Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Penalties Against

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I noticed that we have given away the 2nd most penalties in the league. Looking at them one by one;

Home vs Chelsea - Alzate gives the ball away on the edge of our box, Ryan brings down Werner

Home vs Man United - Maupay jumps for a header with his arms raised in the last seconds, blatant handball

Away vs Palace - Lamptey breathes on Batshuayi and he flings himself to the ground, VAR inexplicably does not overturn

Away vs Spurs - Harry Kane does his backing in trick but Lallana jumps for the ball from the wrong side, after review it's inside the box

Home vs Saints - Solly March makes a stupid challenge on the edge of the box, VAR decides it's inside the box

Home vs Wolves - Dan Burn makes what is possibly the most blatant foul in history inside the box, on the stroke of half time

Away vs City - Solly March takes a throw in that ends up as a hospital pass towards Dunk, who underhits his header back to Sanchez who brings down De Bruyne

Now, I am sure most of the penalties in the PL this season were avoidable but some of the above were really, really avoidable. We need to cut these silly mistakes out for the rest of the season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I noticed that we have given away the 2nd most penalties in the league. Looking at them one by one;

Home vs Chelsea - Alzate gives the ball away on the edge of our box, Ryan brings down Werner

Home vs Man United - Maupay jumps for a header with his arms raised in the last seconds, blatant handball

Away vs Palace - Lamptey breathes on Batshuayi and he flings himself to the ground, VAR inexplicably does not overturn

Away vs Spurs - Harry Kane does his backing in trick but Lallana jumps for the ball from the wrong side, after review it's inside the box

Home vs Saints - Solly March makes a stupid challenge on the edge of the box, VAR decides it's inside the box

Home vs Wolves - Dan Burn makes what is possibly the most blatant foul in history inside the box, on the stroke of half time

Away vs City - Solly March takes a throw in that ends up as a hospital pass towards Dunk, who underhits his header back to Sanchez who brings down De Bruyne

Now, I am sure most of the penalties in the PL this season were avoidable but some of the above were really, really avoidable. We need to cut these silly mistakes out for the rest of the season.

There will be plenty of more mistakes, its football.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

A largely irrelevant stat, especially considering a few of these shouldn’t have ever been given in the first place.

eg, Man Utd 98th minute and Kane’s swan dive.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Then you get the flipside when Pogba clumsily clatters Connolly from behind with no attempt at the ball, the ref awards the pen, then inexplicably changes his mind after having another look at it.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
A largely irrelevant stat, especially considering a few of these shouldn’t have ever been given in the first place.

eg, Man Utd 98th minute and Kane’s swan dive.

The Man United one was a certainly a penalty and the Kane one was easily avoidable.

I don't think it's irrelevant, it goes to show we've dropped a number of points this season due to stupid penalties.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Of course. But obviously we are making more of these mistakes than other teams, hence we have had the 2nd most pens given against us.

Its not "obvious". Quite a bit of randomness to it. Some teams got 2 or 3 questionable penalties against them, others perhaps none or even got away witth a few that should have been.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's not random that we get penalties given against us for making dumb fouls in/on the box.

10 teams conceded 4-7 penalties. I think its quite random if you concede 4 compared to 6 just like its quite random if you've picked up 35 or 37 yellow cards. The difference is so small that randomness plays a huge part in it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Man United one was a certainly a penalty and the Kane one was easily avoidable.

I don't think it's irrelevant, it goes to show we've dropped a number of points this season due to stupid penalties.

The Kane one was a dangerous foul by him and outside the area anyway.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

indeed , along with chances missed and stupid last minute ( pick a half) goals against ........we should be top six , i mean we matched west ham for 90 mins and they're 4th ffs....!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed it wasn't clear enough to say it was definitely in the box but it was still a moronic tackle from March.

Poor tackles, unnecessary tackles happen all the time.

It was outside the box to the side, it would’ve been long forgotten about it if the incompetent VAR/ref combo had done their job properly.

Regarding Solly, he’s had a good season, contender for POTS. We miss his tenacity and drive down our left just now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Poor tackles, unnecessary tackles happen all the time.

It was outside the box to the side, it would’ve been long forgotten about it if the incompetent VAR/ref combo had done their job properly.

Regarding Solly, he’s had a good season, contender for POTS. We miss his tenacity and drive down our left just now.

The PGMOL even apologised and agreed it was a mistake

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

You are quite right, yes we do, it isn't just the penalties that we give away though, for me our general defending just isn't what it was, we take too many touches in and around our own box, take too much time on the ball, and far too many passes go astray.

Individual mistakes further up the pitch can be rectified, but lose the ball in your own box and generally you are punished for it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What I don't understand, is that if you look at the number of touches we have in the box compared to our opponents after pretty much every game, it's a lot more, but we never get penalties.

We're just less street-wise than other teams and refs know we're an easy target as Potter won't slam them in the media for anything they do

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sloppily giving the ball away up the field seems to be a constant in a few of these and also some of the goals against (not least Monday night). That's more about game management than anything else, and something we can (and should) work on.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
You are quite right, yes we do, it isn't just the penalties that we give away though, for me our general defending just isn't what it was, we take too many touches in and around our own box, take too much time on the ball, and far too many passes go astray.

Exactly this. why on tuesday night didn't we switch to trying to breeze past their defence in the box, and potentially drawing a foul instead of 3,4,5 passes trying to wrok an opening (that we then miss)

Given our domination of possession and territory we should by now know how to create free kicks (like Villa) or win pens if it looks like we cant walk it in ...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Not really.

The Man Utd one occured 2mins - 3mins after the end of injury time. Only the ref can tell you why he decided to play that amount of Fergie time but I'm assuming he made a mistake with his own stop watch with him stopping and not restarting it sometime before Solly's equaliser.

And what could have Lallana done about the Spurs penalty, he jumped for a legitimate header whilst Kane reverse-dived into his mid-rift, with no intention of ever getting the ball, upending and almost seriously injuring him.

We've had a slice of bad luck 3 times along with daft tackles or dodgy passes for the other ones. Take away those 3 dodgy penalties and we're in the middle of the penalties conceded tables. Another example of the worst luck in a season this club has ever seen on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here