Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third Test- India v England- Venue: Sardar Patel Stadium, Ahmedabad 24-28.02.2021

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Forget the football, the Monday blues, the relegation battle. It's bat 'n' ball time again.

As we think of the prospect of those village greens resounding to the leathery sound (and the explicits of another soft dismissal when some of us bat), let us take ourselves to India for a Test in which all of us can get up at an earthly time or at least follow when awake.

Do NOT set your alarms early chaps and chapesses, it's a day/night match that starts at 9am UK time.

England have won their last four series and whilst the selection policy seems to be more Peter May than meticulous planning, it is working. The last Test, well, we are in India.

This match SHOULD be England's joker to play. There will likely be a green tinge (not like the Daily Mail clickbait articles suggested when they posted pictures of the pitch barely cut though). It will spin too, but how much ?

So for a few days before the next Albion match binfest strap yourself in.

With 10/11 in the last selection lottery, I'm running with this team:

My XI

Sibley
Burns
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Broad
Archer
Leach
Anderson

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I am very much looking forward to this. Hoping we can win the toss and bat until mid-afternoon on day 2, just as dusk begins and Jimmy A and Chris Woakes make it swing.

My starting XI:

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Woakes
Leach
Archer
Anderson

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll be expecting a brownish wicket with spin competing against seam.https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...all-test-virat-kohli/articleshow/81170718.cms How the pink ball with half the sesssion under lights in a new stadium for a Test move for seamers or spinners is anyone's guess.
So at 3-1 England are a great price for my series winnings to be risked yet again.

Spent a month in Gujurat and the stadium is in a beautiful location on the river just up from the peaceful setting of Ghandi's Ashram.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Good covering of grass but looks like the usual dry Indian wicket, I’d imagine that grass will be baked off over the 48 hours between this being taken and the match starting. Don’t be fooled, India would not prepare a green top for us.

DC8EAF9D-AEDF-4996-80B6-857E5A7F0A3A.jpeg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm sure Buttler will play

My guess is
Crawley
Sibley
Bairstow
Roooooooooot
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Bess
Archer
Broad
Anderson

It will be great not to have to get up at stupid o'clock; trouble is, after two weeks of little work, I'm snowed under now so can't watch much of it :(

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Looking at the Wiki page the chances of ran stopped play seem pretty remote. In my working life i have had numerous opportunities to go to India and never have , mainly for fear of health issues with asthma and allergies. Lovely people though, have worked with many and their love of cricket is such a plus.
Chennai looked fabulous and the French coast areas look especially enticing. Ahmedabad is slightly different but I am sure it is equally friendly and welcoming.
Looking forward to it to part quench the Monday football hangover......

TNBA

TTF

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm sure Buttler will play

My guess is
Crawley
Sibley
Bairstow
Roooooooooot
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Bess
Archer
Broad
Anderson

It will be great not to have to get up at stupid o'clock; trouble is, after two weeks of little work, I'm snowed under now so can't watch much of it :(

Thought Buttler had gone home under rotation

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looking forward to this with a guarded amount of optimism....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We will be 15 for 2 by 9:30.

316 all out by the close.

India will make 520 and we lose by an innings.

You heard it here first.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A Test!

That is, a test of my ability to watch it without wanting to murder the family and/or get the sack.

Sorry to be the grumpy one about the time, but getting up four hours before the rest of the house and watching cricket undisturbed by wife and kids before I even had to consider calling my boss was an absolute joy. Now I'll probably see about one ball in twelve.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A Test!

That is, a test of my ability to watch it without wanting to murder the family and/or get the sack.

Sorry to be the grumpy one about the time, but getting up four hours before the rest of the house and watching cricket undisturbed by wife and kids before I even had to consider calling my boss was an absolute joy. Now I'll probably see about one ball in twelve.

Most disappointed in you.

21 years married, the sprogs have been around a while, and utter apathy means you have to watch cricket alone.

You only had one job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Most disappointed in you.

21 years married, the sprogs have been around a while, and utter apathy means you have to watch cricket alone.

You only had one job.

The fam are the least of my worries. I have to convince my boss I'm listening to him telling me about sprint velocity.

"Do you think we need to add another developer?"

"IT WAS PITCHING OUTSIDE LEG FFS"

Hello P45

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Very much looking forward to this! Other than Butler, who else isn’t available for selection?

Jul 7, 2003
Cricket on all day in the background while working from home - try not to get too distracted everyone:angel:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It will be interesting to see who they chose between Olly Stone, Mark Wood and Jofra Archer.
Or possibly leave out the speedsters and select Anderson, Broad and Woakes who can all swing the pink ball under lights.

I reckon they will go with Anderson, Archer and Woakes (and a few overs from Stokes).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here