kick, intentional gets a red card for cheating and a penalty free kick.
Its just bloody bad luck if you handball it unintentionally.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ten years ago I asked myself the question "how do we get rid of smartphones?"

The answer was disappointing. The answer to this question is also disappointing.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
It feels like certain people were screaming for VAR to be first introduced to help the refs on 1 or 2 matters within the game, but to get their moneys worth the Premier League have ended up implementing it in too many ways. It needs to be stripped back, minimize its uses.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I think VAR is a necessary evil in today's game. Until you can get footballers to stop cheating, ie. falling down in the box, overacting a minor foul etc it will have to remain with us. It did, for a while, stop the silly little dances footballers have to do and running to the crowd for adulation when they've scored. But the little darlings have managed to overcome this. Rather than the likes of Lineker and Shearer attacking referees using the benefit of hours of slow motion I would like to see ex footballers go into refereeing, they know the conning and cheating that goes on and may be able to act on it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The problem isn't VAR, it's the quality of the morons that make the decisions. If you have idiots making stupid decisions on the pitch, why would you expect them to make different ones when sitting watching a video!!!

End of thread :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In answer to the OP's question, there is no way for supporters to get rid of VAR. They don't have a vote (except with their 'feet').

Anway, there is a large element of herd mentality among game attendees and I remember before Covid that fans sang '**** VAR' only when a decision went against them. A painstaking review of a Zaha goal, resulting in it being chalked off due to a marginal but genuine offside would be greeted like the second coming.

It's all much faster now, too, with a much better rubric. I can't see why anyone would complain about it now (unless they are the sort who, once a decision is made stick with it like leach).

Anyway, game attenders are the minorty of football watchers these days, let's not forget, and in the EPL TV money is king. With an empty stadium and you in your lounge, nobody will hear you scream.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Lino problem with not flagging anymore.
Two incidents last weekend, one in our match and similar in the Chelsea game where the linesman no longer flags offside.
In our game at 14 minutes a Palace player is easily offside, no second looks or doubts, he is offside by a long way.
BUT lino keeps his flag down, as is normal now, and said player continues running after the ball. Everyone else has stopped because it was offside. But play continues. Sanchez comes out and kicks the ball out. Throw in to them. Because there is no penalty then play isn't checked and so we just accept it.

Option two to get rid of VAR, get relegated.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
It's been far less intrusive in all the games I've watched recently. Certainly since the Christmas period things have been more fluid with less interruptions.

Some questionable decisions by the stockley park officials and Mike Dean on the pitch but the process has certainly improved.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But if we find ourselves in the last must win game to stay in the league (which could still happen) and the opposistion scored a goal in the last minute for a draw and it looked like a perfectly good goal but was found to be offside (as it stands now) then are people still going to say the VAR is evil and must die, it is either offside or isn't.

Overall, yes. The scenario you describe would simply be offsetting that disgraceful VAR Southampton penalty. As to ‘it is either offside or it isn’t’ that may be true but it cannot be determined by technology. Offside is supposed to be judged from the moment the ball is passed. VAR can only create a window of that moment. It simply does not give us the discrete point in time. This is a part of the problem with this debate. VAR over promises and it’s adherents make their judgement on what they would like it to achieve rather than taking into account its limitations.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There are two things that would sort VAR once and for all:

1) Offsides. This requires a change in the law. Make it so that all that counts are foot positions. Then the player is either offside or he isn't based on that. Armpits, arms, heads - none of it matters, it's all about where the forward is running from as he tries to spring the offside trap.
2) Penalties. Revert to VAR only correcting clear and obvious errors. If it is remotely contentious, then it should be "umpire's call".

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Football is played by humans on often wet pitches... it is a contact sport that inevitably means that players collide, the ball hits their arms and can find themselves marginally offside. In the past this was accepted as just inevitable and ignored. The handball and offside rules being there to stop deliberate cheating. VAR makes a forensic slide rule study of replays. This is not a horse race to be judged by a photo finish ... if the human eye can’t see it , then it should not matter.

The question was how to get rid of it? I don’t know. We can’t stay home in protest can we? If it is up to the league chairmen then if enough season ticket holders threatened to not renew because of VAR , that might do something

boik

This is another bugbear of mine - linos keeping the flag down on offsides, letting a phase of play continue until the forward gets to the ball. Its batshit mental, and someone is going to get unnecessarily crocked as a direct result of it. It also just adds yet another level of confusion and uncertainty to the game.

I gather it was introduced to take marginal calls away from linos on offsides and "just let VAR sort it out", but it underlines your point - whats the point of even having them any more ?

But the converse of that is people stopping for a flagged offside, when it is later proved not to be offside and they could easily have scored if they hadn't stopped.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
VAR is here to stay and part of that reason is that it adds drama to the televised product which the game has become.

As its not going away I would widen the scope of VAR to include review of yellow cards decisions partly because I think there should be a 5-10 minute sin bin for yellow cards . All decisions to have a maximum of 30 secs at most on each decision.

Offside flag should should be raised if player is offside really crazy not to have that.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
VAR is here to stay and part of that reason is that it adds drama to the televised product which the game has become.

As its not going away I would widen the scope of VAR to include review of yellow cards decisions partly because I think there should be a 5-10 minute sin bin for yellow cards . All decisions to have a maximum of 30 secs at most on each decision.

Offside flag should should be raised if player is offside really crazy not to have that.

Sin bins, oh please god feck off.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't buy this "Its not VAR - its the way its being implemented" line. If you have it, you have to use it to its full accuracy, otherwise you just introduce more subjectivity into it. The "clear and obvious" thing is rubbish. If its clear and obvious, you don't need VAR at all.

The pro-VAR lobby just didn't think these things through. It can never do anything positive for the game - lets just admit it was a failure, get rid of it and give the decisions back to the refs.

It's the 'clear and obvious' they've consistantly got wrong. If it was used when the referee had made a 'clear and obvious' howler - or simply hasn't seen something, that would be fine. When a player may or may not be a centimetre offside, whichever way the referee's decision goes, neither outcome is a 'clear and obvious' error. @Clear and obvious' should just be for those occasions where the reaction is WTF was the referee thinking of there.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's the 'clear and obvious' they've consistantly got wrong. If it was used when the referee had made a 'clear and obvious' howler - or simply hasn't seen something, that would be fine. When a player may or may not be a centimetre offside, whichever way the referee's decision goes, neither outcome is a 'clear and obvious' error. @Clear and obvious' should just be for those occasions where the reaction is WTF was the referee thinking of there.

Which is entirely subjective. Clear and obvious sounds like a clear cut marker for decisions but it isn’t. There are many occasions where commentators call something decisively one way and I call it the other. We are watching the same incident and that is why VAR isn’t actually a technological solution.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lino problem with not flagging anymore.
Two incidents last weekend, one in our match and similar in the Chelsea game where the linesman no longer flags offside.
In our game at 14 minutes a Palace player is easily offside, no second looks or doubts, he is offside by a long way.
BUT lino keeps his flag down, as is normal now, and said player continues running after the ball. Everyone else has stopped because it was offside. But play continues. Sanchez comes out and kicks the ball out. Throw in to them. Because there is no penalty then play isn't checked and so we just accept it.

And what would have happened if Sanchez had hacked down the striker and broken his leg?
Normally a straight red for violent conduct, but, hang on, if the ref had blown for off-side in the first place he wouldn't have needed to do that.
So, only a mater of time, while linos are told to keep their flags down, before a massive controversy ensues when play should have been stopped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here