Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two touches in the opposition box

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know it doesn't make any difference. I know both those touches were goals. I know that means they won and we lost.

However, is there any stat-age out there regarding the fewest touches in the opposition's box in Premier League history? Has a side ever bettered (worsened?) last night's shit show?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I know there's been occasions where teams scored on their only touch inside the penalty area but two in two... possibly a record.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im pretty sure there have been zero touch in opposition area (by Palace too). two touches and two goals might be unique tough.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I know it doesn't make any difference. I know both those touches were goals. I know that means they won and we lost.

However, is there any stat-age out there regarding the fewest touches in the opposition's box in Premier League history? Has a side ever bettered (worsened?) last night's shit show?

It's that old adage, you have to take your chances at this level,

25 yes 25 ****ing shots and only 5 yes 5 on target, it ain't good enough, sort it out and quick Potter.

One home win all season, we certainly have progressed from last, torturous watch at times..:glare:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I would be interested to try to understand what that means. He scored that goal in large part because Burn wasn’t watching the ball as he turned. The probability of scoring for any striker is a lot more than 3 % given that standard of defending.

What it means, IMHO, is this new fangled "xG" stat is absolute bollocks.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Nothing the Albion 'achieves' will ever surprise me. After all we managed to lose 2-0 to Norwich in 2017 and they didn't even have a shot on target.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's that old adage, you have to take your chances at this level,

25 yes 25 ****ing shots and only 5 yes 5 on target, it ain't good enough, sort it out and quick Potter.

One home win all season, we certainly have progressed from last, torturous watch at times..:glare:

Yeah it's pretty bad.

Looking at the stats Palace got in 9 blocks so seems they did their defensive duties perfectly.

The other 11 off target is definitely concerning, at least one of those was a classic Biss "hit and hope" which I personally wish he'd cut out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was checking this morning. Benteke goal XG was 0.03 i.e. 3% chance he buries that.

I wrote this elsewhere last night...

"Benteke hits that 100 times. Probably gets it on target 10 times tops and Sanchez would save at least half of those."

...so I wasn't too far away.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I would be interested to try to understand what that means. He scored that goal in large part because Burn wasn’t watching the ball as he turned. The probability of scoring for any striker is a lot more than 3 % given that standard of defending.

I think you could take Burn out of that situation altogether, leave Benteke unmarked and sling crosses over to him all afternoon and he'd score with maybe 1 in 100, maybe less from a cross that deep and at that angle.

Meanwhile at the other end Cahill had the game of his life. Dunk has made some heroic blocks in his career, Cahill must have made 3 just in the second half.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think you could take Burn out of that situation altogether, leave Benteke unmarked and sling crosses over to him all afternoon and he'd score with maybe 1 in 100, maybe less from a cross that deep and at that angle.

Meanwhile at the other end Cahill had the game of his life. Dunk has made some heroic blocks in his career, Cahill must have made 3 just in the second half.

Reasonable point of view but weren’t we saying after Villa that their keeper had the game of his life. Surely there is something else going on when all these opposition players defy the laws of probability when they play against us ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apparently this was Bentekes 4th winning goal scored in the 90th minute or later, all-time record in the PL.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Dunk clearing off the goal line against Fulham, saved us a certain defeat.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

What does that make us though with are gazillion of touches in there box with no end result. Been going on for a while now. Pretty football doesn't win much unless you spend shedloads like City. Palace know how to win ugly and will stay up us however

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What it means, IMHO, is this new fangled "xG" stat is absolute bollocks.

Nah, it makes sense - hit that cross to him 100 times and he'll score about 3......(on a good day).

The stats are interesting, and useful for a whole load of reasons but some people put too much faith in them. They're an indication - but you can never stat the randomness of human interaction................

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Reasonable point of view but weren’t we saying after Villa that their keeper had the game of his life. Surely there is something else going on when all these opposition players defy the laws of probability when they play against us ?

Dunk clearing off the goal line against Fulham, saved us a certain defeat.

Absolutely. There is no hiding from our principle problem of scoring goals. In the games mentioned, Villa, Fulham and Palace they had a game plan of simply defending in numbers and hoping we’d give up a chance that they would take. It’s something the likes of the £700m value squads of MU, Chelsea and Spurs struggle to overcome and what we’re struggling to overcome. We don’t have a £50m Fernando or Rashford or Son or Kane to dig us out of a hole, and so we need to keep working on improving. It doesn’t necessarily happen overnight.

Wolves last season were a force with Jiminez’s goals. This season struggled to score. They haven’t gone backwards, they’ve just lost their principle attacking threat. We just need to find ours.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here