Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Your favourite US President?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just been watching a recording of Sky Arts Jimmy Carter Rock and Roll President. Seriously impressed by him and he’s a good friend of Bob Dylan which surprised me.

I am impressed, I had no idea how much of a pacifist he was in really difficult times, the start of terrorism amongst other things with the hostages in Iran.

Apparently no bombs dropped, no invasions and no shots fired in anger during his Presidency, although I seem to recall a comical rescue mission in Iran?

Interested in who NSCers see as great American presidents and why.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
FDR guiding the US through the 30’s Depression using Keynesian Economics and leading through the 2nd WW although a bit late to start.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
FDR guiding the US through the 30’s Depression using Keynesian Economics and leading through the 2nd WW although a bit late to start.

FDR for me too.

He faced huge opposition to the US joining the war from both parties and other interests eg from Joe Kennedy, William Randolph Hearst. FDR got round that, supporting the fight against fascism, with Lend-Lease and other key support given to us. It took Pearl Harbour for the dissenters to be brushed aside.

I liked Bill Clinton too, charismatic.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Definitely a dead one, possibly a very dead one. I'm gonna go with Andrew Jackson, fighting the banks. To no avail in the end, but it was a brave thing to do and no one will ever do it again.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Obama.

Just someone who really inspired me

The best speech delivery i've ever seen

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Obama.

Just someone who really inspired me

The best speech delivery i've ever seen

Before I watched the Carter documentary he would have been my choice too

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have read about most post war ones. Obama for me. Elected weeks after financial crash. Just reading his book. So many made it difficult for him. I think Republicans didnt support him once in 8 years

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Ronnie Reagan for me too - a better President than actor, though ( like many Presidents and politicians) he often got the roles a bit mixed up.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Carter was definitely underrated......

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Trump who deliberately ****ed everyone off, but didn't intentionally kill people in the world, unlike some of his predecessors. :shrug:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Trump who deliberately ****ed everyone off, but didn't intentionally kill people in the world, unlike some of his predecessors. :shrug:

He did try to kill the VP and the Congressional leadership though, as part of an insurrection to overturn the democratic process. Apart from that I suppose he was quite peaceful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here