Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How Do We Get Rid Of VAR?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I've always said it's not VAR it's the people using it. The reason I say it is based on the evidence of the last World Cup. It was used brilliantly and arguably was the reason we did so well as it rewarded fair play and awarded us penalties the ref missed.

Is exactly the right answer and something I have said all along.
It is how it has been implemented in this country and I do not want to go back to arguments every weekend about decisions made by useless /scared/ bent referees and assistants especially when it was a clear offence that happened right in front if their eyes and often affected clubs that were in the relegation and promotion parts of the league and can cost those clubs millions.
The referees have needed help for some time especially if they genuinely could not see what was happening.
Typical of our blazers to do it differently and get it wrong.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well over a season and a half into the VAR "experiment" l think the vast majority of fans disagree with it, (or at least the way that it is being interpretated).

My question is a simple one, why are the bigwigs at the Premier League so determined to persist with it? isn't football for the fans, so shouldn't we have say on whether or not to go ahead with it?

The best way to get rid of VAR for us is to lose to WBA and keep missing loads of chances.
Job would be done:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
VAR is a work in progress shirley? Maybe if it's scope was reined-in then that would help. This relentless scope-creep isn't exactly helpful IMHO. Undermines the real-time passion of the game. You have to ask even now why are the linos even there? They can now be over-ruled by both the referee and by VAR

This is another bugbear of mine - linos keeping the flag down on offsides, letting a phase of play continue until the forward gets to the ball. Its batshit mental, and someone is going to get unnecessarily crocked as a direct result of it. It also just adds yet another level of confusion and uncertainty to the game.

I gather it was introduced to take marginal calls away from linos on offsides and "just let VAR sort it out", but it underlines your point - whats the point of even having them any more ?

jeremy fisher

Sep 20, 2014
I've just watched the highlights of last night's Chelsea game. An amazing goal by Giroud was initially disallowed by the ref for offside. It was clearly the wrong decision and the goal rightly stood.

I agree that that absolute joy on the goal being scored is now muted and that's a loss, but examples like last night show the benefits. More decisions are now correct and some clearly poor decisions like last night are correctly overruled. It's the ones that are still debatable that are still the problem and I like the idea mentioned earlier of then going with the 'umpire's call' i.e. the original decision.

I also used to hate the badgering of the ref in the old days where the whole team would run up to the ref and berrate them. That's now gone. The ref points to his ear and the players know that it's out of the ref's hands.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There are many, many aspects of VAR that ruin the game, but the biggest one for me is the removal of full-on goal celebrations - that knowledge that as the ball hits the back of the net, there is a bloke pouring over it to a forensic, pixel-sized level from all angles to try and find a way to chalk it off.

When Veltman equalised on Monday, all I could muster was an initial YESS clenched fist celebration, before settling back down in anticipation of a review. Whereas in days gone by, pre-VAR, I'd have gone batshit MENTAL at the goal in that moment with no more than a quick glance at the lino.

Can't do that any more. The games gone.

Yeah this is clearly the biggest detriment to the game.

I think we should stop checking every goal.

Each team have 1 review per game.
They can only challenge a goal/no goal decision.
They have 15 seconds after the goal is given/disallowed to challenge the decision.
They keep the review if proven right.

Adding the review will add a bit of theatre to the VAR process.
You can celebrate the goal and also celebrate when the opposition use up their review pointlessly.

Sure bad decisions will be made when some poor sap used up their review pointlessly.
But goals will be goals until a coach challenges it.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Took almost 3 minutes to confirm Giroud's goal last night. Three minutes. You couldn't do that with a crowd in could you? Well you could, but the abuse the Refs would get would be massive.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I do believe this season has seen a huge change in the decisions from the beginning to now and that's not right. Penalties given for very debatable reasons are now not. That may ok but there's been some that were so questionable. Also there's just no consistency at all and you end up with idiots like Walton on tv dreaming up new laws of the game as we go along. There's laws being applied in situations where they were never intended and were written when there wasn't the forensic analysis we have now.

The offside needs changes there needs to be a clear cut position for the offside to be given. Use feet only or head, not arm, knee, cock or whatever and a a degree of allowance within the lines drawn and this given to the attacker. A computer can be set up, if the lines drawn are within a set measurement ie equates to 100mm then the lines merge which effectively means level and not offside.

Not one close decision has shown that defender and attacker are level, this is just wrong you can not decide a decision by such small margins.

If they continue with the current 'any micron of the attacking players body' approach, then they need overheard / birds eye view cameras to make that a fair decision.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
There are many, many aspects of VAR that ruin the game, but the biggest one for me is the removal of full-on goal celebrations - that knowledge that as the ball hits the back of the net, there is a bloke pouring over it to a forensic, pixel-sized level from all angles to try and find a way to chalk it off.

When Veltman equalised on Monday, all I could muster was an initial YESS clenched fist celebration, before settling back down in anticipation of a review. Whereas in days gone by, pre-VAR, I'd have gone batshit MENTAL at the goal in that moment with no more than a quick glance at the lino.

Can't do that any more. The games gone.

Very much this - the instant joy of a goal has gone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah this is clearly the biggest detriment to the game.

I think we should stop checking every goal.

Each team have 1 review per game.
They can only challenge a goal/no goal decision.
They have 15 seconds after the goal is given/disallowed to challenge the decision.
They keep the review if proven right.

Adding the review will add a bit of theatre to the VAR process.
You can celebrate the goal and also celebrate when the opposition use up their review pointlessly.

Sure bad decisions will be made when some poor sap used up their review pointlessly.
But goals will be goals until a coach challenges it.

This still wouldn't entirely resolve the issue of the celebration-on-hold aspect though. Goals are such a precious commodity that reviews would inevitably be used almost every time a goal is scored, in an effort to have it disallowed for something - anything - and get it overturned (ESPECIALLY if it was a last minute jobbie).

If the appeal has already been used up then happy days I suppose. But it would still introduce another unsatisfactory element to the game IMO.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
By having a major overhaul of the FA and refereeing in this country. The refs in this country are so bad that we started calling for VAR. Then they game the same refs VAR and it's still going wrong. We need to sack all of out current premier league refs and train some new ones, as none of them are good enough. Then, when refereeing isn't ruining the game, VAR might not be needed

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
By having a major overhaul of the FA and refereeing in this country. The refs in this country are so bad that we started calling for VAR. Then they game the same refs VAR and it's still going wrong. We need to sack all of out current premier league refs and train some new ones, as none of them are good enough. Then, when refereeing isn't ruining the game, VAR might not be needed

The players get the refs and standards of decision making they deserve. The constant cheating, diving, feigning injury, contesting every decision and general unsporting behaviour has got us to the place we are.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Once we've sacked all of the current PL referees, I'd love to know exactly where we're going to suddenly get all these fancy new fully trained totally infallible error-free ROBO referees from. Skynet ?

"It can't be reasoned with. It can't be bargained with. It doesn't feel fear, pity or remorse. And it absolutely will not stop, EVER, until you are booked for diving".

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’d suggest when the crowds are back that everyone boos when VAR flashes on the screen.

Trouble is, if it’s to overturn an away goal then you simply won’t get people booing it. People have the power but won’t use it. That’s always the way.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
VAR must die. It could have been useful if they could have stuck to “clear and obvious” errors, but they keep getting involved in “offside shoelace” and 50/50 type decisions, slowing down the game and irritating everybody.

Give the governing body the power to impose/upgrade/rescind punishments after the match, regardless of whether they were mentioned in the refs report or not, and use it only in cases where the whole world and their wife can see that a mistake has been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
VAR must die. It could have been useful if they could have stuck to “clear and obvious” errors, but they keep getting involved in “offside shoelace” and 50/50 type decisions, slowing down the game and irritating everybody.

Give the governing body the power to impose/upgrade/rescind punishments after the match, regardless of whether they were mentioned in the refs report or not, and use it only in cases where the whole world and their wife can see that a mistake has been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would support this manifesto.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Took almost 3 minutes to confirm Giroud's goal last night. Three minutes. You couldn't do that with a crowd in could you? Well you could, but the abuse the Refs would get would be massive.

The problem with that goal was convoluted purely because they couldn't decide if the defender has deliberately played the ball. This for me is the stupidity of the use of the laws of football. He played it with his foot, the law deals with ricochet's and that's very rare in fairness and is obvious.

The biggest issue for me is that most refs can't give a players mentality to a decision and this is where VAR could help if they used an ex-player along with a ref in making the decision.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't buy this "Its not VAR - its the way its being implemented" line. If you have it, you have to use it to its full accuracy, otherwise you just introduce more subjectivity into it. The "clear and obvious" thing is rubbish. If its clear and obvious, you don't need VAR at all.

The pro-VAR lobby just didn't think these things through. It can never do anything positive for the game - lets just admit it was a failure, get rid of it and give the decisions back to the refs.

Agree 100%. An error is an error.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The players get the refs and standards of decision making they deserve. The constant cheating, diving, feigning injury, contesting every decision and general unsporting behaviour has got us to the place we are.

Rubbish. The quality of refereeing in this country was deteriorating long before VAR and that is down to the weakness of the FA and the strong position of the PGMOL. For example, the FA have failed to crack down on simulation. They brought in a stupid rule where you can only be retrospectively punished if you were successful in conning the ref. The rule should have been any simulation and give them a 5 game ban.

That's just one example.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The only way I would ever be happy with VAR staying was if each team had 2 reviews a game, if you successfully appeal a decision, you keep the review.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here